5.0 out of 5 stars If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen!
Published on 11 Sep 2006 by M. M. Preston

3.0 out of 5 stars okay, going against the crowd here
But I just did not like this book; I didn't hate it, but there were things that annoyed me.

Maybe its erotica (a gendre I don't really like) and I just didn't realise it (the sex is certainly hot enough to be) but the fact is that I found the heroine ammoral and the hero shallow and unlikable.

Story: Lady Summer has a title but no money, or protector...
Published on 2 May 2008 by Romance Reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen!, 11 Sep 2006
M. M. Preston (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pirate and the Pagan (Mass Market Paperback)
If you like hot sizzling love scenes and leading characters larger than life then this one is for you. It definately is not for the faint hearted! However, having said that I enjoyed the book immensley. There was lots going on and I felt it was most definately a book of three thirds. The first being the calm before the storm when Ruark and Summer fell in love, the middle being the turbulent storm of their relationship and finally finding each other and realising they were bound together for all eternity. I like to read a book that takes me away from reality and plunges me into a world of vibrant history, heros and heroines. This one did it for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars I've found a new author..., 23 Aug 1999
This review is from: The Pirate and the Pagan (Mass Market Paperback)
After reading the reviews posted here, I took a chance and tried this book -- not expecting much. Well, was I in for a pleasant surprise! This is one of the most enjoyable historical romance novels I've read in years. From their first meeting, the sparks flew and it was obvious Summer and Ruark were a perfect match for each other. The problem is, both were too stubborn to admit it to each other. I was totally shocked by some of the actions both characters took, but it made for a pleasant change from the typical historical novel. The book was filled with adventure, fun, daring, and love, and the characters were likeable. After having read this book, I'm happy to say I've found another good author and I'm looking for another Henley novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Star Romance, 7 Mar 1999
This review is from: The Pirate and the Pagan (Mass Market Paperback)
This was my first Virginia Henley novel and after reading this in one sitting, I became a devoted Virginia Henley fan. However, I searched desperately to find other novels penned by the author and was disappointed in finding that few if any, were written with the passion of "Pirate and Pagan". 'Pirate and Pagan' is a truly passionate, humorous, exciting and sensual novel. Ruark and Summer are fire and oil, inflaming each other constantly. However, the beginning of their whirlwind romance was difficult for me to grasp; Ruark being the most eligible bachelor falling for such an innocent as Summer, whom lured him as if she was 'fly fishing'. And it was difficult for me to accept her supposedly affair with Ruark's brother, and he accepting her infidelity. What manner of man would accept his wife's infidelity, even if he was her secret lover in reality? But if you enjoy a woman whom fights with everything she has, then you'll enjoy 'Pirate and the Pagan'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of epic proportions, 2 May 1999
This review is from: The Pirate and the Pagan (Mass Market Paperback)
What I love the most about this novel is that it avoids all the cliches that many romance novels have. The plot is intense and interesting. I loved Summer's character. She was wild and yet strangely independent. A great novel to read. Virginia Henley is the only author I read when it comes to the romance novel calibre

3.0 out of 5 stars okay, going against the crowd here, 2 May 2008
This review is from: The Pirate and the Pagan (Mass Market Paperback)

Story: Lady Summer has a title but no money, or protector she and here little brother turn to smuggling to see them through. But there's no future in crime so she decides to marry her rich neighbour Lord Helford but here is were her troubles begin.

There are some good bits, the end is okay, but I found the constant batteling between the protagonist irritating. They make up, they break up, they make up again, they break up for the silliest of reasons.

You do get a lot for your money the book being a good 450 pages of quite small print and its not a terrible read but from the other Amazon reviews you'd have thought Ms Henley had invented the wheel and I can't agree.

Hot, HOT, sex but if you don't like the central characters even that isn't enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best historical romance I have ever read!, 9 Mar 1999
This review is from: The Pirate and the Pagan (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is a rollercoaster of emotions. It is brilliant the way Ms. Henley makes Ruark/Rory so different from each other but one in their love for Summer. Both men separately are any woman's dream man but when put together Ruark/Rory makes anyone want to scream with pure joy. I laughed when Summer sleeps with Rory thinking that he was Ruark and I cried when Ruark sees the cell in which Summer had been prisoner and he stats to weep. The love/hate ralationship that Summer has with both men is simply histerical. I loved every word of this book and I highly recomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have ever read!!, 5 Jun 1998
This review is from: The Pirate and the Pagan (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a big Henley fan, but this is by far her best. From the descriptions of the plague to the fascinating love story between Summer and Ruark, the book explodes with a surprise ending that even shocked and amazed me. Usually, you can pretty much predict what will happen in novels, but not this one! a true gem, a pleasure to read, by far the best novel i have ever read!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Magnificent!!!, 30 Nov 1998
This review is from: The Pirate and the Pagan (Mass Market Paperback)
Virginia Henley is one of the few authors that in my oppinion can write a perfect book and Pirate and the Pagan is definitely one of them. Words cannot express how much I loved this book. Simply perfection! I could not put it down once I picked it up. Ruark and Rory will make your blood turn to fire and Summer/Cat will enchant you. Virginia, if you are out there, please write more like Pirate and the Pagan, Raven and the Rose, Falcon and the Flower and Dragon and the Jewel. They are unsurpassable!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my All-time Favorites!!!!!, 8 Jan 1999
This review is from: The Pirate and the Pagan (Mass Market Paperback)
I think this is one of the best books I've ever read so far. The romance between Ruark and Summer is so touching and wonderful. I love how they get into little fights. Ruark and Summer are so possessive of each other and I love how Summer lets him cool his heels while she's off having fun. They both have so many adventures and they're so perfect for each other. This is my favorite book and the best of Henley's writings. You can't put it down and you read over your favorite parts almost every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was very exciting, full of twists and changes., 22 Jan 1997
This review is from: The Pirate and the Pagan (Mass Market Paperback)
This was an excellent book, that really keeps you reading. I couldn't put it down. It was so suspenseful, and the characters were full of life. There were some really interesting twists to the plot, which in itself was exciting with non-stop adventure and romance.

The characters were well-rounded so you felt you really knew them, until of course you find out you really didn't.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Pirate and the Pagan
The Pirate and the Pagan by Virginia Henley (Mass Market Paperback - 6 Oct 1998)
4.81