5.0 out of 5 stars Simply an enjoyable read
18 years ago my school had all of us kids read this book. Now, at 30 years old, I just had to have it again because I never forgot the book. It is a well-written classic, one every child and adult must read at least once. It brings back the spirit of youth, something which seems to have now been lost. Fantastic.
Published on 11 Feb 2006 by Laura Gibson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for young children
The book cover is misleading, it looks like a good story for young children but it isn't, it's about two hunting dogs, talk of ripping coons apart and entrails coming out, not good.Think of Watership down, and then some.

Published on 10 July 2012 by Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply an enjoyable read, 11 Feb 2006
Laura Gibson (Alton, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where the Red Fern Grows: The Story of Two Dogs and a Boy (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story for kids and adults!, 2 July 1999
By A Customer
This book is so great. It has such a compelling plot and many great adventures between a boy and his dogs. The story holds you to the end. You're unable to put it down! I read it, all my friends read it and we all love it. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys childhood adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESUM! will bring tears to your eyes!, 6 May 2002
By A Customer
This book is one of the best book ever. I read as a class assignment and couldnt put it down. It made me cry but it also made me feel happy. I would HIGHLY recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for young children, 10 July 2012

Apart from that I don't know why the book gets so many good reviews, it has a few sweet moments but mainly it is very repetitive, how many times can you read about two dogs hunting for coons and still be interested. The ending is very rushed as well, the last chapter was clearly just stuck on to bring the book to a close.

I read this on the Kindle edition and after the halfway point there were umteen typos, some of the worst I have seen in a Kindle ebook.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'VE READ THIS MORE THAN 30 TIMES!, 9 May 2000
By A Customer
This heartwarming tale is my favorite book. Where the Red Fern grows is about a young boy named Billy Coleman who saves up his money for two years to buy the two Redbone Coonhounds that he saw advertised. From then on, adventures explode infront of him and his two dogs, Old Dan and Little Ann. How will he train them? Will he catch the Ghost coon? Can he win the hunting championship? Throughout all of their adventures, the trio becomes a loving, devoted, inseperable team. But Billy doesn't realize their uttermost devotion until one night while hunting, they tree a mountain lion by mistake, and Old Dan and Little Ann save him, Old Dan fighting with the most loyalty and rage. But in the end, Old Dan's sacrifice turned out to be too great, and he died. Little Ann is still with the Coleman family until after Old Dan died. Ann was Dan's lifelong compainion, and she couldn't bear without him. So sadly two days later, she dies from lonliness and heartbreak. After that Billy finds out that he is moving next spring, so he tries and tries to forget his dogs but is still plaiged with pain. Yet on moving day in the spring, he discovered that on the hillside where his two dogs are buried side by side, a beautiful and stunning red fern had grown between their bodies. The red fern comes from an old indian legend, and it is the strogest sign of love. Only an angel can plant one, it never dies, and where one is, that spot is sacred. After moving, the story ends with one final segment, which I think is the part where I start sobbing. This is an elaborately detailed book, and doesn't just jump from one thing to another. It is well in order. Also, this book is the kind of book that you can read more than 1 times, for me, it would be more than 30 times! This book also makes me cry every single time. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars I think the bookwas good and very interesting., 24 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I read the book Where The Red Fern Grows.It was book that was very well written.I think that Wilson Rawls was so in touch with his book.It is so life like and feels so real. I would and do recomend this book to all my friends.

3.0 out of 5 stars I think this is a great book., 11 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I recommend this book to a kid in 5th or 6th grade that wants a dog. That is why I like this book. Some good things that I like were when he went to town to get a dog. He was going to buy a small beagle, but these kids bought him before he got to it. This book is about a boy that wants a coon dog. The exciting part of this book was when he tried to tree the ghost coon, he's the oldest coon.
He got his own side of his dad's shed wall. By the he competed, he had the whole wall full of coon skins. I really enjoyed this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not read! Still traumatised 20+ years on!, 16 Dec 2008
I have to say that I think this is one of the worst books ever written. It traumatised me severely when I read it more than twenty years ago and, to this very day it upsets me when I think about it. I feel emotionally abused by this book. I realise not everyone will have a similarly strong (negative) reaction to this book, but if you or your child is an animal lover, steer _well_ clear.

The plot is heartbreaking and too sad for words. I was hysterical for days after I'd finished reading it and the story kind of made me never want to read again. Thankfully other books like A Wrinkle in Time, The Pushcart Wars, The Westing Game, etc. came to the rescue...

I don't really understand why schools, parents, people even put so much emphasis on books which are so emotionally traumatic. Children learn all too soon that life is short and full of loss. I truly believe that there are better ways to teach those lessons than this book provides.

I'm also weirded out by people who 'love' such incredibly sad books that 'make them cry every time they read it/them'. I think it's creepy.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, 24 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I remember reading this book for the 1st time when i was in 3rd grade and after i finished it bawling my eyes out. It still does the same thing reading it at 21. Great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars NL-S approved, 5 Mar 1999
By A Customer
A great book is Where the Red Fern Grows, by Wilson Rawls. It is a wonderful tale of a poor country boy who would do anything for a pair of hounds. Once he gets his dogs, the world is theirs to explore. From playing fetch to winning a raccoon hunt, these three share it all, even a courageous ending.
I thought this book was really good because I could relate to the characters, especially Billy because I always wanted a dog. Like him, I had my mind set on a dog, and wouldn't quit trying until I got one.
Page after page there are lessons to be learned, and a theme to go with each one. The five important themes I got out of it were: friends, responsibility, companionship, life, and family.
Wilson Rawls wrote what every reader wanted to read. The book couldn't have been written any better. He used specific details, and gave a good feeling of what growing up in the Ozarks would have been like. It portrays the happiness and hardships that life brings.
Young males and grown men would especially like this book because they can relate to Billy and his spirit of determination. This book is a great book and everybody should have the chance to read it.

Where the Red Fern Grows: The Story of Two Dogs and a Boy
Where the Red Fern Grows: The Story of Two Dogs and a Boy by Wilson Rawls (Paperback - 1 Jan 1990)
4.21