5.0 out of 5 stars Feeding the Younger Imagination, 6 July 2006
J. Lawrence "ashhousebooks" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures) (Paperback)
A superb book for the transition between reading programmes and novels for pre-teenage children - appreciated as this is not so well served at present. Continues the surprisingly effective blend of visually evocative writing, fantastic but logical multi-threaded plot, and resonant illustration found in all the Stewart/Riddell books, but manages to use simpler elements accessable to younger children without disturbing the balance (possibly even improving it). Proved to be an excellent bedtime read for a five year old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 20 Dec 2004
Claretta (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a really delightful book although not startlingly original, as it mixes elements from many other children's stories. However it's done with such charm and enthusiasm, and the illustrations are so amusing, that it takes on a character all of its own. Highly recommended to children aged 7 upwards (or a great bedtime read).

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Brilliant book!, 26 Mar 2004
Paul Stewart and Chris Riddel have done it again! Another spectaculer book about a young boy called Fergus Crane who is sent a mechanical horse to come meet his long lost uncle and his friends who turn out to be pirates! A briliant book which you can't put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Adventure Story, 28 Oct 2007
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures) (Paperback)
These books are fantastic for those children who are confident at reading, but who are not yet ready to tackle a complete novel on their own. The text is broken up with excellent illustrations which are as entertaining as the story itself and are brilliant if you, like me, are reading these books to children of mixed ages and abilities because there is always something to interest everyone. This is the first in the series of far flung adventures by the pair who brought us the Edge Chronicles. these are for slightly younger readers, but have all the pace, excitement and humour of their other books. Fergus attends a floating school with strange lessons in pot holing and menacing teachers. At the same time he begins to receive messages through small silver boxes with wings that fly into his bedroom at nights and draw him into the most amazing adventure of his young life. Intelligently written and good for parents and kids alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, you won't be disappointed., 20 Nov 2007
Me (Rugby, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures) (Paperback)
Great book - interesting illustrations, pacy story, imaginative vocabulary and good to read to yourself or aloud. I read this to my younger 2 - girl (9), boy (8) - and we all looked forward keenly to the next chapter. The eldest (11) nicked it and read it in an evening and my daughter (by no means a keen reader) went on to find other books by the same authors (Hugo Pepper, Corby Flood, Ottoline the ?something?) and read them herself. I was initially attracted by the illustrations and hoped that they would make a 'real' book less intimidating to my children. I was delighted to discover that the story was well worth reading on its own; the pictures merely enhanced it further. I'd recommend it highly for both sexes between 5 and 12 -either to have read to them or to read themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful adventure story, 9 April 2009
This review is from: Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures) (Paperback)
A delightfully engaging adventure story for young children and a breath of fresh air compared to much of the simple-minded and formulaic fare aimed at this age group. Divided into numerous short and snappy chapters, we found this a perfect bedtime read for our 6 year old son who can't wait to get hold of the next 'Far Flung Adventure'! He loved the little illustrations throughout the book which helped him to absorb the rich vocabulary. Well written, cunningly illustrated, by turns exciting, amusing and heartwarming - a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hit with children!, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures) (Paperback)
I used this book to create a drama and art workshop for children aged 5-12yrs. The children absolutely loved it, including the illustrations and especially the pirate/teachers. It is well written and full of action.Great for firing imaginations and identifying with the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures) (Paperback)
This a charming little book that I bought for my daughter; she thoroughly enjoyed it and has read it more than once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful series!, 30 Dec 2013
Milady (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures) (Paperback)
I've been reading this and the next two books in the series (Corby Flood and Hugo Pepper) to my children aged 6 and 4 and we've all enjoyed it thoroughly. It is incredibly well-written (without being too complicated), suspenseful, funny, touching, very original and full of ingenious ideas. I find it to be as enjoyable for myself as for my kids. The illustrations are delicate and detailed and add another layer to the books. A must-read, especially if you've read the classic children's books over and over again and want something different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far Flung adventures a page turner!!, 15 Sep 2013
M. Line (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures) (Paperback)
I was looking for a book to take my 7yr old daughter to the next level of reading and to wanting to read independently. Currently we read to each other and is just starting to read to herself.
We started with Madame Pamplemousse and Ottoline - both also excellent books for this transition - and found the same author of the Ottoline series wrote Far Flung adventures, so we decided to try it.
We were not disappointed. The story is about a small boy who's father went missing before he was born. He and his mother live in an attic apartment of a building where his mother works in the bakery - located on the ground floor. The building has several apartments each with interesting tenants. There is lots of adventure, twists and revelations. Our pact of one chapter a night soon turned to two or three because some of the chapters can't be left till the next night.
We thoroughly enjoyed this book and have just bought Corby Flood far flung adventures. We haven't started it yet as we are in the middle of Ottoline at sea (by the same author - fantastically illustrated we think). Will review once we have read.

Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures)
Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures) by Chris Riddell (Paperback - 7 April 2005)
5.24