5.0 out of 5 stars A fast, inventive adventure story
After reading Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy I decided this summer to read Pullman's four books about Sally Lockhart set in Victorian England and I'm glad I did. The books are an excellent read, and Pullman has enough changes in each book to stop them becoming repetitive.
This is the final book of the four. It has Jim as the main character, with...
Published on 31 Aug 2001 by J. Mann

2.0 out of 5 stars I have to say I'm dissappointed with this one
Before I start. I have to say the first three Sally Lockhart books (especially 2 and 3) were absolutly excellent (although I almost refused to read 3 after Phillip Pullmans choice of fate for certain main character!) However after having read The Tiger in the Well (which I struggled to put down) I settled down to The Tin Princess waiting to find out more about the...
Published on 18 Mar 2008 by Ms. Rr Bryant

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 April 2002
This review is from: The Tin Princess (Point) (Paperback)
The characters in this book are brilliant: Becky Winter, aged sixteen, talented, cheerful, poor, and yearning for adventure and romance, Jim Taylor, a consulting detective, vivid, intelligent, friendly, brave. Adelaide Bevan, a young woman, sharp, inquisitive, clever, passionate. Herr Strauss, Prince of Razkavia, naive, gentle, weak-willed,completely in love with Adelaide. There are plenty of other good characters, but these are the main four.
The plot is complex, with lots of exciting twists and turns and plenty of action. Becky Winter takes on more than she bargained for, when she agrees to teach a young lady called Adelaide to speak German, only to find that the girl is engaged to a Prince, who is in great danger. Becky then meets a detective, Jim Taylor, who has been looking for Adelaide for some time. Together, the three are led on a trail of mystery and danger to Razkavia, where the adventure really begins… This book never stops moving, it's so packed with action and mystery, it's impossible to get bored and I really cared about the main characters.
This book is set in Victorian times, so the language the characters use is old-fashioned.

4.0 out of 5 stars um ... nice story, 23 Feb 2001
This review is from: The Tin Princess (Point) (Paperback)
This is a good story - despite what I'm about to type. So remember, this is a very good story. Why oh WHY does Adelaide get Jim? She doesn't deserve him. Becky doesn't get half the glory she needs, and she doesn't even get a kiss from Karl -I think she could do with more action. I squirmed as Adalaide got more than her fair share of greatness. The story couldn't really gain apart from this apparent mix-up of personas. It's typical PP adventure, and loses none of its charm for this. I did feel at the end that somehow something was missing - there didn't seem to be the usual clean rounding off he's so good at. Although I did like the extra touch added by the demented and rejected spanish actress. Miss Carmen Ruiz had a fate to be proud of. It's worth reading even if you do end up wishing Adalaide would just shove off for a bit. Especially if you're into the rags to riches to rags again storyline. By the way, does anyone actually know if Razkavia ever really existed...?

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmmm, 28 Nov 2000
This review is from: The Tin Princess (Point) (Paperback)
Ilove Philip Pullman and his books but this is very disappointing, it's called a Sally Lockhart Novel so why only give her a couple of sentences??? After reading Tiger in the Well, I was eager to find out what had happened to the characters, most of all, Harriet. But no not one minutest mention of her! No hide nor hair of Webster Garland either! This veered away completely from Sally, the strong independant young woman we met in Ruby in the Smoke. Instead concentrating on Becky, not at all the wonderful heroine we knew and loved. Why, I ask Why? One more thing as well, 'Mrs.Goldberg' has changed now seemingly stern... Oh well...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, with only 1 minor flaw!, 19 Feb 2001
This review is from: The Tin Princess (Point) (Paperback)
This book is absolutely fantastic with an extremely captivating plot. The last few chapters of The Tin Princess kept me reading and reading and I just couldn't stop until i'd finished the book! Despite this, I couldn't help but notice one thing: The character called Herr Bangemann never actually did anything(that I noticed anyway). When he was hired, I expected him to have some sort of important role towards the end of the book, especially with his photgraphic memory ability, but he was barely mentioned at the end at all! Despite that, I think that Pullman has managed to pull off a great task with this book, and I would advise any Pullman fans to read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, but..., 30 May 2001
This review is from: The Tin Princess (Point) (Paperback)
This is a good book, in fact a really, really good book and thoroughly enjoyable the whole way through. It's a wonderful adventure with some great characters, and I would say it was perfect but for the fact that I did not like Adelaide AT ALL... Adelaide is a completely annoying character and I often found myself wishing that she would just go away so that I could read about Becky, whom I thought a much more likeable character. Other than that though, I found the book excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've ever read., 11 Nov 2000
This review is from: The Tin Princess (Point) (Paperback)
I love 'The Tin Princess' it is truely the best book I've ever read. There is so much action and the characters are so real that I found myself thinking about the book still days after I had finished it. I love the ending..., I think it was exceedingly well written and definately worth the read. Adalaide and Jim and Becky and all the others are so realistic I could almost feel their presense as I was reading.
Wonderful, I will read it again and again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for teens, 9 Nov 2000
This review is from: The Tin Princess (Point) (Paperback)
I'm 14 and a big fan of Philip Pullman's books but I was really disappointed by The Tin Princess. After being thrilled by The Tiger in the Well, I expected a worthwhile follow-up for the Sally Lockhart trilogy. I was in for a shock. The Tin Princess is, in a word, boring. I found myself skipping whole paragraphs just to get to the meaty bit. As it turned out, there WAS no meaty bit. I was really annoyed by the way Sally Lockhart was portrayed in this book. In the tiny role she had, her entire personality had changed. It would have been better if Pullman had just left her out completely. The only good thing about The Tin Princess was the main characters. As always they were strong and believable, especially Becky, although Adelaide really annoys. The ending was weird and inconclusive and it would be good if Pullman wrote another book to explain everything. Come on, P.P.! You can do better than this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Come on Pullman, You can do better than this, 14 Oct 2001
This review is from: The Tin Princess (Point) (Paperback)
I have read this book several times now but this is the only Sally Lockhart book that I feel is not worth buying. For a start Sally did not feature at all in the entire book apart from a few pages at the end, in which she seems to have become boring and thoroughly uninteresting - I realise that all the charactors have grown up a bit, but PP seemed to be making her out to be the steriotypical victorian woman she definately ISN'T.
And another thing, What was Jim thinking of, liking Adelaide? I would never have expected the Adelaide from The Ruby In The Smoke to turn into the lazy spoilt brat she is at the begining of the book (Although she does change for the better whilst being Queen). Even so, Jim could do so much better, someone like Becky for instance. Becky doesn't get half the recognition she deserves.
I also found the ending a bit odd... I think that if that was going to be the last in the Sally Lockhart series PP could have ended it with a bit more of a bang.
Despite all this I still gave the book 4 stars because like all the Phillip Pullmans it has a great plot and some brillient charactors,like the students and of course Jim, and I reccomend that you read it.

(I think somebody has already mentioned this, but does anyone know if Raskavia really existed? I can't find it in any encyclopedias, but it would be unlike PP to make something up when his books are usually so well researched.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing end to the series, 18 Mar 2014
John Hopper (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Tin Princess (Paperback)
This is the final novel in the Sally Lockhart quartet, but for me the most disappointing as Sally was hardly in it. It concerns instead the doings of the orphan girl Adelaide from The Ruby in the Smoke, who has managed to get herself married to the heir apparent to the throne of the (fictional) Ruritania-like kingdom of Razkavia, a tiny state between the German and Austro-Hungarian empires, and which is desperately trying to avoid being swallowed by either one. As a swashbuckler with murders, betrayals, lost princes and battles, this was decent, though it never felt as realistic as the previous novels and I found it difficult to take the plot seriously, because of that contrast. The country falls apart when the German army invades and Adelaide and her friends are forced to flee. The fates of several of the minor characters were unclear at the end of the novel. A disappointing end to the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Tin Princess (Paperback)
Arrived exactly as advertised. I love the covers on this set, as I used to own three different ones but lent them to other people and never got them back, so I bought the set again but with these different covers, which I like because they fit more with the Victorian/Edwardian theme of the books and look more like Penny Dreadful covers and the cartoons that were around at the time.

The Tin Princess (Point)
The Tin Princess (Point) by Philip Pullman (Paperback - 15 Sep 2000)
Usually dispatched within 10 to 13 days