4.0 out of 5 stars Profound but a bit long-winded
Published on 16 Feb 2006 by T. Kaneko

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit long winded but with some interesting ideas
I could see how this book might appeal more to the enthusiastic American rather than the practical and slightly more cynical Anglo Saxon. I enjoyed that his concepts and ideas made me think but I was looking for more practical actions to take having decided what my attitude to money is. If it is about our psychological attitudes to money then read The Psychology of...
Published on 6 Aug 2008 by Stephen C. Wilkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars Profound but a bit long-winded, 16 Feb 2006
T. Kaneko (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Seven Stages of Money Maturity: Understanding the Spirit and Value of Money in Your Life (Paperback)
"Seven Stages" seriously challenged my view of and relationship to money. I bought this book after reading a profile of the author in the FT, where he explained his belief that "life is about finding out what is profoundly important to you." Money management isn't just about scrimping and saving but also about giving us the freedom so that it can be spent in a way that is important to us. But he does rabbits on for a good 350 pages and the message could have been delivered in 150 pages. If it had been, I suspect it would have been a best seller. A real shame. I hope he writes a condensed version to follow up. Neither am I a new age Buddhist so I got frustrated with some of his wishy washy spiritual passages. But I would still recommend this book to everyone I know because it could change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far and away the most USEFUL book about money available., 2 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I have read most of the money books that are around and they have all been helpful to various degrees. But now there is a book available that takes money issues to a completely new level. Kinder's experience as a financial planner combined with his understanding of how the mind works from his work as a Buddhist practitioner and teacher has provided anyone with the opportunity to discover the real core of our money issues.
If you have any issues around money, and most people I know do, read this book. You will find it entertaining, practical, and most important you will discover the REAL ISSUES that are keeping you from being at ease around money AND the tools to transform those issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best book on money I have ever read., 4 May 1999
By A Customer
As an investment advisor for the last twelve years serving the needs of clients with assets ranging from $50,000 to $50 million, I have been most struck by the similarities among my clients rather than the differences. The 7 stages have helped me deal with money issues that are shared by all of us. These include: guilt around having too much money, not being able to save money or spend money, worrying too much about money, being too carefree about money, feeling that money corrupts, thinking that earning money must be a struggle. This book relates stories and practical techniques that have helped me and my clients become more at ease around these money issues. As I and my clients have worked through these money obstacles, our business, work, and family lives have improved, and our self-esteem has increased. Money is the most difficult issue to address--more so than sex. This book provides the tools and the inspiration to help all of us delve into the issue that brings up so much emotion. We spend so much time on money (making it, worrying about it, spending it), and so little time using it for personal growth and transformation. We marry without having the necessary money communication skills to deal with our spouse--yet money is the number one cause of divorce. We all need to get more comfortable talking about money, discovering what we value and why, and shedding old or disabling beliefs about money.
This is the perfect book for anyone who earns money, spends money, or thinks he or she would be happier with more money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, non-"traditional" insights into personal finances, 2 April 1999
By A Customer
George Kinder takes us to another level in our lifelong obsession with money and what it can "do" for us...but this level is very, very different from that which we'd expect. As with Jacob Needleman's "Money and the Meaning of Life," Kinder's book delves into the much deeper meaning and impact of money...and "stuff"...in our lives. He develops insights into the earliest inklings about money we encounter in our young lives and gently leads us through the seven (by his count) stages of maturation we experience on our march through life. George comes to us from a holistic practice of money understanding...an avid financial practitioner who has worked with thousands of individuals, helping each through their financial lives. Often, he has encountered multi-generational money/financial needs, with the varied and unusual outcomes that materialize as new and different perspectives are applied to age-old money situations. This book is a must read for: the financial practitioner; those who have "angst" about their financial well-being - whether a feeling that there's not enough, or, seemingly paradoxically, a feeling there's too much; those who're starting out and want a better understanding of their feelings about income/assets and what it can/should do, especially in achieving life goals requiring financial wherewithall; and those who are et the tail-end of their lives and wish to consider "resolving" their aggregation and, perhaps, insuring a legacy of gifting/giving - whether to inheritors or to charitable organizations. George himself is what financial planners should be - considered, considerate, caring, informed and comprehensive. He's a model practitioner, his book helps us understand the philosophy that has made him such a respected mentor in the field of financial planning. Put this book on your 1999 "must read" list!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book! I will truly benefit from it., 28 May 1999
By A Customer
The author really gets at the heart, for me, of what money problems are all about on a very deep level. I think i've come out of reading it with an understanding of how feelings about money function in my everyday life, and that is invaluable. More than that, he gives me some ways of changing my realtionship to money in very concrete ways that will change my life. This book is unique in that respect -- it digs deep, and although i've worried about money, i've never understood very clearly why. The Buddhist perspective he brings to the discussion seems right on. Bravo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Money, money, money, 15 Dec 2004
You'll never handle money (no matter what currency)the same way again once you've read this book. Lots of light bulb moments. You are bound to recognise your self in this book and then recognise others around you with their money behaviour. Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars What is your relation to money?, 15 Nov 2009
Mariusz Skonieczny "Author" (classicvalueinvestors com) - See all my reviews
I have read many books on the subject of money, but this one is different. The author talks about our relationship with money. For example, some people feel guilty that they are earning money while others are struggling. Others believe that money is evil. According to the author, achieving money maturity means resolving our inner conflicts around money. It is about discovering a sense of ease around money.

I think that other books fall short as far as explaining why we do what we do with our money. They do not answer questions such as why we spend our money on certain products. This book goes deeper and tries to help us answer those questions from within. This book was definitely an interesting read.

- Mariusz Skonieczny, author of Why Are We So Clueless about the Stock Market? Learn how to invest your money, how to pick stocks, and how to make money in the stock market

5.0 out of 5 stars If money causes you suffering, there is no better book!, 8 April 1999
By A Customer
This is the first book I've read that encompasses almost any money issue. As a financial planner myself, I'm often hard-pressed to recommend books to clients. One book is much too technical. Another is so wishy-washy that you never quite feel how it connects to your everyday money life. The recent wave of money gurus are getting rich off of simplicity, but their material is so rooted in the practicalities of money, that they never address the root causes of most people's suffering, which lie way beyond the rules of investing & taxes.
George Kinder's new book is the best balance of great practical information, exercises to take you back into the roots of your money anxieties, and entertaining stories to learn from. If you're considering a book on money, this should be the one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Relief for those suffering from money angst!, 14 April 1999
By A Customer
This book is a wonderful financial book for anyone who wants to develop a sense of ease in their "money life": it is full of stories--thus, very interesting to read; full of practical financial information, and most importantly, full of easy to do exercises that will lead to an understanding of the role of money in our life. The premise is that we all have painful money memories that are today impacting how we function around money--do we charge enough for our work? Are we comfortable investing? Have we identified our life goals and organized our money accordingly? Do we have problems with spouses and friends because of money? George Kinder's book can address ALL these issues AND any others you have about finances.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're uneasy about how your family taught you to treat money, this is the book for you, 10 Mar 2013
N. Root - See all my reviews
George Kinder is doing something much more subtle than the average investment book. He's saying that our earliest attitudes to money come from our families and these attitudes may, or may not be wise. If they're not that wise we need to grow out of them, knowing more, understanding ourselves and having the energy to act. He's a Buddhist and a financial adviser and he tells us some of his clients' stories to illustrate his points. So why not five stars? His section near the end on practical investing is out of date (the book is copyright 1999) and is too certain about the long term benefits of some parts of the stock market for my taste, though there are laudable caveats every so often. If George were to do a seminar near me, I'd go.

Used & New from: £0.26