5.0 out of 5 stars don't be put off by the skeleton on the cover -
'Clockwork' is one of the miniature marvels of modern storytelling, a thrilling tale about good versus evil, kindness versus selfishness and life versus art. The tape, read by Anton Lesser, has just kept my children spellbound in the car for its entire duration.
The great clock of Glockenheim (which really exists)features clockwork figures that come out and move at...
Published on 18 April 2003 by A. Craig

3.0 out of 5 stars listen on and on
This amazind tape makes you listen on and on. With brill comentray and hours fo fun. if you have not listened to it before why not now. This time i promise you will not be dissapointed.
Published on 22 Jan 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that got my son reading!, 14 Aug 2011
This review is from: Clockwork (Paperback)
Getting my son reading has been like pulling teeth, as long as there is a football to kick around, or a computer game to play. However, "Clockwork" was the first book that really got him gripped. On a holiday 2 years ago, aged 8, he read it from cover to cover, and could hardly put it down. When he wasn't reading it, he couldn't stop talking about it. Thank you Philip Pullman for teaching my son how wonderful books can be!!

3.0 out of 5 stars listen on and on, 22 Jan 2001
By A Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but could have been better, 25 Aug 2008
NARV (Hereford, The Marches) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clockwork (Paperback)
This is typical Pullman stuff - fantastical, pleasantly grim and unconventional. In this case the story is about clock makers in Germany, and though no specific date is given, it can be assumed that it is around the turn of the nineteenth century. In the margin there are occasional text boxes containing extra information, as though the voice of the author, which adds a little extra context.

The tale itself contains a story within a story, and this, along with the fact that the subject matter concerns time, has inspired Pullman to be inventive with chronology. This is a nice idea, but isn't so good in it's execution, leaving it a little confusing in places, though without detracting from the story. It is very readable, and surprisingly violent for it's target audience (this would have a younger readership than His Dark Materials) - at one point a man is killed by being stabbed through the neck by a clockwork knight. A good book, but not quite there.

4.0 out of 5 stars :), 17 Feb 2008
N. O'NEILL "Tash" (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clockwork (Paperback)
I first read this story when I was ten and now, eight years later, I'm still utterly blown away by it. I've read so many books over the years that many fade and merge together, however, this was one of those tales which has always simply stuck with me. It's eerie and creepy and so completely well written and devised that I would reccomend this to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good., 20 May 2012
This review is from: Clockwork (Paperback)
I must admit that I actually expected even more about this book because of all the good words I have read here in amazon. It is a good story and I read in order to practise and improve my English so it's a good option after all, but you know, I almost expected a kind of a masterpiece and even though it's an entertaining book (with scary moments) I felt a little disappointed when I finished it. Perhaps I did'n understand it, o my English is not as good as I thought. Anyway, I'm going to keep on practising with Pullman's books ;)
Surely, for children at the age of 9-13 must be a great shor story. I wish I had read books like this when child.

5.0 out of 5 stars philip pullman, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Clockwork (Paperback)
bought for my son to read, seems a good book but he's not had the chance to read it yet

3.0 out of 5 stars Clockwork the Report, 3 Mar 2003
Abdul (Johnstone, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clockwork (Paperback)
This story was quite good but it was hard to understand because one second it's talking about somebody and the other second it's talking about somebody else.
The book is a mixture of mystery and horror.
The story is about the towns people waiting for the new masterpiece that Karl made for the clock but the thing is he hasn't made one which he tells Fritz.
What will come out the clock? you'll have to read it yourself.
I would recommend it to a person who likes horror and mysteries.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Clockwork
Clockwork by Philip Pullman (Paperback - 4 Nov 2004)