4.0 out of 5 stars First of a great new series

Published on 25 Jun. 2009 by Mrs Engan Bear

4.0 out of 5 stars First of a great new series, 6 Mar. 2009
CJ (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: First Comes Marriage (Huxtable Quintent) (Mass Market Paperback)
Although I'm not a fan of 'series' and prefer one-off stories I'll read anything by Mary Balogh and there is something comforting about going into a new world peopled with characters you know are going to be around for a while. And she does it so well. The Huxtable family are a charming lot and this book sets the scene for the ones to come so that by the end of this story featuring the widowed sister, Vanessa, and Elliott, Lord Lyngate, you really want to know what happens to them ALL.

That said the main thread, the story of Vanessa and Elliott is typical Balogh. He is divinely handsome but apparently morose, stern and driven by duty, she is not at all obviously 'his type'. In fact she is described as being the plainest amongst her beautiful siblings but she has the gift of joy and happiness. She challenges him at every turn and the conflict and passion between the two of them as they grow into their marriage of convenience is lovely to see and as always, very well done by Balogh. It wasn't fireworks for me but it was a great read. Recommend it highly and glad that the next two or three in the series will be out in relatively quick succession. Most looking forward to the story of Con who is going to be last cos I suspect that will be the darkest and most anguished tale and I love some good angst in a love story before the happy-ever-after!

5.0 out of 5 stars First in new series, 17 Jan. 2009
'First Comes Marriage' is the first in a new series by Mary Balogh following the fortunes and loves of three sisters and one brother. At the start of this book we meet the Huxtable family, eldest sister Margaret, youngest sister Katherine, young brother Stephen and the middle sister, Vanessa Dew. Vanessa is a widow, having married a neighbour who died a year and a half ago. Although Vanessa still lives with her in-laws, her three siblings live in a small cottage and make do with minimal money.

When a viscount comes to stay in the local inn the village is intrigued, especially when he attends the assembly dance. However the Huxtable family are astounded the next day when they discover that their lot is going to change significantly. As they find themselves moving to a new area and preparing to be introduced to polite society, it seems that Viscount Lyngate is planning to ask the eldest sister, Margaret, to marry him. But Vanessa knows Margaret still carries a torch for her young love, serving overseas in the army, and so she persuades Lyngate to marry her instead.

As Vanessa and Elliott settle down to married life, she has to come to terms with his rather sober and unsmiling demeanour and he with her feelings for her dead husband. Some of his past actions may come back to haunt him, along with a former good friend who may well be a rogue, and Vanessa has to cope with her own poor self-image. Can they find happiness and love in a marriage of convenience?

Mary Balogh is, in my opinion, one of the finest writers of Regency romances today. 'First Comes Marriage' has all her trademark skills, including deep characterisation, flawed and yet appealing characters and historical accuracy. She falls unexpectedly into a trap laid by Georgette Heyer who coined in her own books the term 'Cheltenham Tragedy' (which appears twice in this book) and which Heyer used for a plagiarism lawsuit against another author who used the phrase. There were also times in this book where it did feel very much like the start of a series; there was a great deal of scene setting at the beginning and we followed some of the other characters (to be featured in further books) more closely than one might normally expect for a standalone novel. I also felt that the falling-in-love aspect of the book was perhaps a little more rushed than it might have been. Despite these minor comments I found this to be another excellent read which had emotion, action and character in abundance.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars MB does it again...!, 6 April 2009
I am so glad that MB is still writing and is able to bring so much pleasure to those that absolutely love her writing. I don't believe you'll be disappointed with this one. In fact, I have read as many of her books as I was able to get my hands on and while I was waiting for the new Huxtable series to come out, I read books by other authors who just don't measure up as well. It was great to get back to a new book by MB and I can't wait for the next book to come out!

4.0 out of 5 stars At Last a Heroine Who Doesn't Allow Misunderstanding and Miscommunication to Tear Up Her Life!!, 23 July 2014
Had I checked out the reviews (which I almost always do) before I purchased this book, I would probably never have bothered to buy it and read it. I did buy it and read it last evening and quite enjoyed it.

In fact, it was really a good read and kept my interest all the way through. The opening two chapters did leave me quite confused for a time - apparently, they were intended to intrigue - which they did. However, in my opinion, they also created a type of confusion so that one wondered whether or not they should go back and re-read the first chapter a couple of times to make sure they hadn't misunderstood something.

As one reviewer stated, we are reading about "Con" and then the book switches to what we soon realize will be the Main Guy of the book, however, his name is "Elliott." Ah, well - we realize eventually that "Con" will have his own book someday and we settle in to enjoy Elliott and the joy of the task set before him which is to take charge of the ward left to him when his father died - the young Earl of Merton. But, he never counted on having to take care of the earl's three sisters.

I love the Huxtable family and truly enjoyed some of the scenes with Elliott and Vanessa. She was a lovable gal and she never beat around the bush. If she was troubled by something, she brought the matter up - no long, lengthy misunderstandings with the people she cared about. I despise the never ending misunderstandings between the H/h that some authors feel are vital to romance novels - didn't happen in this book.

*Spoiler Alert* Yes, I prefer my Main Guys to be a little less melancholy but he did meet the right gal to help him learn to enjoy life. I didn't like it that he paid that last visit to Anna (his former mistress) to make certain she understood things were over between them and I hated it when his former mistress joined up with Vanessa in the park to torment her when Vanessa didn't even know about her. Elliott deserved more payback than what he got for that particular happening. Ugh! I so admired Vanessa in her forthrightness to set Con straight for his part in her pain with Anna. Badly done, Con! Even if he meant it to make Elliott ill at ease, it wasn't worth hurting Vanessa.

All in all, I enjoyed the book and loved the fact that Elliott decided to break the mold of his father's and grandfather's lifestyles by being faithful to Vanessa.

4.0 out of 5 stars A slow and steady burn, 23 Mar. 2013
Review taken from my Blog (post #42) in November 2010, after borrowing the book from the local library.

I seem to be getting a few of these read in the wrong order. This was actually the first in the Huxtable series. The very young Stephen Huxtable is informed by Elliott Wallace, Viscount Lyngate that he has by twists and turns of fate become the new Earl of Merton.

Viscount Lyngate takes Stephen and his three sisters Miss Huxtable (Margaret), Miss Katherine Huxtable and the widowed Miss Vanessa Dew to to their new home. Margaret and Katherine and undisputed beauties, but Vanessa is always considered plain.

Viscount Lyngate needs a wife and decides to offer for Margaret, but Vanessa steps in to save her sister and offers herself.

Will they find love, will it all turn out OK in the end?

I have to say, I did not like Elliott at all until very near the end of the book.

Actually, I found the whole book rather sad, and felt so sorry for Vanessa, not that she would probably want to see it that way.

Angry as well that people could have undermined her self-esteem so badly.

This is not an all consuming fire and fireworks kind of love though, but a steady burn to a glorious and cozy fire for the long nights.

I had though I would give it a 3 star rating, but thinking it over walking the dog, that really would not be fair. Is not the mark of a good author to make you feel for their characters, empathise or sympathise, and some how want to correct mistakes made by their fictional counterparts? Therefore a 4.5 rather than a 4.

Definitely read it, and let me know how you felt.

4.0 out of 5 stars The first Huxtable, 3 Feb. 2012
This is the first book in Mary Balogh's Huxtable series, and also my first Mary Balogh book. It follow the Huxtable family, Meg, Vanessa, Kate and Stephan, as they go from poor country family, to become an Earl and his sisters. This book follows the romance between middle sister Vanessa and Elliot, the previous Earls cousin and Stephan's Guardian.
I wont re-tell the plot again, but will say that I really enjoyed this book, I am a big fan of Historical Romance and so was really pleased to find Balogh who has the perfect mixture of love, passion, suspense/ mystery, humour and history in her books. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the Huxtable series, and hope they will all be as good as this one was.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely read, 12 Jun. 2012
I always enjoy Mary Balogh's books and have read nearly all the other huxtable novels before this one, which is the first. This is probably one of my favourites, I loved both the characters and I thought they suited each other really well. Vanessa wasn't irritating to me and Elliot didn't lose himself once he was married, even until the end he isn't very good at communicating etc. The plot isn't action packed or anything but if you like a sweet romantic novel this is the one for you!

3.0 out of 5 stars First comes....a very long prologue to the Huxstable story, 25 Jun. 2009
I have read every Mary Balogh I could lay my hands on, and this has been the only one that disappointed. I won't repeat the story line -what there was - suffice it to say that too much of it seemed to be groundwork for the other books to follow in the series.Vanessa herself is too good to be true - couldn't she be just a tiny bit selfish now and again? Bring back the Bedwyns, I say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 May 2013
I can only repeat my review of other Mary Balogh books.
She has the ability to relate a gentle tales of romance.
One inevitably feels the need to keep turning the page to discover what happens next.
Her use of the English language and grammar is admirable.
Far too many other Romance writers and their editors fail to follow her example.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Story, 10 April 2015
This was a lovely story ,beautifully written with a very classical ring to it.The character of Vanessa was extremely well drawn-a plain Jane with such a great spirit and love of life that she draws others to her.Elliott the hero starts of very stuffy but Balogh makes,his transformation utterly believable. Highly recommend !

First Comes Marriage (Huxtable Quintent)
First Comes Marriage (Huxtable Quintent) by Mary Balogh (Mass Market Paperback - 25 Sept. 2009)