5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 2 Sep 2003
This review is from: Escape (Point) (Paperback)
I LOVED this book. It's about 17-year-old Rowan, who having hit her younger (annoying) brother Jack around the head with a plank, is being treated by her family like a bomb about to go off. Fed up with exams and other people trying to plan her life, Rowan decides to spend her gap year in USA and be a nanny. Seems like a good idea, right? Wrong. The "adorable kid" she is looking after is not only spoilt, but has an insane, hyper control freak for a mother who keeps a strict schedule to plan Flossy's life. Deciding enough is enough, Rowan hits the road taking her only friend Iggy the iguana with her. Only things don't go quite according to plan-she bumps into a dreamboat at the bus stop who says he can get her a job in an out-of-the-way exclusive hotel. From then on it's a hilarious and gripping read as Rowan tries to catch the man of her dreams...a great book that all should buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Summer Read - Escape - Kate Cann, 14 Aug 2003
This review is from: Escape (Point) (Paperback)
"Escape" is a throughly enjoyable read! From the first word to the last I was hooked. Rowan is an extremely endearing character who young girls can relate to. I love the relationship she forms with "Iggy" the iguana it's so sweet and caring. Her adventure turns in to every girls dream, I won't give too much of the plot away but Rowan meets the boy of her dreams who leads her to "Paradise". From then on it's drama,passion,emotion,love,jealousy and FUN! All packed into this one fantasic Read! Escape is one of the few reads which really captures the thoughts and going on's in a teenagers life. When reading Escape I wanted to be where Rowan was it was all so perfect apart from the dramas she had to deal with, which made the story not too unimaginable if you know what I mean, which is a good thing. All in all Escape is well worth reading and i will defiantly read another Kate Cann book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Escape is seriously good!, 7 April 2005
This review is from: Escape (Point) (Paperback)
Last week i bought this book because the cover was nice and the blurb at the back sounded okay. I thougth that it would be a good book but at the end i would be a bit bored. Boy was i ever wrong! This book takes you through all the highs and lows of Rowan ( a nanny ) and Iggys ( a lizard )holiday as they embark on a trip 2 sunny San Francisco after leaving an evil woman called Sha, her child, Floss, and her husband who, pointedly tries to hit on Rowan. On the way to SF, they meet a boy called Landon who invites her to the country hotel he worked at the last year. We then experience the ups ( Landon ) and the lows ( Landon ) of the journey.
The reason i only gave this 4 stars was because until around halfway through the book all the author talks about is Rowan at her american familys house where she is looking after Floss. It only starts to get good when she meets Landon. A fit, handsome, cute and funny american guy. When she arrives at the hotel, Landon..... ( well you can read the book and find out what happens next.....)

5.0 out of 5 stars Escape. Exactly what it says on the tin., 13 Jun 2005
T. Thompson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Escape (Point) (Paperback)
A truly fantastic read, whether abroad or at home. Escape allows you to get away from daily life and delve into that of Rowan's, to which everybody can relate - pressurizing parents and questions about your goals in life - A great insight into how one escape leads to adventure and happenings along the way..brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars a light witty and interesting read, 29 July 2003
This review is from: Escape (Point) (Paperback)
Summary: Interesting, Witty, Adventurous,Fun
Reviewer: a reader from London
Board of her family bored of her life and board of England 17 year old rowan sets of on an adventure to the USA on a dream that turns out to be more of a nightmare when she find herself stuck with her new boss the psychotic Sha and her troubled child flossy. So she runs away with the neglected iguana Iggy and soon discovers it was the best decision she made so far.
I defiantly enjoyed this book, it is quite light reading it has and interesting and changing plot and the fact that you don’t know quite what rowan will do next makes it a real page turner. It well written and contains many emotions sometimes funny sometimes sad and sometime just plain desperate rowan battles through the problems she faces that are very different from the ones she faced at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem from Kate Cann, 2 Aug 2004
This review is from: Escape (Point) (Paperback)
I was thoroughly impressed by this book on first read, and countless reads on, I am STILL impressed by it!
I am a real Kate Cann fan. I have been reading her books from the age of about 14 yet I still enjoy them now aged 18. They still don't seem juvenile to me as they just aren't. They're not written in a condescending or childish manner, they're written for adults aswell as children.
The story is basically about how a young girl of 18 takes gap year work in america. There she discovers a lot about herself, and embarks on the adventure of her life with an iguana (aptly named 'iggy') in tow. Spice all this up with a crazy lady named Sha, kindness from the most unusual of places, and of course the obligatory lurve, and you end up with one hell of a good read.
Perfect summer stuff, I absolutely can't recommend it enough, and the rest of Kate Cann's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Escape (Paperback)
My daughter is 12 and loved this book. would recommend, action packed from the first page. couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, perfect for summer!, 29 July 2006
H. Griffiths (Kent, England UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Escape (Point) (Paperback)
I just finished reading this book and I didn't want it to end, it was just fantastic!

I've read some others of Kate Cann's books and this was my fav - closely follwed by the triology of 'Shacked Up', 'Hard Cash' and 'Speeding'.

Perfect summer read for anyone over the age of 16 I reckon (I was 17 when I read it) cos the characters are so true to life and really easy to emphasize with (I cried a few times too!).

There were a few unexpected twists along the way and the ending is just perfect, I couldn't have asked for anything more!!

BUY THIS BOOK!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Escape from the world with this book ..., 31 May 2004
This review is from: Escape (Point) (Paperback)
Kate Cann's amazingly detailed account of Rowan turned me towards her other books. I took this book on holiday with me, and read it by the pool of Thailand. This book made me escape from the world, I didn't look up at all, and i finished it in 1 day!
Kate Cann's story is great. Rowan has been drenched by freedom, and has an empty path ahead of her in the United States of America. But what can she do? Be a nanny perhaps. But what if that doesn't work? What if she meets 'someone' along the way and her plans go totally off track? Read the book to find out, and I strongly reccomend you do. Kate Cann really is a talented author, and this book makes you want to just GO to the United States and follow the track of Rowan!
In this book, Rowans family are treating her very tensly - as in, 'oh, be careful, Rowan might blow up!' Because Rowan kind of thwacked her brother on the head with a plank. So, Rowan's angry, and a gap year in the USA sounds like fun! ;-) So, her adventure starts. BUT... you can't make everything work out perfectly, right? Working for an extremely arrogant woman, and a sleazy man, isn't what Rowan wants ... does escaping solve all? Well, this is when the book REALLY begins. This is about the part where you feel so spontaneous, just because Rowan's being spontaneous!
"Ro-anne!" "Iggy, that's an original name..." "Wanna go swimming?" - Some farmiliar words said by the famous Landon, who plays an essential role in this book. American, hot and irrisistable ... Rowan can't help throwing away her plans of finding a job in San Fransisco, and just following this boy to pure bliss... thus, creating a rememable time for Rowan. Eden is born.
I don't review many books, so I feel that if I review a book, it should be truly special. This book is so good, I bought two copies (don't ask why I need two, I lost one, bought one more, then found the old one). I do reccomened this book, and (no offence) if you dislike this book, then we don't share the same tastes. If someone said to me they hate this book, I wouldn't be pleased ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars an addictive and brilliant read!, 10 April 2006
This review is from: Escape (Point) (Paperback)
great book for any1 over 12! luvin it sooo much i couldnt put it down! get it its gr8!!!!!!!!

Escape (Point)
Escape (Point) by Kate Cann (Paperback - 18 July 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01