5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Balogh books re-released with bonus
Published on 27 Feb 2012 by CJ

3.0 out of 5 stars so and so
the first story is sweet enough though the sex scenes are so minimal in description they almost dont exist but it is quite an easy read and the duke confession of love in the end is great i absolutely hated the second story thats why i gave it 3 stars it was depressive over descriptive unrealistic and a giant yawn for me at least
Published on 10 May 2012 by allana

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Balogh books re-released with bonus, 27 Feb 2012
CJ (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Temporary Wife/A Promise of Spring (Mass Market Paperback)
A Temporary Wife is my favourite Balogh ever (5+ stars). It was one of the best of her old Signet Regencies and brilliant news for Balogh fans that it's now been republished. Mary Balogh is my next favourite Regency author after Georgette Heyer. Whilst I love all her books I find her earliest stories (many of which have been out of print) amongst her best and this is one of my favourite ones.

The Marquess of Staunton advertises for a governess intending, in fact, to find himself an unsuitable wife. He wants the plainest, dullest and mousiest candidate to take home to his meet his estranged family with the intention of flaunting her in front of, and annoying, his autocratic father. Charity Duncan is desperate for work and answers his advertisement for the position of governess in order to help provide for a large but destitute family of several younger brothers and sisters. She is persuaded by the cold and disagreeable Marquess into a temporary marriage in return for a comfortable settlement for the rest of her life. Once she arrives at the ancestral home she can't help but become interested and involved and gradually unravels the reasons behind the long estrangement between the Marquess and his father. In the process she and the Marquess find out much more about each other than was ever the intention and inevitably and reluctantly they fall in love. Its a lovely story, very subtle and very moving. The character development, as in most Mary Balogh books, is brilliantly and believably done.

4 stars. A Promise of Spring is slightly linked to the "Web" books - many of the characters from those books have minor appearances in this one. It's another classic Balogh - an original story, unpredictable and ultimately moving, where she takes two very unlikely characters who turn out to be perfect for each other. There's a big age difference between Grace and Perry (she's older - unusually). Sir Peregrine Lapman's best friend (Grace's brother) dies in a tragic accident. Grace is seemingly left destitute without him so Perry proposes and this is the story of the difficult beginnings of their marriage. A sweet and gentle tale and extremely poignant and moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 9 Mar 2014
She writes my kind of books about the regency period and I try to read them all. Keep up the good work

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reading, 24 Jun 2013
Mrs. M. Lewis "Margaret Lewis" (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This writer never fails to please. Wicked and delightful. Love any novel she writes and look out for her new novels

5.0 out of 5 stars Any book by Mary Balogh, 29 Jan 2013
I have not yet read any book by Mary Baloch which I have been almost unable to put down, she has to be my favourite Author after Georgette Heyer.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 stories for the price of 1, 23 Jun 2012
First of all I think Mary Balogh is a great writer. She seems very good at creating believable likable characters that you see gradually fall in love. For me she excels at doing a great love story with just the right amounts of humour, yearning, angst and love. That said sometimes I think that authors like her are judged on a different level. If I don't absolutely love one of her stories then I am genuinely surprised and disappointed, and then have to force myself to think objectively about how I should rate it.

In this book, there are 2 stories:

The first is "The Temporary Wife":

I think this is pretty classic Mary Balogh and I would rate it 5 stars. It's 245 pages long, there are a few sex scenes but I don't think it's especially steamy.
The basic plot line is that Lord Anthony Earheart decides to advertise for a governess, but he really wants a wife, basically to annoy his father. He plans after taking her home to embarrass his father, to give her a generous pension and basically never see her again. He chooses Miss Charity Duncan on the faulty assumption that she is very meek and colourless - his "little brown mouse".
Both characters are very different but both very likable, Charity comes across as very warm, sweet but with a strong back bone. Lord Earheart is arrogant and cold but not intentionally unkind and you see him gradually unthawing with Charity.
It was a very enjoyable read and if you like Mary Balogh, chances are you'll like this.

The second story is "A promise of Spring":

This story is harder to rate, but I think probably about 3.5 stars. It's about 250 pages. Although there are references to love scenes again it's not especially steamy.
The basic plot line (note a few spoilers) is that Grace Howard is a thirty five year old lady whose brother is the rector. When he dies she is left apparently destitute and is proposed to by her brothers twenty five year old friend Sir Peregine Lampman. She says no and explains that she had previously had an illegitimate child, who died. The father -(Gareth) had been a childhood friend that subsequently went off to war and died. Peregine says that he doesn't mind this. It later turns out that Gareth is actually alive, Grace knew but felt that he had died to her as he had married someone else and left her to fend for herself, he is now widowed and wants her back despite the fact she is married.

The things that are right with the book are that both the main characters are likable,, especially Peregine who is a departure from the normal alpha male. He is very likable and charming, sunny natured, and he has a quiet dignity and strength to him. You do feel there is a genuine love that develops between them. I very much enjoyed both the beginning and the end of the book.
The things that I didn't like were firstly, I'm sorry but the older woman trope doesn't particularly do it for me, but it was handled quite well.
However the thing I really didn't like was when Gareth (the ex lover) came back into the picture. It made me feel quite uncomfortable and I pretty much skipped about 50 pages of the book, to try and hurry up till we could get rid of him. Although there's no infidelity it seemed to get very close. I know Grace had a lot of personal issues with him and forgiving herself, but she is a grown woman of 35 and she's supposed to love her husband at this point. She should have told Gareth to get lost much earlier. I also just wanted the h&h to talk and be honest with each other, we're talking of a two year time period here where neither of them can admit they love each other and want to stay with each other.
Although the second story is one of my least favourite Mary Balogh books, its still well written and is far better than a lot of other regency romances that you come across.

All in all definitely worth it!

3.0 out of 5 stars so and so, 10 May 2012

The Temporary Wife/A Promise of Spring
The Temporary Wife/A Promise of Spring by Mary Balogh (Mass Market Paperback - 28 Feb 2012)
4.75