on 11 November 2006
I am probably Diana Gabaldon's biggest fan, and I saw this book in my recommendations list here at Amazon. I was a little wary at first, it seemed impossible that I should find two great book series about Highland Scottish men (those of course being my fave blokes!), but I was knocked off of my feet by this book. It's just as good as DG's stuff, and probably even more sexy! Amazing characters and a fabulous plot, I was hooked and couldn't put it down! I definitely recommend this book, and the author's other work!
on 7 February 2007
Bought the book due to its readers'ratings at Amazon & Romance Reader, and coz I had depleted all my recent favorite authors' work. Julia Quinn, Gaelen Foley, Karen Hawkins, Kresley Cole are just not writing fast enough. Julie Garwood, Jude Devaraux, Judith McNaught's recent works are just dull. Nora Roberts is just not my cup of tea.

Thought Karen Moning is just 'another' new author.

My, what a delightful suprise I had. I was laughing out loud from the first chapter at Gwen's mutterings, sighing at Drustan's romantic wooing in 21st century, crying & laughter again at Gwen's wooing Drustan in 16th century, falling in love with Drustan's family, and gasping at the twists & turns of the plot. It was a great emotion roller coster ride.

Karen is definitely gonna be a permanent feature in my library. I will start collecting all her work now, though sadly, I just noticed she has not written that many books a yet. Don't think I need more than a week to finish all her books. It would be excruciating to wait for her future books.

What a discovery. Just loved the book.
on 14 August 2006
This is the 5th one of this authours work ive read, it was fabulous and the best one yet, I would definitely recommend it.
on 27 October 2006
It is rare indeed for there to be a twist in a book that has me completely gobsmacked and exclaiming 'NO!' out loud. I normally see them coming a mile off, but not this time. I really didn't have a clue. Of course there are plenty of those more predictable moments in this book; it's is clear as day that Gwen and Drustan are going to get it together at some point, for example. But there is also a great plotline here and I really didn't see the big twists coming at all.

Gwen is on holiday in the modern day Scottish Highlands when she falls into a cave (in a more believable fashion that you might think) and lands on a man. Drustan is a Druid from 500 years ago, enchanted until Gwen wakes him. This story is a moving, funny account of their growing attraction as Gwen has to take a leap of faith and help this attractive, sword wielding man to prove his story. And boy, does he prove it!

As a result of reading this book I immediately bought a heap of others by the same author. Some I liked more than others, but the next three in the series (The Dark Highlander, The Immortal Highlander and The Spell of the Highlander) are all fantastic. I urge you to buy them...
on 4 January 2004
Recommending this book is what i can do.I felt so touched by it that i had been weeping about the story of Gwen Cassidy and Drustan MacKeltar, a Scotlish Laird who met his soul mate 500 years after he had been enchanted by Gypsis.
There had been words spoken that enchanted myself:
"If aught must be lost,'twill be my honor for yours.If one must be forsaken,'twill be my soul for yours.Should death come anon,'twill be my life for yours.I am given."
No question, I will buy the "Dark Highlander" and will see if this book/story can keep up with the "Kiss of the Highlander".
on 24 September 2001
Excellent storyline. The heroine Gwen Cassidy holidays in Scotland looking for romance and stumbles across a Scottish laird who has been placed in a trance for 500 years. Electricity flies with their first kiss.
Drustan (the Highland laird)sends Gwen back in time to save his Clan from disaster. It gets even more interesting as when Gwen arrives back in 1518 the Drustan she meets is due to be married and believes Gwen is completely mad. Gwen has her work cut out trying to convince him otherwise.
A funny and entertaining story I have enjoyed all of Karen Marie Moning books and throughly recommend 'Kiss of the Highlander'
on 10 December 2002
I have read all of this series & Drustan is the best so far. It is a wonderful story, full of magic, laughter & red hot passion.
Gwen Cassidy is touring the highlands when she has an accident, falling into a cave & lands on top of an enchanted man. Drustan has been asleep for 500 years when he wakes up & finds Gwen on top of him...
Thank you Karen for giving us Drustan & I am about to start Dark Highlander, Daegus's story (Drustan's twin) & i'm sure it will be as riviting as Kiss of the Highlander. I hope there will be more from the MacKeltar's in future books.
This is by far the most engaging novel in the series, and one of, if not my favourite in the whole series. While the first three couples have been perfect for each other in the classical sense, our hero Drustan and our heroine Gwen engaged in a romantic play with unconventional roles. In general I prefer the latter, but in a novel where the protagonists are centuries apart, the female being in the later century, I expected a fiesty heroine and Gwen is exactly that! Which is why I love the role reversal in The Highlander's Kiss so very much.

I always love Karen Marie Moning's characters and both Gwen and Drustan have a special place in my heart. I admire Gwen's firmness in her stance, her persistence and her bluntness. Despite her inexistent love life, rift with late parents and tumbling career, she can still spare Drustan a piece of herself. Drustan MacKeltar is a persistent man himself, but with a more stubborn, arrogant edge. First born, laird and with an ego the size of Scotland, waking up beneath Gwen in the middle of the twenty first century is one hell of a surprise for him. Despite the challenge, he takes everything in his stride and maintains his dazzling charm. Drustan also comes up with seriously funny things in this book, and that alone should be read by anyone! There are no limits to masculine pride and testosterone in Kiss of the Highlander, so prepared to be charmed!

The Highlander's Kiss is a plot-driven novel, really. It has dramatic irony, so part of it is predictable from that viewpoint. However, it's still such a real roller coaster ride; just when I thought I knew the plot, it twists and turns and surprises me. More than once too! Out of all the books in the series, this one has more intellectual motifs as Gwen is a physicist. She analyses the plot in her own terms and produces academic explanations of her adventures. In a way, her scientific reasoning adds colour to the plot and explains the sudden twists well. Of course, need I mention how romantic it is? Especially the oath and the ending? Well heck, it's romantic!

Like the rest of the highlander series, The Highlander's Kiss has vibrant secondary characters bound to recur in the succeeding books. It ends perfectly to set up the next book, which revolves primarily around Dageus, Drustan's brother. Although it closes the Gwen and Drustan's chapter well, it also leaves a gripping cliffhanger which will have readers demanding the next book.

Besides, don't you just love those sexy, luscious lips on the cover ?
on 26 October 2001
An absolutley riveting book from the first to last page. Had all the right ingredients from a drop dead gorgeous hero to a gutsy heroine.
Mix this together with time travel, magic and a collision of centuries result a stunning book.
Both the lead characters are completely believable,portrayed with humour and sensitivity. The time travel element had a new twist in that the hero sends the heroine Gwen back to a time before they met leading to confusion and great plot development.
If you like histroical romance with an edge then this is definately for you.
Unmissable.
on 31 May 2008
The plot is good,with a twist ,and the characters likeable but I felt cheated.Too many pages of lurid passion,-to pad out the story perhaps?Wasted paper.Not to be compared with the detailed research and detail of the Gabaldon novels.