I've become a fan of Karen's since I started the Fever series currently being reprinted by Gollancz, month by month, so when this latest title landed I couldn't wait to get my hands upon it. Sitting down (and taking a break from Skyrim) I grabbed the title, pulled my blanket round and sat down with my tankard of mead (appropriately Bunratty) to enjoy a cracking Urban Fantasy set in Ireland.

What unfurled within was a book that took its time to get going and spent a lot of time revising the events from previous titles, which considering that I'd only read them recently left me feeling a little cheated, almost as if the author didn't have enough material to have the full book on its own, yet as it developed we started getting additional elements that helped Mac, the principle character grow. The reminders were there so that you could see how far she's developed and then it adds real spice and fear for the reader as the story unfurls with the choices that she makes bringing consequences that she'll have to learn to live with.

As with the others, its cleverly done, the plot line is wonderfully inventive and when you add the authors own personal voice alongside great prose and cracking pace (for the later part of the novel) it's a book that gives the reader a little lull before the real storm hits.
on 30 December 2013
Although I enjoyed Karen Moning's Fever Series. When I am reading the books ( this one is no exception)I found them repetitive in ways. Too much time is spent getting readers up to date with previous books and too much time is spent in things that don't really matter. These small things irate me as does the dictionary at back of the book using valuable pages because they were needed at the end of the book, which leaves us with such a disturbing cliff hanger. I am so glad I came to the books late and can read the series one after the other as I don't think I would be happy to wait too long to read the next book.All that being said, I really enjoyed the series, the storyline is great and the characters of Barrons (secretive, old world but loyal(we hope but cannot really tell)) and V'Lane (death-by-sex-fae who seems to love our heroine - although this may be lust rather than love, who knows!) and Rowena (controlling sidhe-seer Mistress and jealous cow) are fascinating and capture you immediately wanting you to delve further into their stories. My advice here is buy the next book before you finish this one!
on 22 March 2012
The entire book is just about Mac running around Dublin in circles. There are only two salient points: 1. Barrons realized something about himself; and 2. the MacKeltars failed. Makes the story a bit insubstantial. But here is the real kicker, it ended in a whopping, big ass of a cliffie. I never expected a book this bad from this author! At all! I was stumped!!
on 18 February 2010
Excellent book, Mac is a fabulous gal and is taking more control of her new life, i like her a lot more now that she can take care of herself and isnt wearing as much pink, Barron is still dark and mysterious which is soo blooming annoying but blooming brilliant aswell and i love it and v'lane is still a gorgeous, dangerous angel and he seems to be becoming protective of Mac (when he finds that she is hurt from a fight)- ahh bless him. There seems to be deeper chemistry between Mac and Barrons, as Mac is beginning to see her feelings for him are more than what she thought/wanted.

The first couple of pages are just an overview of whats been happening to Mac so far, which is a little slow, but it reminds you of stuff you may have forgotten and its only the first few pages; after that the pace is quickly picked up, and its a real page turner!
I especially loved the cliff hanger at the end, that i did not expect.

All in all a fabulous read, id recommend it to any reader who wants to enter a wonderful world of magical adventures!!
on 19 February 2013
Gripping, flowed beautifully from the previous book and ended with a perfect cliffhanger straight into the next series! I am glad to have waited until all the books have published in this series before starting as it would have driven me crazy to wait for the next instalment.
On the other hand, I am deeply sad and disappointed the series has ended. I really hope that the author will continue with another book/series on these two characters, Mac & Barrons.

As I have read the whole series already twice now, the following is a general comment on the entire series:
The way the characters were developed throughout the series was extremely entertaining as well as cleverly spaced out. The story plot was already laid out in the first book, leaving many gaps, enthralling to push you to the next book and the next. Each book revealed yet more explanations on the plot & goes towards the development of each character in such a way that made sense & was plausible.
It was an immensely enjoyable read!
on 31 July 2012
I think this has been my favorite book of the Fever Series so far. The ending left me completely shocked and if I had been reading them when they were originally coming out I would have gone insane with the wait. Thankfully I can immediately start book 4!

I still don't understand why Mac does not trust Barrons more. It's the only times I get really frustrated with the series. Yes he is closed off and doesn't reveal a lot about himself but still... He has saved her on a number of occasions and it is obvious to me at least that he is not really bad. So why hide so many important details from him?

Maybe she will finally learn to trust Barrons in the next book...
on 25 January 2009
This is a fantastic book. Book three of the series and it keeps the story going...I loved it and keep looking to see when the fourth in the series is out. A series you can read over and over again....
on 17 June 2014
I really loved Karen's "Highlander" series, but this is just not for me! I'd tried the 1st book in this series & got bored with what appeared to be a never-ending circle of events which never seemed to go anywhere! However I decided, from the reviews, that maybe I was missing something & bought the last 3 books to read from one after the other, so that maybe they wouldn't suffer from that problem! However, I still found my self skipping parts, which seemed to repeat old ground again! So, sorry Karen, please go back to your previous more concise writing style, as this book needs a pair of scissors to it!
on 9 March 2009
4.0 out of 5 stars American phrases for Irish characters a little annoying, March 9, 2009
By Colette Kirwan (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews

I absolutely love this series, but what I find very distracting, and at times down right annoying is when non-American characters use American phrases and terminology. I find this takes from the authenticity of the characters. No Irish garda or indeed Irish person living in Ireland would use the word "cell" phone, it would be mobile. We would never say "trash not collected", it would be the "bins were not collected", or "there is a lot of rubbish in the streets". The word "street or road" would be used instead of "block". Of course it is very proper for Mac to use these phrases/words but not Inspector Jayne or indeed Barrons. On a positive note, keep up the good work Ms Moning, your series is fabulous.
on 6 February 2013
Wow,so much mystery, Mac's still trying to determine what Barrons is and doesn't know who to trust and is questioning everyones motives, Barron's V'Lane's, The Sidhe-seers, The Lord Master's, who to trust??
Everything is building up to Halloween and trying to get the walls back up between the worlds and there are so many twists and what a cliffhanger of an ending. Can't wait for the next one!!