5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, Desire and Drive
The era of knights and fair damsels is once again upon us through the brilliant work of Tamora Pierce and her heroically magical world of Tortall. This series of books introduces us to the fantasy world of life as Pages and Squires at the court of King Roald. But does our heroine...yes heroine, 'Page Alan', but really Alanna of Trebond, disguised as a boy. She works her...
Published on 5 Jun 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but ...
Please don't get me wrong. I really like the story coz it's full of action and most of all, the main character, Alanna, was a heroine who could be the best fighter and also still a woman :). Well, no problem with that.
What I don't like about is the romance part. Alanna sounded like an (almost) easy woman. I almost feel petty with George (the one who relly loves her...
Published on 1 Aug 2003 by Spy Groove

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 5 Oct 2003
By A Customer
I'm not gonna give any of the plots away at all i'm just gonna say that these are the best books i've ever read. i read them when i was about 9 when i found them in a library and then got completely hooked. i'm now 16 and still love them. Tamora Pierce lives in the worlds she writes about and the description she gives are amazing.She writes about different languages, magicks, cultures and you cannot fault each. All of her books ahve really inspired me and i think anyone should read these. They are way better than Harry Potter!!!! ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read!!, 19 July 2004
J. K. Webb "JodieKate" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Song of the Lioness Quartet (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by a friend and although I was a bit sceptical at first I decided to give it a go.
From the first page I was hooked, this is so unlike anything else I have read, it is written beautifully and in a way that teenagers would not find offputting but adults can appreciate.
The story of Alanna starts when she is just 11 years old, facing a life as a noble lady all she really wants to do is become a knight, her twin brother Thom would like to learn sorcery but as the only boy in the family must be sent to the palace to earn his knighthood. The obvious solution, for them to swap places. Alanna disguises herself as a boy and her brother forges letters from their father which say that they are actually twin boys. As ridiculous as this may sound the story works incredibly well and doesn't leave any loose ends.
The thing I liked most about this book is the way the story changes as Alanna grows up, the reader sees how her priorities and interests change and can truly identify with the characters.
A must read for anyone into fantasy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Song of the Lioness Quartet, 5 Nov 2004
This review is from: Song of the Lioness Quartet (Paperback)
I found that this book was the book that I have been looking to read for a long time.
It contains everything that it needs to make it a good read, from all about learning to be a knight, to love, it gives enough detail in this book to make it real but not so much that it is tedious, it is all about a girl called Alanna who wishes to be a knight, she has a twin brother Thom who wants to be a great sorceror, this can only happen if they swap places so Alanna gets away from the convent where she is meant to have been sent.
The ideas that come up in this book inspire everyone that if they really want something to happen, if they work hard enough, it will.
I am glad I got these 4 books in 1 as the end of each story makes you need to know what happens next, already I am looking forward to the next book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soooo gud, 15 May 2004
By A Customer
This series is amazing! I read it when I was about 10 and loved it. I'm now 13 and I've just read the "Protector of the small" books. That reminded me of this series and I reread it. Johnathon is sooo mean. He starts out really nice and kind to Alana and he's trustworthy and doesn't reveal she's a girl to anyone but then he breaks her heart-and mine! Alana's a very strong character. After reading "Protector of the small" I realise how different and similar Alana and Kel are. For instance, Kel's tall and Alana's short, Alana's got a bad temper and Kel never looses her temper, she always stays Yamani calm but in the end they both want the same thing, to follow what they feel is their destiny. I like Sir Myles, Gareth, Raoul, George and the rest. I love the cat and the horse but I really love animals. All in alll a very good series. Definately worth reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC FICTION, 3 Nov 2005
This review is from: Song of the Lioness Quartet (Paperback)
I'm sorry, I know many of you out there probably think I'm an absolute nutter but hear me out. Thousands of Americans are loving Tamora Pierce and have done so for a good 10 years now. Why shouldn't the Brits get their say?! I first read The Woman Who Rides Like A Man (the third book in the series) at about the age of 9 or 10 and I fell in love with it. The expression, "nose stuck in a book", yep, that was me. With her breathtaking mix of gender issues, class issues, sexuality, romance, fighting, Pierce has woven a masterpiece that can only be congratulated. This quartet is a MUST for ANY person; man, woman, girl or boy, who wants to read more fantasy fiction. I just have one word - fanb****ytastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Song of the Lioness Quartet, 27 Jan 2005
This review is from: Song of the Lioness Quartet (Paperback)
I read this about seven years ago and have been trying to find it since. Its a really good book, and it started me reading a lot of books like it. Its a good place to start for fantasy fiction, the story telling is fast paced and the end always comes to quickly. At the end of each book i always want to read the next one, which is why my copies are falling apart and i need a new copy.
A good read, i recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - They're finally in a box set?! Happiness!, 15 Nov 2003
By A Customer
I think I first read 'In the hand of the Godness' when I was 11 and I never really stopped. These books are definately Tamora Pierce's best. Alanna's an excellent character who became a real, breathing person to me as soon as I read the first page.
I would reccomend anyone to buy this boxset. The only thing I can think of that's beter than one Alanna book is all four together!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still love them, 23 Mar 2010
This review is from: Song of the Lioness Quartet (Paperback)
I started off reading Pierce with the Protector of the Small series. I had heard great things about her first quartet and wasn't disappointed. An essential for Pierce fans

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't want to stop for anything!, 8 Feb 2008
This review is from: Song of the Lioness Quartet (Paperback)
This book is the first book that truly grabbed me, lately. It grabbed me by throat and told me to read, read, read!
I read solidly for four days barely wanting to leave my bedroom for meals. Tamora Pierce has really created an amazing story. The four books follow the life of Alanna from the age of 10 to 20. Alanna is going to be spent to a convent and her twin brother Thom to the palace in Corus to learn how to be a knight. Alanna wants to learn to fight and her brother wants to be a sorcerer so they switch places.
Do yourself a favour and read this book, just beware of dangerous addiction problems! haha!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 7 May 2006
Lucy - See all my reviews
This review is from: Song of the Lioness Quartet (Paperback)
This has to be one of the best books EVER! I was lent it by a friend...not thinking i would like it...but LOVED it!...and became addicted to all the books in this series...

amazing...

Song of the Lioness Quartet
Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce (Paperback - 18 Jun 2004)
Used & New from: 67.88