5.0 out of 5 stars Arguably the best book ever written :-)
I first read Illusions 28 years ago, and it blew me away to find this guy saying so simply and so engagingly all the things that I'd struggled so hard to find out for myself .. all the things that really matter in life, but written like a fairy story, or an hour round the fire with a good friend, or ... well, you get the idea, I'm sure.

I kept having to put the...
Published on 1 Oct 2007 by ImReallyAnElf

3.0 out of 5 stars Story
Quite a nice story with some interesting little maxims hidden in it, i would recommend it for a holiday read or a toilet book
Published 2 months ago by Tao

5.0 out of 5 stars Arguably the best book ever written :-), 1 Oct 2007

I kept having to put the book down every few pages, and just go, "oh YES! why couldn't I describe it like that?"

I must have bought around 20 copies by now - to give as presents and to replace when someone I'd lent it to said how much they loved it, and I told them "just keep it, then".

I still read it now & again ... and enjoy it as much as ever. I wonder how many books have that sort of loyalty? Not many in my (book!) case.

It's a fascinating book, because it can be read on so many levels: simply as a light fantasy; as a parable for all the spiritual things that really matter in life; a buddy story ... or indeed all of the above at once.

I call it my Bible, because I feel the God I know would prefer it to the Bible we're brought up with .. sorry to anyone who finds that blasphemous and upsetting, but that's my honest belief.

And it's so gently amusing while it's telling you something profound ... oh, that school teachers could grasp the value of that!

Look out particularly for the part where the vampire appears in order to illustrate the point that it's NOT always a good thing to do whatever you want so long as you hurt nobody .. that's one of favourite bits, along with the Butch Cassidy/tomato sauce blood explanation.

If you want a totally feel-good overall experience, and to be reminded of things we all would be better for remembering, do buy Illusions. I'm almost certain you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Introduction to Richard Bach, 14 Aug 2006
This is the first book you should read by Richard Bach. It is a short yet compelling story infused with the notion that reality is not what it seems. There are many insightful visions in this text and like most important lessons, we already know them but need to be reminded from time to time.

If you have a few hours to spare then read this book. It will not change your life but it will change your attitude.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, 4 Jun 2005
I bought this book several years ago and from the first page it captured my imagination. Make no bones about it, this book is life and thought changing stuff. I have lent my copy to many friends and now it has started to fall apart, hence I have returned to Amazon to buy another copy.
I try to reread it about once a year and every time I pick it up, the story manages to provide answers to whatever questions about life that may be in my mind at the time.
Probably the best book I ever bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to change your life?, 25 May 2006
Since discovering this book I have bought many copies of it to give to my students at the end of their 'A' level courses. An apparently simple story clearly told - but one which will tease you and make you review your own life and re-read the book over and over again.

If you need to reaffirm the purpose of life, see the wood from the trees, live life to the max and escape from a world view riddled with cliches ( ! ) then this is the book for you.

Undoubtedly the best present you could possibly give to yourself or any one else.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspiration, 1 Oct 2002
By A Customer
I was lent the book by someone who had already made a great impression on my life, I had been inspired by this person and their views on life but when I read 'Illusions' i realised that this book was the source of my friends beliefs. I have always questioned life, it's meaning, my role, and worried about my responsibilty to others, within Illusions i have found many of my answers and have since been able to view things from different perspectives. You can get out of the book any answers that you want, you can read things as you wish to read them - it will therefore satisfy any mind and help with the answers to any questions. Thank you Nathan for passing on 'the massiahs handbook'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still extraordinary after 15 years!, 3 July 2001
By A Customer
Richard Bach's classic is one of the very first self-development/spiritual books I ever read, and 15 years later it still compares very favourably with the best of the rest. There is profound truth and subtle humour on nearly every page, and I strongly recommend this beautifully written book to anyone who has not come across it yet.
The author meets stranger and fellow pilot Donald Shimoda and the story unfolds. About a third of the way through Richard starts reading the "Messiah's Handbook" which is quoted liberally from then on. It contains various pearls of wisdom.... "You teach best what you most need to learn", "Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours" and (one of my favourites) "You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it true. You may have to work for it however".
The chapter where Shimoda and Richard visit the cinema to discover the meaning of life is a high point and the twist at the end of the book is absolutely brilliant. Enlightenment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful learning, 7 Nov 2002
Mr. R. N. Lock "Ricky Lock" (bexley, kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Illusions is a wonderful experience. You are taken on a spiritual journey that will be insightful, enjoyable and engaging. I loved this book and learnt a lot about myself and where I am on my journey at this present time. Richard Bach has a brilliant way of making difficult concepts easy to understand. This book will be one you never forget and one you will pass on to your friends, so they can have this wonderful experience as well. my last words on Illusions : read it and learn more about yourself and our physical reality. brilliant !

5.0 out of 5 stars Transform your life for the price of a couple of beers!, 15 May 2005
K. Alexander "rfdesign" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I first came across this wonderful, wise, witty little book about thirteen years ago around the time when my daughter was born and both events turned my life around !
Recently, I gave my copy to that same daughter and now she is enjoying its timeless, transformative, wisdom just as I did.
This is a book that transforms lives and that will make a wonderful little gift for just about anyone that you care about. Buy a few copies and leave them on buses and in waiting rooms and know that you will have brought a glimpse of enlightenment to whoever finds them .

5.0 out of 5 stars Illusions may change your life, 20 Jan 2000
By A Customer
A friend loaned me Illusions with the instruction to read it three times in the next 24 hours then return it to her immediately.
As I read the book, I kept exclaiming "Yes, Yes." Everything in the book made so much sense and it was also a delightful story. Since that time, much of this wonderful book has affected and become part of my life. Everything I believed in, but didn't quite understand, was spelled out in such simplicity. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys receiving a positive influence in thier life or who just enjoy a good story.
I have read it countless times and it is new everytime.
Whenever someone really special in my life is having emotional problems, guess what I tell them...You got it. "Take this book and read it three time in the next 24 hours..."

5.0 out of 5 stars One can treat it like a scripture, 24 Jun 2006
A Passer By "Book Lover" (Leeds) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Richard Bach's "Illusions" is a little book telling a story of two biplane pilots of whom one was Messiah and the other - his student willing to become Messiah.

In a form of the "Messiah Handbook" and continuous dialogues between the two as well as the situations happening in the book, Richard Bach delivers us the life-changing information and the greatest wisdom of life where every person is responsible for the life he has and has power to change it if he wants, also that the material life is illusion and that the spiritual life where no space or time exist is what is real...

I've read this book several times but each time I read I see and understand it differently. However it is always highly inspiring, awakening, positive, thought provoking and by all means brilliant!!! I love this book. It's a bit like Antoine de Saint-Exupery's "The Little Prince" or Paulo Coelho's "Alchemist" which are all masterpieces of all times.

Illusions : the adventures of a reluctant Messiah
Illusions : the adventures of a reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach (Hardcover - 1977)
Used & New from: 0.15