5.0 out of 5 stars riveting roller-coaster journey of emotions of a break-up
Published on 6 Aug 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars A different opinion.
Published on 10 Aug 2009 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars riveting roller-coaster journey of emotions of a break-up, 6 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This book took me over and left me as exhausted as Coll must have been dealing with her raw emotions on the break-up from her boyfriend Art, and carrying on with her A levels. Relentless exploration of her pain, unhappiness, desperation, contrasted with how she manages to haul herself back into reality and how she deals with him when he erupts back into her life. Any teenager faced with the same situation must read this book, to know they're not the only ones to feel gutted when someone you love desperately walks out. Most importantly, it tells you that whatever agony you go through, whatever the searing experience, there can be a new beginning. Read it and tell your mates about it. A must.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, it really helped be to sort my head out!!!!!, 31 May 2002
Ms. S. Wass (England) - See all my reviews
I read all of the Art and Coll trilogy in a few days. It just completely amazed me how true to my life these books were. I found it, much like coll, hard to talk to anyone about my boyfriend and i but after a year of agonising over him these books helped me realise some of the thing a want in life and that true love does last.
CONGRATULATIONS to Kate Cann for writing such a meaningful set of books, I hope there will be a follow on series of books about Art and Coll because these characters are so real life!!
I would advise anyone to read it, even if you have not had the same trouble has the main characters because the underlying issues are just as real!!!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars A different opinion., 10 Aug 2009
This review is from: Sink or Swim (Kate Cann Trilogy) (Paperback)
I'm in my early 30s now but read the first two of the trilogy in my teens and loved them, I still own them both and they are more than dog eared as I've picked them up and re-read them many times over the years. Even as an adult reading a book aimed at teens they were still very readable and enjoyable, the style of writing was still suitable to the older market. So I can rule out my disappointment on finally reading the third book being because I was now a lot older than I was when I read the others.

I honestly think that the author should have left it as a two book series and not made it a trilogy. It felt as though she was over egging the pudding and trying to capitalise on what was best left as it was. The book mainly consists of how heartbroken Coll is in the aftermath of the breakup, I think the reader was left in no doubt she would be at the end of book 2. I didn't need to read an entire book about it. The end of the book leaves you with no real, further resolution to the one we were left with at the end of book 2 anyway. Yes, we find out Art really had felt as much as Coll but I think that too was pretty obvious and didn't need pointing out as a big 'ending' to the trilogy. Nothing in this book is a major revelation and she succeeded in telling us all of this 'between the lines' with the first two books.

I almost wish I hadn't read it as I felt it was so poor (story wise, her writing is as good as ever) it's tainted how I felt about the others which, even as a grown woman, married with kids, I still felt was more than a book but a useful tool for teenagers, to show them the way they feel about relationships/sex is normal.

It was drawing out a story that had, in my opinion, already ended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing and perfect conclusion, 30 Mar 2004
This is the third book in the Coll and Art Trillogy, and in my opinion provides a perfect conclusion to the first two novels.
Ending a deep and intense relationship is difficult for anyone, but especially difficult for Coll as she still has to face other hurdles in life including exams and pushy friends. Again, anyone who has been in this kind of relationship and had these kind of feelings (especially at a young age) will be able to relate to Coll's experiences in this book - her thoughts and feelings are so realistic in places that it really is astounding.
The ending to this trillogy is extremely fitting and satisfying. We have seen the characters develop and grow emotionally and intellectually, and are left with a great sense that their lives will continue to grow and develop. The character's lives are by no means over and done with by the end of the trillogy; indeed one is rather left with the feeling that they are really on the verge of new and exciting experiences and journies of self-discovery.
A highly readable and enjoyable book that I would reccomend to anyone who has experienced any kind of deep emotional relationship.

5.0 out of 5 stars best book in the world, 28 July 2005
This review is from: Sink or Swim (Kate Cann Trilogy) (Paperback)
i think sink or swim is one of the best books i have ever read. I read the other two books and it only took me two days to read them all because they were so hard to put down. I was desperate to know what had happened between art and collette. I thought the way the author showed how the characters were feeling was so realistic unlike many books where the authors make it seem all so straight forward becasue it obviously isnt. when reading this it made me want to hug collette and tell her everything would be ok and i wanted to slap val and tell her to stop being so mean to greg. I was quite disappointed in how it ended though after collette and joe kissed in the car i really wanted them to get together just to put arts nose out of joint. i thought they would have made a great couple because he really cared about her and knew what art was capable of. i hope the author will consider writing a follow up to tell us what happens to all the characters in all three books :collette, joe, art, maggie, val, greg, rachel. i would recomend this to all teenagers because it really makes you think about things.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!, 9 July 1999
By A Customer
In this amazingly readable sequel to "Diving In" and "In the Deep End", Colette finds herself trying to cope without sexy, desirable Art. Despite all the trauma and drama in the course of their fiery relationship, she misses him badly. This book is brilliant and like all of Kate Cann's novels, very true-to-life and realistic. A must-read.

4.0 out of 5 stars wow, 22 Feb 2008
wow, i just couldn't put the second one down!!i have read diving in about 6 times, in italian and in english, i first read it when i was 14 and i only discovered at 20 there were other two!!!i finished the book last night and today i cant think of anything else but the story and coll and art....i must be quite masoquist!!!but the only reason i havent rated it 5 is that if it dosent have a happy ending i'll probably crie myself silly!!!!i have ordered it and i'm waiting!!!
i have also given diving in to my cousine to read as i hope she can relite to it but i have also advised it to my mum who's 55!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars This was a book so true to life, a good read., 19 Oct 1998
By A Customer
I enjoyed reading this book and I felt for the characters immensely as the story unwrapped. It reflects the teenage world today and how they think and act.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holl_n_ash@hotmail.com, 18 Aug 2005
This review is from: Sink or Swim (Kate Cann Trilogy) (Paperback)
We enjoyed these books and read them none stop. I cannot believe the suspense that the last book ends by. PLEASE PLEASE write a fourth book, how could you leave us hanging?!I need the fourth book it is very true to life and i feel attatched to this book although it isn't true, it has been very fun to read and i enjoyed every minute of reading it, it only took me a few days. That is my only complaint about the way it finishes ( a cliffhanger) I would advise anyone and everyone to read this trilogy although it could have you crying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate Cann's fab third book in the Coll and Art trilogy!, 21 July 1999
By A Customer
"Sink or Swim" by Kate Cann is brilliant. You have to read it. Colette is trying to handle breaking up with Art, but it's so hard. Her friends have lost patience with her; her grieving time is up; no one wants to hear about it anymore. But she still hasn't gotten over him and she's not interested in dating any other guys. Just when she thinks she's getting her life back together, Art waltzes back in again...

Sink or Swim (Kate Cann Trilogy)
Sink or Swim (Kate Cann Trilogy) by Kate Cann (Paperback - 17 Jun 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01