4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing but brilliant
Published on 14 April 2013 by Mrs. K. A. Wheatley

3.0 out of 5 stars Recommended
This book was a gripping story. It looks at Roman life through the eyes of the tigers and so gives a very different view than most historical novels. The tension of what would happen next kept you constantly thinking about it, especially the ending in the arena which has you fixed right to the end, riveting. As a romantic I was dissapointed by the ending, but it was by no...
Published on 25 Mar. 2005

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing but brilliant, 14 April 2013
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tiger, Tiger (Paperback)
I'm really not sure how I feel about this book. I work as a librarian/story teller in a primary school and it is one of the books we have in sets, and which we give out as guided reading material in class sometimes. I like to stay reasonably up to date with what the children are reading and being made to read, and I rate Lynne Reid Banks as an excellent writer, both of children and adult fiction. I had never read this, so I took it home. I finished it in an evening, but the memory of it is still with me, and I keep coming back to it. I have to confess I am not sure what the reaction would be were I to read this with a group of say, 9 year olds.

The material, though brilliantly written, and based in facts about life in the 3rd century AD under Roman rule, is quite brutal. The story is horrendously sad in places, and very violent in others. There is great cruelty throughout, both to humans and animals, and the descriptions of the gladiatorial battles and animals being ripped to pieces, as well as men being killed at the whim of a brutal emperor, spare the reader nothing.

I am not against reading children material which makes them think, or sometimes makes them sad or uncomfortable, but there is quite a lot in this book that would make me want to discuss it with a child either before or during the time they were reading it.

Not for animal lovers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Contrasting lives for Tigers in Ancient Rome, 15 April 2009
Annabel Gaskell "gaskella2" (Nr Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tiger, Tiger (Paperback)
Two tiger cubs brought to Rome - one is destined for the arena; the other is defanged, booted and becomes a much loved pet for the Emperor's daughter Aurelia who is twelve. She begins to fall for the tiger's handler Julius, to her cousin Marcus' dismay. When a prank played on Julius goes wrong, the consequences are severe as they both learn to their cost.

This novel will delight and dismay in equal quantities. Delight at the antics of Aurelia and her pampered pet, and dismay at the bloodthirst in the arena. The author doesn't shy from showing the reader the gruesomely gory nature of the Roman games which utterly revolt the Emperor's daughter who has to grow up fast.

We also learn a lot about cats - sections of the book are written from the tigers' points of view. They're not so unlike our felines, just bigger scale and harder to domesticate! Luckily for younger readers, the tigers are reunited in the end. I preferred this to the 'Roman Mysteries', and would thoroughly recommend for 6-9yr olds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 19 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Tiger, Tiger (Kindle Edition)
Wow!I saw this book at a book fair and had to get it on my kindle and realised how brilliant it was. If you don't mind a bit of fighting in a Roman circus then this is a book for you. The author uses great vocabulary, I loved it!( from my daughter aged 10)

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping!, 1 Nov. 2014
Ms. X. Waite (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tiger, Tiger (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Love the setting of Ancient Rome and the Colosseum is brought to life. It's dramatic, exciting and gripping. There are some brutal scenes but history becomes real. A great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 23 Jan. 2006
Ancient Rome
This book was absoulutely amazing. I just couldn't put it down and I was almost crying at the end. After I'd read it once I read it about 16 times again. Some things I found shocking like the arena in Ancient Rome and how everyone seems to like innocent people being killed. The only thing that I didn't really like about this amazing children's novel is the end which is a bit vague. Apart from that everything was brilliant and I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story to read, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Tiger, Tiger (Paperback)
Good quality, excellent price, my daughter could not wait to start reading, she has not put to down since it arrived.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love tiger tiger!! 🐯💗, 19 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Tiger, Tiger (Kindle Edition)
It's an amazing story My favourite characters are Aurelia Julius and Boots!! In school it's our reading book

5.0 out of 5 stars SWEET STORY, 18 Jan. 2013
anniec17 "Hopalong17" (Hampshire, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tiger, Tiger (Paperback)
Although classed as a child's book, I found this to be a sweet, quick read on a miserable rainy afternoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 3 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Tiger, Tiger (Paperback)
This book was an absolute pleasure to read and it was absolutely outstanding.

The book is about - as you may have guessed - two orphaned tiger cubs who are captured by hunters and taken to Rome. Once in Rome they are separated, one (Boots)becomes a pet in the house of Caesar and the other (Brute) is caged underneath the Colosseum and trained to fight.

After a while, the story starts to focus more on Auriela - Caesar's daughter - and her cousin Marcus, who play a prank on Boots the tiger's trainer, Julius. They hide Boots and claim he has escaped. Their plan backfires when the tiger really does escape, and Julius must find him again or he will be executed.

The character development is brilliant, Aurelia turns out to be a very brave girl and the rest of the characters are just as engaging.

If you like animals and historical fiction then this book is for you - although it is guaranteed to make you cry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiger, Tiger - an amazing book about Ancient Rome, 12 Jun. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Tiger, Tiger (Library Binding)

Tiger, Tiger
Tiger, Tiger by Lynne Reid Banks (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01