5.0 out of 5 stars Full of feeling and truth
I thought this was an extremely good book. If Alice was a real person it must have been traumatizing and scary as she was only 13? London was very unlucky in 1665! I found that I couldn't get into it at first but as the pages went on it got alot better. This book is good for 9-14 year olds. I'm only 11 and I loved it.
Published on 7 April 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars The Great Plague My Story
Its 1665 and Alice lives with her father and Auntie in London, the plague is spreading quickly and Alice's aunt and father become very sick, her aunt dies soon after. Everyone is fleeing London to get away from the plague but the country people put up barriers and force them back to London, thousands are dying but they have no choice but to return.
Published 15 days ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars A realistic picture of 17th century London, 4 Mar 2013
The diary format makes it easy reading. Particularly recommended for able younger readers with an interest in history. List of historical sources at the back of the book good for further study.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 2 Feb 2013
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK FOR AGES 9-15 IT WAS A AMAZING BOOK YOU REALLY CONNECT WITH The
Characters amazing

5.0 out of 5 stars The great plague, 5 Jan 2013
I chose this rating because it was interesting realistic and I put 5 stars because it was sad but in the end it turned out fine

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative facts set in storybook fashion., 2 Jan 2013
Bought for my 10 and 11 year old grand-daughters this book and five similar ones have given the girls a great insight into life during the period the book refers to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read, 9 July 2012
Have bought one of the series of My Story books, initially for my children. I am now on a fourth book from the collection. This particular story is raw, vivid and touchable, I have never read about history in such an emotive way. Im so glad i found this creative, informative historical series, ive learnt so many facts i never knew before and feel history really has been brought to life. Highly recommend for young adults and adults alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story., 4 May 2011
Mrs. Clare Wade (Newcastle upon tyne) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my nine year old daughter who is really 'into' history. The book is written in diary form - a day by day account of life during the height of the black death. My daughter read the book in a couple of days and really enjoyed it, so much I read it too! And it was a good tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible use of accurate language, 27 Sep 2010
I was completely blown away by how accurately the author deploys seventeenth century language, and yet avoids the general obfuscation of the unfamiliar words of the period etc.

She manages to keep short highly readable sentences in an extrenely authentic 17th century voice. Charactreisation and details also very well placed.

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderfull book, 13 Aug 2014
this story is a great diary of a girl in the plage. this book captures what it was like having people who are close dieing and what it was like knowing people having every thing lost in the great fire of london.

4.0 out of 5 stars scare cat!!?, 2 Jan 2014
purchased two ..put them in two "hotspots" ...next day pile of c**p within 2 feet of both of them .......will persevere

3.0 out of 5 stars good insight for younger readers, 15 Dec 2010
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

I teach high school history and find it hard at times to find good, accurate historical novels for a younger audience and I am now pleased to say I have found a whole series of them.

What I liked about this book is that it was very accessible for younger readers and I liked the diary style of it. I liked that it was written by a person of a sim...moreI'm going to be honest - this isn't a book I would have gone out and bought as it isn't Young Adult but I am really glad I received it.

What I liked about this book is that it was very accessible for younger readers and I liked the diary style of it. I liked that it was written by a person of a similiar age of the intended audience. I liked that it really gave a feel of the time period and looked in depth at the social impact of the plague and great fire of london on Britain. Definately a series I will be looking to get more of for school and recommending my students read

The Great Plague: The Diary of Alice Paynton, London 1665 - 1666 (My Story)
Used & New from: 0.01