5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Comeback!
Tracy Beaker is back once again! Jacqueline Wilson's best-loved, award-winning character who featured in `The Story of Tracy Beaker' and `The Dare Game' is back in this fantastically witty and moving story. This brilliant new story shows Tracy at her cheekiest and most appealing.

Tracy is ten and lives in a children's home, "The Dumping Ground", where she...
Published on 11 Mar 2007 by weird fish

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Amazing Story
My daughters review:
I re-read this book recently because I love Jacqueline Wilson and I thought I'd re-read all of my old books whilst awaiting some new books to arrive. Jacqueline was my idol and I adored every single one of her books growing up, so I knew that I would enjoy this.

Tracy Beaker is the most famous character in Jacqueline Wilson's books...
Published 2 months ago by Lisa

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Comeback!, 11 Mar 2007
This review is from: Starring Tracy Beaker (Hardcover)

Tracy is ten and lives in a children's home, "The Dumping Ground", where she longs to be reunited with her absent mother. She is desperate for a role in her school play A Christmas Carol and when she is cast the main role, Ebenezer Scrooge, she wants to know whether her mum will make it back from Hollywood in time to watch her in her starring role. However, Cam is the one helping her to learn her lines and Cam is the one Tracy ends up spending Christmas with. Tracy sadly realises that it is not her mum that she can rely on; but Cam.

Over the years, the reader has followed Tracy through the highs and lows of her life. I feel from reading this book and every other Tracy Beaker book that I know her and am fond of her. Jacqueline Wilson makes her not only a sad, aggressive and boisterous person but also vulnerable, sensitive, creative and extremely cheeky indeed!

As a 14 year old I utterly loved this book. It is hilarious and heartbreaking and I recommend it to all ages from 7 upwards. Tracy Beaker has never been so vibrant and entertaining! Enjoy this masterpiece!

5.0 out of 5 stars She's Back!!!!, 17 Feb 2007
C. Kelly (Solihull, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starring Tracy Beaker (Hardcover)
Description of story and main characters:
Beaker is back and she's desperate to be in her school play (A Christmas Carol) to impress her film star mum.

What I think about the book:
Tracy is the narrator of the story and she tells us about her life.

Before I read the book I always thought children in orphanages were sad, worried and frightened, because of the films Oliver and Annie. Sad because no one cares about them. Worried because they might be put with someone mean. Frightened because the care workers assaulted them.

Jacqueline Wilson's book changed the way I thought about kids in care. Kids have fun and they feel happy, content and safe. They also experience the wonderful feeling of having brothers and sisters. The carers look after them in same way as parents.

I was surprised to see a swear word in the book.

Jacqueline Wilson develops the characters throughout the book. The structure of her writing is without chapters, consequently the narrative continues without stopping from the beginning to the end of the story. This made it difficult to put the book down.

Recommendation:
In conclusion, I think that this book was fabulous. I feel this book should only be read by 10 years and over because of the swear word. Will Justine be mean or will Tracy get her revenge? Read this book to find out!!

Lara Aged 11

4.0 out of 5 stars Gobsmackingly Great, 18 Oct 2006
This review is from: Starring Tracy Beaker (Hardcover)
Yes, it has been fifteen years since Tracy first hit stores nationwide, but she is back again to delight us in another fabulous book from Jacqueline Wilson, Children's Laureate 2005-2007. This time, she's landed herself the main part in the school play of 'A Christmas Carol'. Who better to play Ebenezer Scrooge than Tracy Beaker?

Amidst learning her lines in preparation for the big performance, Tracy has one desperate wish which, if it came true, would be the highlight of her year. The wish is that her superstar Mum would come and watch the school play starring her daughter. And Tracy is convinced that she will make it.

Read this fantastic episode with Tracy Beaker and be thrown right back to the Dumping Ground - remember Justine Littlewood? Nothing has changed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beakers back!, 31 Dec 2006
jaxder (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starring Tracy Beaker (Hardcover)
Beakers back, and this time she's desperate for a part in the school play, as ebenarzer scrooge in the christmas carol.But it all goes a bit wrong when Tracy finds herself thinking she might not even get a part at all!Plus she's certain that her "super famous" mum will come to see her playing the star role[thats if she gets it!].This is a really fab book and i recomend it to all Beaker fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Starring Tracy Beaker (Paperback)
Fantastic

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 29 Jun 2014
this book is Incredible to read. It is dramatic and funny. Out of 5, I'd give it 4. My favourite part is Tracy's Christmas.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Amazing Story, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Starring Tracy Beaker (Paperback)
My daughters review:

Tracy Beaker is the most famous character in Jacqueline Wilson's books. She has a movie adaptation, a series and even an ongoing spinoff set of series' just from Tracy's story. Tracy is loud, aggressive and most of all: she lives in care. She is known for her lies and her stories she tells whenever her mum is mentioned (Tracy claims she is an actress), and with people like Justine Littlewood around (her arch enemy!) Tracy has to find herself believing in her mums acting career to keep her going.

Starring Tracy Beaker, may be the third novel in the collection of Tracy's life, however this book is actually set before the book The Dare Game. It was slightly confusing to me, but I still went with it as you can read them in any order you like. Tracy is still in the care home and she has potential foster mother, Cam, set up. However, Tracy still longs and hopes that her mum would adore her and desire for her as much as Tracy does for her mum. The book is set at the festive time of Christmas and Tracy is picked to perform in the school play, and she is determined that her mum will come to admire her acting skills and whisk her away. However, like all good Jacqueline Wilson books: nothing ever goes to plan and Tracy is left on this path of finding herself and rediscovering her true traits, before being faced with the heartbreaking truth.

The characters in this book, are the same characters we all love. Tracy hasn't changed...much! She is slightly more grown up and goes through phases of caring more, and when the truth hits her she is a lot more grown up and understanding. She takes it rather then hiding it with a warped imaginative story. Cam, Jenny, Mike, Louise, Peter and Justine are thoroughly mentioned, as they are part of Tracy's growing life, and all of them are portrayed beautifully so that you can accept and love each character to your own will. There are a few new characters in this book, however they are mostly teachers and it begins to highlight how some children are treated in their school life, however they are not overly impactive on Tracy's experience in the book, apart from one small time.

Personally, the structure of the book was a little bit all over the place for me. I like to read books with chapters because I use chapters for bookmarked areas where I put the book down. This book: did not have chapters. Not a massive problem, as I still enjoyed the book. And of course, there could be reasons for Jacqueline to have set her book like this. It could be: Tracy's conscious stream of thought or even a semi-journal thing that isn't a diary so it doesn't have to be sectioned off. However, I like the first person perspective and the whole idea of telling a story, as this can be engaging for a younger reader and help them create empathetic feelings towards individual characters.

I think Jacqueline has managed to successfully highlight the life of a care-home living child. She has managed to highlight how a child who feels abandoned would act out and how children homes may not be nasty places, but they are a haunting memory for children who have lived there. Also, she successfully touches on the harsh truth of a parent not wanting a child, and she does it in such a subtle way that you almost feel more towards the character instead of processing the thought of the horrid parent leaving their child behind.

A really lovely book that I think a younger reader would thoroughly enjoy. Although I am not the target audience anymore, I still enjoyed the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 10 Jun 2014
this book is awesome every one would love this tracy has been through very rough times and I find my self sometimes retaliating to some of her problems. I would recommend to ages 8-13 please download this book today you won't regret it !!!!!!! :-D x

5.0 out of 5 stars Tracy Beaker amazing, 17 May 2014
Tracy Beaker is a very good book and funny it is the best book ever I love Tracy Beaker yes

5.0 out of 5 stars Starring Tracy Beaker, 26 April 2014
Starring Tracy Beaker makes my son giggle constantly, he has read many of these books in the series and loves them all, also good is David Walliams with his Dahl-esque talent, so order away...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Starring Tracy Beaker
Starring Tracy Beaker by Jacqueline Wilson (Paperback - 5 July 2007)