Sunita's Secret (Bindi Babes)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£4.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 9 February 2012
How can you prove good when you're described badly?
By Lydia Lampiri

Sunita's Secret by Narinder Dhami is a fantastic book with an even better moral "Don't judge people by their wealth, or past or their family", because the characters are very realistic and the plot well thought. The characters are great. They are a great example of a typical middle school; they're popular ones, poor ones, ugly ones, mean ones, stupid ones, etc. The author has a great vocabulary and shows it in the attitude and has a way and through that you can "see" who is speaking without reading "said..." and that is rare to find in books.

The story goes like this; Sunita's father is accused of being a major criminal; her family has gone from ultra rich to ultra poor. Her father has disappeared and she, her mother and siblings have moved to a small house very far away from their original house. When Sunita goes to a new school, everybody acts mean to her because of her fathers issue. Sunita wants to prove that she's good, kind and be no harm for anybody. Sunita's Secret talks about a girl's life after her father got accused of being a criminal.

The characters of the book are very well written and remind you of real people with stereotypes, like at the school, when Sunita's secret was told, and everybody was mean to her because they thought she was a thief like her father, and because of that, whenever something got lost, they would accuse her for stealing it which I think is very mean and a bit on the racist side which makes the book even more interesting by making you think. ``Wow. I wonder what will happen next"

I really liked the author's use of language and dialogue and here is an example: "Well, well, well," Zara said not at all quietly. "The mayoral family lowering themselves to eat with common people." I really liked the attitude of Zara and I think that you can see or read the irony of the sentence, where Zara is insulting them but also making fun of them for eating in a fast food.
I think that there should be ANOTHER book or a longer ending because the ending just says: "Dad, we love you. Will you please come home?" Which I think is the WORST way to end a book because you can't read anymore and then you have to guess what happens with their lives its like saying "The End" when the book gets at its best part, and that is what I hate in those types of books. I think that 2 or 3 more chapters AT LEAST would bring a better ending.

I would really recommend this book to people between 11 and 13 who are realistic fiction lovers. Although the book has its goods and some bads but it still remains a good book, Sunita's Secret has a fantastic plot, awesome dialog but a bad ending. Still, I think that it's a fantastic book if you really like to read about peoples lives' and what happens to them when EVERYTHING else goes wrong, you should read this book.
on 17 October 2007
Narinder Dhami makes the world a better place in which to live. Her Coppergate School series is full of heartwarming characters often overcoming tremendous obstacles through honesty, integrity and determination. It's difficult to think of better role models.

In 'Sunita's Secret,' we move away from the world of Amber, Geena and Jazz - the Bindi Babes - and explore the trials and tribulations of another batch of Coppergate pupils. It's a neat idea, opening up the possibility of many more stories centred around different members of the Coppergate world, with previous characters making cameo appearances as in this one.

As always, the story is told with great energy and drive - easy reading but with greater depth than you find in most teenage series. It's a joy from start to finish - and I hope there's a sequel. The sooner the BBC picks Coppergate up for a TV series, the better.
on 6 May 2009
I borrowed this book from my school library, then I liked it so much I went and bought my own. I really liked the character of Sunita and how she coped with her family losing all their money (her dad is a thief and is on the run from the police). The story isn't so depressing though because Sunita starts doing secret good deeds at school for people. I think this is a great idea! The ending is kind of interesting because you think dad is going to come back but he doesn't. I think it's kind of cool though not to have everything finish in a happy ever after kind of way.
on 31 May 2011
Although I know Narinder Dhami personally, I love her books! Every one is different and has a gripping story line. Sunita's Secret is about Sunita, whose Dad is on the run from the police, and she's finding it hard to fit into a new school. She has had to leave everything and everyone she knows behind, and live in a tiny house with her mum, and twin siblings.
Narinder has a serious story but adds humour in some places and it just brings the story together, I think she is a truly amazing and inspirational author! Not a book to be missed.