Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 5 February 1999
Maeve Binchy is, by far, my favorite author and I find it difficult to criticize anything she writes. London Transports was definitely a readable collection of short stories, although it wasn't her best. She repeats herself in one story...it shows up later in The Return Journey. On the plus side, however, some of the stories deal with topics not presented in her other books. They shine with Binchy's wit and style that I always enjoy in all her books, and I never thought once about stopping. If you are a die-hard Binchy fan who has made it your goal to read all her works (like me), go ahead and read this book. It's worth it.
on 19 August 1998
Characters are so real and credible,the story is so simple and engaging,yet I have the feeling I read it in another book...another Binchy story collection.Still despite repetitions,it's nice to re-read what you like.Great story-teller,keeps you turning the pages,yet I'd like her to reinvent herself with the addition of some new content,strikingly different.
on 11 July 1998
Even those of us who love to get lost in a good, long read, often appreciate the short story as a change of pace. I felt as if I too were journeying through London on the Tube, peeking into the lives of my fellow (or should I say "sister" ) commuters. This book is for everyone who ever sat bored on a train, imagining storylines for everyone sitting nearby!
on 21 July 2004
I loved this collection. Each story draws you into a different world and the great thing about this book is that you can pick it up and leave it down as you please, and then go back and reread your favourite pieces!
on 27 January 1998
I found each story made me think. Each of the short 22 chapters deals with issues that aren't easy to resolve, so Maeve leaves you to solve it in your own mind. I loved this book and would suggest it to anyone who wants to use their head while reading, yet doesn't want to get involved in a long story. You can take each chapter as you want and read into it as you wish.
on 27 February 1997
This book was chock full of short stories. One chapter each. MB's meticulous writing style and strength of character development are what make her books wonderful. Chapter long stories just aren't her showcase. Even if you've read every book she's written but this one, don't do it. You'll be disappointed.
on 17 May 2013
This book is a near complete reprint of "Victoria Line, Central Line". If you've already read that one, you won't gain anything new from this one. As an avid collector of Maeve Binchy's work, I will be keeping this book solely for its position in the US market, but at the risk of being called "old-fashioned", I much prefer the original edition.

As regards the stories themselves, this book hints at some of the characters destined to appear in Ms Binchy's later, longer novels. They're tightly-written, often thought-provoking and tend to have the kind of abrupt endings one finds in conversations shared in a supermarket queue or waiting for a bus; they're not meant to be expanded upon by following events, but we nevertheless wonder how matters turned out.

If your life is punctuated by waiting around, for whatever reason, this book could be a gentle way to pass the time.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 March 2011
Early Maeve Binchy but nothing wrong with that.As usual with short stories I was "hungry" for more,I equate short stories with chinese meals after a while you're hungry again!I always want to know what happens to the characters next.
on 13 March 2013
Victoria Line and Central Line were Maeve Binchy's first two books, later combined as London Transports, so don't buy one if you have the other! They are collections of short stories. The characters are rapidly and accurately drawn but generally not described in much detail. Many of the stories are darker-hued and harder-edged than in Binchy's later writing, and personally I didn't find this generally a "comfortable read", as one reviewer put it; the various characters have their human foibles as in all Binchy's work, but she didn't make me feel the same sympathy and empathy with them as in most of her novels and stories.
on 11 June 2011
I read London Transports while on holiday in the canaries.It contains about 20 or more different stories relating to that area on the London Rail network. Having lived near London all my life I new the areas written about. Each story was fasinating and had lots of twists to some of the stories.I would recommend this book for holiday reading. Although I enjoyed this book I prefer a full novel written by Maeve Binchy not lots of short stories, but still a good holiday read, Pandora.