Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 28 July 1998
This is a wonderful love story. Susannah is the "old maid" eldest daughter of a widower preacher. To help ease her workload, she decides to purchase a "bound man." She recklessly purchases Ian Connelly,a convict who has been badly beaten. While restoring him back to health, she develops an instant attraction to this stranger who is surprisingly well educated and very handsome. Ian has a secret past and identity, and this past is still trying to hunt him down. He works diligently to prove himself to Susannah, but she has difficulty pushing aside his status as her "bound" servant. The romance that develops between these two characters is so sweet and strong, that you will not be able to sert the book down until you've finished. I literally stayed up all night to read this book, it was that good. The story takes place in both America and England, during the days when convicts were shipped off to America to be sold as slaves.
on 28 December 2014
This story had me reading into the small hours. I really liked the characters in this story, with each of the sisters personalities adding a bit of spice. The passion that built up and unfolded between the main characters was well written and their passion was great. I did think the ending was a little rushed and this is why I am only giving it 4 stars.
on 30 November 2013
It dragged on a little to much for me. It was sweet but I do feel that I have read far better romance novels. Worth reading once but I don't think I would read it again anytime soon.
on 9 July 2004
This was a wonderful romance story. The way Ian woos Susannah made me almost sigh out loud. Like others I liked that Susannah was atypical of your usual romance heroine and strong and feisty with it.
There was no chance at all of sleep until i had turned the last page.
on 7 September 2015
Another excellent novel from Karen Robards love her stories predictable but enjoyable
on 10 February 2015
loved it,
total escapism
on 6 August 1999
This was a very fast paced book that kept me on edge anticipating turning to the next page. One of the things I liked most about this story was that Susannah was not the typical beauty that you find in most books. I read this book in one night and have passed it on to several friends and sisters who loved it just as I did.