Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 November 2005
I read this to my two sons age 10 and 8 as a change from their own reading. We all loved it. Everyone reviewing him defaults to Pullman's merits as "a storyteller"- but you just cant avoid admiring the beautiful characterisations, imaginative locations (that dreamlike otherworldliness in just about all his work), and perfect pace. Reading this aloud was a treat- the dialogue is light and flows (in stark contrast to JKR!) and the pace is well judged throughout. The storyline (a scarecrow who comes to life and deems to take on a rootless boy through a series of risky confrontations) places this book firmly for kids who love a good yarn, (and adults who love a good childrens book).
on 24 January 2014
I liked this book because it was funny and an adventure.I think the idea of a scarecrow and his servant is unique and I really like the characters. I particularly liked the part where the scarecrow fell in love with a broom!
I felt that some language was a bit hard to understand and so I would probably recommend this book for children that are at least 8 years old.
I have given this book 3 stars because I felt that it took a while to get into as the start seemed a bit slow but once it gets going its great.
I would possibly like to read more books by Philip Pullman in the future.
on 13 March 2010
My nine year old boy was given this as a present. I thought it might be a bit un-sophisticated but having looked at it i found the language very enriching. My son ( a well read boy) loved it. He thought it was hilarious, and raced through it.

The times review said it was excellent also while one reviewer here said it was rubbish. I urge you to ignore the rubbish review.
VINE VOICEon 25 January 2006
Philip Pullman is quickly becoming the most important children's writer of not only this time, but of all time. With 'His Dark Materials' he helped give critical credibility to the genre and inspired young readers with with his fantasic multiple universes and daemons. But is perhaps his ability to speak to children on their level that Pullman really sets himself apart from the rest.
In 'Scarecrow' Pullman not only deals with friendship and what it means to be a friend but he also brings into question the nature of captilaism. But this is never done in a manner that could be considered preaching. He paints a picture and then lets the audience make up their minds thus giving children the respect they deserve.
On the whole this is a quaint, enjoyable tale. The pce is rip roaring, the prose crisp and to the point while the geography of the text is astounding for such a short work. If it wasn't for the ending 'Scarecrow' would certainly have deserved the full fivestars. As it is the climax is arguably the most stilted part of the book. The element of believability seems to fade slightly - only slightly - but it puts a downer on an otherwise great book that will, no doubt, be read for years. And if I seem like I'm nit picking then Pullman only has himself to blame. If he hadn't set such high standards with his previous work then we wouldn't expect so bloody much, would we?! I look forward to his next release as ever
on 22 June 2013
Got this to read with my class. It would not suit the younger age group, so good for age 11 upwards, as some of the language is old fashioned and needs explanation, for example,'brigands.'
on 28 March 2011
A memorable little fairy tale which playfully mocks a variety of institutions with its inventive use of language. Many discussion points for children and parents eg Pollution, politics and war all approached with gentle simplicity, which make the issues understandable and interesting for a wide age range.
on 30 January 2015
My 10 year old son's favourite book. Sweet and gentle, beautiful language, and mystically old fashioned. Phillip Pullman writes children's books that you really like your children to read or be read to.
on 10 December 2013
Came the day after we ordered!, was an excellent surprise top have it next day and also in perfect condition. Looks like brand new. Good book for P5.
on 12 December 2013
A lovely range of stories from this author suitable for KS2 children. Odd words may give them nightmares though if read at bedtime!
on 14 June 2014
The item was received within the time scale stated. The price is reasonable and the children absolutely love the book.