5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read!
As a retired federal law enforcement official and former instructor at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Brunswick, Georgia, I am familiar with Gavin De Becker and his Mosaic systems. So it should be no surprise that I rated "Protecting The Gift" at 5-stars. This one picks up right where "The Gift of Fear" left off. I was...
Published on 23 May 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars "The Gift of Fear"...rehashed
I am a big fan of Gavin De Becker. I found "The Gift of Fear" helpful, intelligent and, often, frighteningly insightful. I have recommended it many times. That said, I am sad to report that I think it extremely misleading to present "Protecting The Gift" as a new book. Anecdotes aren't just warmed over, they're served up word for word. Whole...
Published on 10 Jun 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have..., 14 Dec 2012
Stace (Stafford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe (and Parents Sane) (Paperback)
This book is a 'must have' for all parents, and came as a real revelation to me! I just wish I'd had it years ago when my son was much younger. It gives you some really basic (but obvious) things to think about which as adults you take for granted, but it makes you think about things from a child's perspective.

Would highly recommend this book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Gavin de becker gives invaluable information that will help you better protect your children and yourself, 9 Aug 2014
A must read for parents and mothers everywhere, and even those that work in the education sector. Gavin de becker gives invaluable information that will help you better protect your children and yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gavin De Becker is my hero, 24 Aug 1999
By A Customer
What can I say about this wonderful book and the incredible manwho wrote it. His words have helped me immensely in many aspects of my life, not just in parenting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hard-edged, reality check, must read for all parents!, 19 July 1999
By A Customer
As the mother of a beautiful baby girl and survivor of molestation by a family friend, I've become somewhat obsessed with doing whatever it takes to make sure my daughter stays safe. This book contains a lot of hard facts, statistical data, and some disturbing anecdotes, all conveyed with compassion and understanding. Gavin DeBecker's book made me take a hard look at my fears and sort the rational from the crazed, and focused my attention to what we can all do to keep our children out of harm's way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good book with great advice, 26 Aug 1999
By A Customer
As a parent of four I must say I really enjoyed this book. We can never be too overprotective of our children. It's a dangerous and crazy world out there. Another book that has helped me understand the violence among children, teenagers and from adults toward children, especially in the chapter on Identity Crisis, is Dietmar Scherf's "I Love Me: Avoiding & Overcoming Depression"--I highly recommend it for every parent...it's available at Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book so important, I give it as a baby shower gift!, 14 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This is the best book I've read to address the safety of our children. It is genius in its simplicity...you could teach very young kids his tactics without ever scaring them. I give this book as a baby shower gift to all of my friends because it is that important.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but repetition of first book., 1 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Excellent stand alone book, but those who read his first one will find that about half of this new book is pure repetion of the first. I felt cheated that I paid the price of a full book but only half was new.

5.0 out of 5 stars For parents, educators and anyone concerned with children., 13 July 1999
By A Customer
Once again, Mr. de Becker has allowed us his wonderful insights and common sense about how we can trust ourselves when we choose to listen. If everyone could read this book and learn to be aware of the natural phenomenon referred to as intuition, we could also set ourselves as an example to our children and start a new generation of safer societies and less stress, tension, hostility that is based on unwarranted fears and the sadness too often born in hindsight of those missed or ignored intuitions. Please read this book and take every suggestion to heart. I would encourage everyone to also read his earlier book The Gift of Fear for the same reasons applied to your own protection and safety. If you are unaware of how to truly protect yourself, you cannot be aware enough to protect your children. Sincerely, Barbara Reynolds, M.S., CCC-A Clinical Audiologist

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to read this book!!! Very informational., 11 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This is definately a must read for all parents, grandparents, etc. It also wouldn't hurt if daycare providers, and pediatricians read it as well.
This book has become my "token gift" to those with children or who are expecting.
It is a wonderful resource and a great source of encouragement that even in these times of turmoil in our nation, there are things that parents can do to keep their children safe, and still remain sane.
Thank you Gavin, for an incredible book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, so many great tips, I've underlined most of book!, 2 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I read his first book, Gift of Fear, which really changed me. Now this new book is my leading gift to give any new mother or any mother at all. It's like an owner's manual for protecting our kids. DeBecker's first book touched on child safety in a couple of chapters, but this whole book is keenly focused of keeping kids safe and keeping me as a parent from worrying too much. No wonder Oprah did two shows on this book; it's worth it!

Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe (and Parents Sane)
8.94