5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, painful, real
Published on 2 Aug 2004 by Dervid

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok
It's ok I chose the star three cause it ends at a bad place and it kind of drags on about her heart going thump thump but other then that it's pretty good u should get it
Published 14 months ago by charlotte connor

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, painful, real, 2 Aug 2004
Our adopted daughter, aged 8, loves this audiotape. The story is good, and very convincing. It's like a play (not a book being read). All the voices are very well "acted", and Tracy is a totally real girl seeking a new family but at heart wanting to go back to her birth mother who she knows does not want her and is no good for her so she had better find a new family (the conflict is just so for our daughter).
In the story Tracy's adopting parent, Cam, appears, as does her birth mother. The contrast is tangible. Tracy makes friends with other disadvantaged children, but the occasional cruelty between them is very real.
Get this and you'll know what life feels like on the outside of a stable family. Oh and it's also very funny in parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Story of Tracy Beaker by Jacqueline Wilson, 29 Mar 2003
By A Customer
The Story of Tracy Beaker is about a ten year old girl who lives at a childrens home. Tracy has a huge imagination and tells friends (and sworn enemies!) stories about her mum. She says that her mum couldn't look after her because she's a film star and is so busy that she can't look after her. Everyone that fosters her ends up not managing her because of her behaviour problems. There is one exception though, Cam, a writer. She understands Tracy, but sometimes Tracy doesn't understand her. Unfortunately Tracy still has to live at the childrens home. Will Tracy ever get a proper home? Find out in The Story of Tracy Beaker which has now been made into a fantastic drama on CBBC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 2 April 2008
The story plot of the book
This book is like a fictional diary and a girl, aged 10, in a foster care home, is writing in it. Follow Tracy as she writes about her life in the Dumping Ground with friends and enemies...

About the author of the book
Jacqueline Wilson is one of my favourite authors and she wrote this book! She has her own personal collection of over 15,000 books and I have about a thirtieth of that!

About the awards and sequel for the book
In 2002 this book was voted the winner of the Blue Peter People's Choice Award. The book is the first in a series of books about Tracy Beaker. The second is the `Dare Game' and there is another book called `Staring Tracy Beaker'.

My awards for the book
I would rate this brilliant book 10/ 10; I really, really enjoyed this book, to prove that I really, really enjoyed this book I couldn't put it down until the very end! I would recommend it to anyone who really likes Jacqueline Wilson's books - just like me, especially girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is so good that I don't get car sick any more!!, 15 July 2001
By A Customer
This is a great way to learn about Tracy Beaker. The lady that reads the book sounds just like how I thought Tracy would, when I read the book. She lives in a childrens home, and would love to have a proper home, but she never makes things easy! She's a bit cheeky,(very actually!!) full of beans, and is very funny. Jacqueline Wilson is my favourite author because she makes sad situations funny and interesting. Sandi Toksvig has all the right voices and accents...and I think that all parents should buy this for long and boring journeys. I like it (I'm 8) and my sister also enjoys it...she's 11. There aren't many things we agree about, but this is one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars The story of tracy beaker is about a girl, 30 April 2001
By A Customer
The story of Tracy Beaker is about a girl that was taken away from her mother, because her mum had a monster gorilla boyfriend and Tracy hated him. The boy friend beat Tracy up. They took her into care. Ever since Tracy has been hoping for her Mum to come and get her from the childrens home. Maybe she will find someone to look after her or maybe she won't. No! I'm not going to tell you what happens. This book really touched my heart, and it makes me think of children who are like that and have no home to go to. Go on give this book a go. Maybe say a little prayer for the people like our famous little character Tracy Beaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real kid's kid, 15 Jan 2003
Mrs. Sba Francis (Carmarthen, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Tracy Beaker is a real life, believable 10 year old - she's offensive, defensive, loud, obnoxious, occasionally violent, and totally lovable. If she was real I think we'd foster her!
The novel is a warm look at life as a child in care, with all the ups and downs, loves and hates that that engenders. In no way is Tracy a Pollyanna character who can see the best in every situation, but she is a gutsy and intelligent girl who just deals with all the situations that life throws at her. And this is where she is so endearing to other children - she IS naughty (sometimes, she's horrendous!), she DOES get into trouble and spends time in the quiet room - she does many things that my son could identify with, and she suffers the consequences, just as he has to! She is a child who other children can relate to. And like they have to, she just gets on with it.
The ending is open, with no decisions made, no new life to go to - but there is the hope that this will happen. And indeed, how else could Jacqueline Wilson end it? Life has no certainties in reality, no sure-fire happy endings, but it does have lashings of ups and downs and ladles of hope - and so does the novel. I - and my son - heartily recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet Tracy Beaker with her determination to be adopted, 12 July 2001
By A Customer
The setting was a very good idea because Tracy gets even wilder as she's in the home missing her mum.Also it's a very upsetting place and dramatic place. The characters that the author used were amazing! There's wild Tracy, Weedy Peter Ingham - a shy and sensitive person, Elaine the terrible social worker, Justine, Travy's rival, along with Louise, Tracy's ex-best friend.
The thing that I liked was the characters. They all had their own personality and attitude. When you read it you just have the picutre of them in your head.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tracy Beaker, One of the best books of all time!, 1 Jun 2003
This book is a very good read and i am only 12. There are lots of different points made. I could not put the book down i had to find out what tracy was going to do next! This is a very good book and i recomend it to every one and every age. There are lots of different elements from sadness to laughing. If u read this i would also recomend the Dare Game which continues Tracy's adventures. If you like the TV show you will enjoy this more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 21 Sep 2007
R. Jones (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Story of Tracy Beaker (Paperback)
This book has been on my step-daughter's book shelf for some time. I read it in about an hour and I must say it is very sweet. I can see 7-14 year olds really enjoying it. It did end a bit short but it wasn't in a terribly disappointing way. My step-daughter tries to act just like Tracy now (yikes!) and she loves the tele program. Tracy is a great character.

4.0 out of 5 stars I can totally see why it works for children, 25 Dec 2011
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Story of Tracy Beaker (Paperback)
Jacqueline Wilson is one of the most prolific and successful children's writers ever. She has done an enormous amount, and still does, to write books which engage children, talk to them about the experiences of their lives, and which do not shy away from difficult topics or patronise her readership. She is a champion of children's literature, for which I will be forever grateful. Both my girls read and re-read her books. I decided to give some of her books a whirl as the bits I have read to the girls I have found totally unappealing, but thought I was being rather unfair. I started with this, the classic Wilson. The problem I have with this book is that I am far too old to find it entertaining in any way, or to find Tracy anything other than annoying. To give credit where credit is due, Wilson writes about Tracy with sensitivity and a fine ability to make her interesting for children to read about, but also a complex, human figure. I can see why the books are so successful, but I really don't like them myself, which is probably just as well.

The Story of Tracy Beaker
The Story of Tracy Beaker by Jacqueline Wilson (Paperback - 5 Oct 2006)