5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, WHAT A BOOK
Published on 11 July 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars one to avoid
Dire, dire, dire :( I should have known from the cover, pink frippery... and from the first page which tries to make the viewer beleive Diana is with a man and its clear she's simply reading from a book. Still, I struggled manfully (womanfully?) on for a few more chapters, even skimming some to se if there was any indication it might improve. Nope. It didn't. I bought it...
Published on 22 Oct. 2008 by Jeannie Zelos

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, WHAT A BOOK, 11 July 2002
This review is from: Enslaved (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my first book by Ms Henley, and I was utterly impressed. I have read many historic romance, (corset rippers) and this book is rated as one of the best. Even though the story line seems unbelievable when looked at a glance, BUT when I started to read the book it became believable and I was unable to put it down. Ms Henley needs to be given credit for this book as it could have been a flop BUT instead it was full of wit and incredible creative writing which keeps you on the edge of your seat. The storyline is based in Georgian times with a strong heroine who dreams of real men from the medieval era. She manages to go back in time to Roman Britain, finding herself ENSLAVED to a real Roman man. WOW is all I can say. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 9 Oct. 2000
This review is from: Enslaved (Mass Market Paperback)
This was the first book i ever bought of Ms Henley's, and I have to add it inspired me to purchase all of her work. There are no silly, flimsy wall-flowers for the heroine, and no charming but insipid flakes for the hero. With Henley, you get a good solid feisty fox in the female role, and a nice muscular, sexual man for the male role. She couples this winning formula with a rich tapestry of historical background, a marvellous story-telling ablilty and hot sex scenes. Thus, in her books, the redaer can escape to a bygone era completly until you reach the back cover.
This was a real gem of a find- the storyline cleverly allows Diana to fall in love twice, without offending the die-hard romantic who likes the heroine to have one love. A very clever idea, and an enjoyable introduction to Henley's work which is by and large very well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding and unique historical romance!, 9 Dec. 1998
This review is from: Enslaved (Mass Market Paperback)
I have been a romance novel fan for several years now, and this book really stands out in the crowd! I have read all of Virginia Henley's books and find her to be one of the finest romantic storytellers of our time. This book is one of her best. It blends not only time travel, but told from the unique perspective of the Roman Empire, in all it's hedonistic glory. I have not come across another novel written in this time period and Ms. Henley describes it with breathtaking clarity. You feel as though you are there. The undying love, passion and incredible eroticism shared between Marcus and Diana will leave you breathless. You will come away feeling as though you just stepped out of a time machine and have experienced the agony and the ecstasy of Nero's empire and Marcus and Diana's timeless love. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading of any genre. Romance fans will adore it and those who have never tried romance will be hooked after this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Definate Keeper!, 31 Jan. 1999
This review is from: Enslaved (Mass Market Paperback)
I have been reading romance books for years, but this is the first one I read that plays during the Roman Times and it was interesting to learn about this era. Ms. Henley definately did her research, her portrayal of this time history was facinating, not tedious and boring like other novels. This book was very sensual, mature, witty and the overall theme of time travel and reincarnation seemed very credible. I loved it! It was so heartfelt! Diana and Marcus's love transports through time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sex; shame about the history, 21 July 1999
This review is from: Enslaved (Mass Market Paperback)
Virginia Henley writes fantastic sex scenes - keep going, I say! However, her books would be so much more satisfying to read if even the basic premises on which they were set were historically accurate. For instance, in "Enslaved", she seems to be unsure as to when her heroine lived. First Diana lives in the 1770s, then suddenly she seems to be transported to the Regency period. THESE ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. And she can't be LADY Diana if her father was only a Sir. Please - just a little research would be appreciated.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Un-put-downable"!, 28 Feb. 1999
This review is from: Enslaved (Mass Market Paperback)
The only reason I haven't given a rating of 5 crowns is that is was definitely only a "light read" - nothing too mentally challenging. However, for a light and at times emotionally touching read, Ms Henley has a new devotee. This is the first of her novels I have read, but it will not be the last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Unique!, 21 Sept. 1998
This review is from: Enslaved (Mass Market Paperback)
I was reluctant to read yet another historic romance novel. Frankly, I was bored with them. They all seemed to be set in the same time period with the same "Damsel in Distress is forced to Marry a Man she doesn't know or because he slandered her reputation" plot line.
This novel, however, was such a shock to me because of Virginia's choice to have the setting be set in the time of the Roman Empire.
Also, the concept of time travel is intriguing to see in a romantic story. Once again, Virginia has created a terrific story unlike any I've ever read. You Go Girl!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST TIME-TRAVEL ROMANCE EVER., 9 Jun. 1997
This review is from: Enslaved (Mass Market Paperback)
I've NEVER liked time travel romance,since there's
always the risk of a sad ending,or a ridiculously
incredible & fantastic one.BUT NOT "ENSLAVED".Not
only is this book sexy,a V.Henley trademark,but also one feels transported back to the Roman era.
That's what I love about this book.Though my heart
breaks at the tragic end of the Roman romance,one
feels hope that that IS the possibility of re-
incarnation,that true love triumphs.Not to be
missed,especially those like me,who hate time-travel romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutley fantastic...Magical, 17 July 1998
This review is from: Enslaved (Mass Market Paperback)
I adored this book. The vivid details make's you feel as if you're in the villa of Marcus Magnus in Diana's place!! The plot is quick and keeps hitting you with new twists. And the ending was tragic but also happy. It gave you a mixture of heartache and fulfillment. Henley has done an exceptional job with this book and she deserves all the praise in the world. It's just one of those books that you can read over, and over again and it still feels like new.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was great!!!, 22 April 1998
This review is from: Enslaved (Mass Market Paperback)
This book really was one of the best books I have ever read. It was exciting, and I could not put it down, infact it was so good I stayed in my room reading it the whiole weekend!!
I think the reason this book will be so, so popular is because you really do get to know the characters, and feel what they are feeling.
To sum up, I would completely recommmend this book to any avid romance reader and lover.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Enslaved
Enslaved by Virginia Henley (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Nov. 1998)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available