Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 February 2003
A great novel for readers of 8 and over, although younger ones may not get the jokes! This story is about Lila, who wants to be a firework maker. Her dad isn't keen because she's a girl (!), so she goes on a quest to achieve her ambition. On the way she meets some hilarious characters (parents will enjoy reading it for the eternally optomistic Rambashi alone) and takes part in exciting adventures. This novel is about working hard to achieve your dreams. My children found it funny and inspiring - they started to talk and think about their ambitions and laughed out loud at the jokes.
on 10 November 2001
The Firework Makers Daughter is a great story about a young girl with a big ambitition.Wanting to follow in her fathers footsteps by becoming a firework maker,leads her through an adventure through jungles and caves,till she meets the ultimate firework makers test.I love this book and thats because it is so imaginative and mysterious.In compaarison to say Enid Blytons books,this book matches her standard of writing if it is not better.An unforgetable story that's not to be missed.
on 7 March 2013
Why or why didn't I read the reviews!! This is not a book but a script and so haven't read it. I'm sure it's very good....but I wanted a book to read. Disappointed.
HALL OF FAMEon 12 January 2006
Lila longs to be a fire-work maker, but her father is appalled at the idea she might follow in his footsteps, so tells her she can only achieve her heart's desire if she sets off to ask the Fire fiend. Her best friend the elephant boy, riding on the white elephant Hamlet, follows hot on her heels because Lila doesn't know that to survive she needs water from the goddess of the lake... and even if they succeed, Lila's father may be executed by the furious emperor unless she wins the contest. Rich with comic incidents (especially the bandit turned chef)it is one of the very best books you could read aloud to a 5 year old or give to a 7 year old.
A wonderful tale about how you can only get your heart's desire - especially as an artist - if you dare much and work for it, this is even better because of Peter Bailey's new illustrations for it.
VINE VOICEon 10 April 2004
I first read this book when I was about 8 and remembered it for a long time after, always wanting to read it again. On the off chance I tried Amazon to see if they had it, when I saw it I bought it immediately and I am glad I did.
Pullman is the master at creating a story which pulls you in and places you right in the action. You can not put this book down, and when you have finished you will want to read it again soon after. Sutiable for all ages this book will never get old and will live with you for a long time.
on 17 October 2013
Like everyone else, I bought this thinking it was the book not the script, very misleading, have rated it one star because it won't let you give none
on 17 June 2012
I was very disappointed when I received the "book" that it was in fact a script for the play. It was not clear in the Product Description that this was a script for the play. I should have read the other review.
Amazon - Can you please source the book for Kindle?!
I can't comment on the content of the "book", so my rating of 2 is only related to the dissatisfaction in not having the actual book.
on 30 October 2012
Like the other reviewers, I presumed this was the book, not a script.
Amazon's product descriptions are generally very poor.
Please improve these, and publish the book instead of the script!
on 22 October 2012
i agree with the other reviewer. I too purchased this book only to find that it is not the book but the script for a stage play. it is very misleading, Amazon please could you amend the description to state that this is a script not the novel.
on 27 November 2010
This books reads like a classic childrens book. The poor firework makers daughter wanting to be like her father and make fireworks. Her father on the other hand wands his only child to be married off as soon as possible, oh yes he does love her but being a single parent in india, he finds life a struggle. This book is full of the important things in life, its full of highs and lows, love and heros and should appeal to a variety of age groups.