4.0 out of 5 stars Sea Change
I have to admit that I only added this book to my wish list quite a while ago due to the cover. I love beautiful book covers and this one looked so enchanting. With its pearly blue colour and beautiful boy and girl, the cover instantly drew me in and made me want the book, no matter what it was about.

Miranda was a great protagonist and as the story is told...
Published on 27 Dec. 2010 by Fiction_Fan

3.0 out of 5 stars Paranormal Fantasy Addict
Although a brilliant story woven together with a thought-through and entertaining storyline and loveable characters, Ocean of Secrets, was slow-paced, a little repetitive and predictable.

Published on 8 Aug. 2012 by Aiysha

4.0 out of 5 stars Sea Change, 27 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Sea Change (Paperback)

Miranda was a great protagonist and as the story is told from her POV, I got to find out a lot about her. At the beginning, she knew what she wanted out of life and knew that she was never going to be one of the beautiful, popular girls. Although she was a bit neurotic at times, I did like her, mostly because she was down to earth a lot of the time. It was interesting to see Miranda change once she arrived on Selkie Island, even if the transition was a little too quick for my liking. Maybe that was just some of the magic of the island showing through though. For a girl that recently suffered from some boy trouble, Miranda was incredibly quick to trust the boys on the island. If that had been me, there is no way I would have rushed into anything with anyone, no matter how nice they seemed.

Leo was so fascinating. As soon as Miranda saw him on the beach, I knew I was going to fall in love with him. It was clear that he wasn't like the other boys on the island, the ones that summered there and that instantly drew me to him. I think he would have come close to being perfect for me. He was sweet and caring but also mysterious and cheeky with a added hint of bad boy thrown in for good measure. Although deep down I think I really knew that he was a nice guy, I couldn't help but hope he was a lot more naughty than he seemed. There was so much mystery surrounding Leo and his family and I couldn't wait to find out more about him.

Considering I thought that this book was about merfolk, there wasn't really an awful lot about them included, apart from some legends that Miranda gets to read about. I wanted to know who, if anyone, was a mermaid/man but I never got to know. One of the things that I thought was going to be exciting about this book was that Miranda would fall in love with a merman or that she would be a mermaid herself. I guess the author did leave a lot of that up to the readers imagination but I would have liked a bit more fact in it all. As I was reading, I kept thinking that the merfolk parts were coming up but they never did so this was quite disappointing at times.

Along with the lore of merfolk, Sea Change also had a lot of history. I loved this aspect of the book as I really enjoy knowing a background of a place or person and here, I got to know both. Isadora was a complete mystery to begin with and although her story wasn't the main aspect of the book, her own story came through nicely, which explained a lot about Miranda and her mother. History didn't just focus on the Merchant family though and I liked that other inhabitants of the island were also included. Knowing all of these little things helped to wrap up some of the story nicely and tie everything together.

My biggest problem with this book was that it was so short and there is no sequel in sight. I felt like there was no real closure for a lot of the characters and no definite answers to many things. I really wanted to know what happens next with Miranda and Leo but for now, it seems like it is going to remain a mystery forever. Other than that though, Sea Change is a wonderful read full of romance and fantasy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Paranormal Fantasy Addict, 8 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Ocean of Secrets (Paperback)

We were introduced to Miranda Merchant from the start and the beginning of the book was very gripping and had quite a few gaps wanting to be filed throughout the rest of the story that you had to read in order to fill them in. Miranda seemed really innocent and although there are many people out there similar to here, at times she felt unrealistic and just someone in a book. I have noticed that I tend to enjoy books more where the main character/s are developed well and feel like they're coming out of the book at you but I didn't feel this with Miranda which was probably why at times I failed to understand what was happening and had to re-read. Leo, the boy that Miranda later meets at the beach was very confident and to forward I think for my liking. Although in a book you think something was okay when I thought about it realistically it would've been a no-no and I would be very angry at him at times. However he was high up on the scale compared to the other guys in the story so after a while I began to like him.

I was very gripped in with the storyline and I thought it was very interesting and different with its adaptation of the Merfolks. I hadn't accepted the book to be paranormal, but as I did I began to like and enjoy it despite what I felt about the characters. I think the romance was quite predictable but other than that everything was a mystery to be solved with little clues on the way but not giving the answer outright. However I think answers should've been extracted from something or someone else. Anything but an old book as its like this in so many books and stories that you get fed up of the main protagonist reading an ancient book finding out about paranormal creatures etc. I would've picked it out straight away for being unique had the author including something different.

The content of the writing was good and easy to understand with the use of different and eloquent qords making the story flow smoothly. The language was well targeted at the readers it is for and was well-suited to the main protagonist of the story.

I really enjoyed the story-line, a summer full of romance, secrets and adventure with a bit of a twist of paranormalness that made it enjoyable and a good summer read. If you're looking for a book with a lot of suspense, excitement and adventure I wouldn't look here as it's just a short and sweet read more aimed at younger readers of about twelve to seventeen probably but I think I would've enjoyed it even if I was older than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 12 Aug. 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sea Change (Hardcover)
Most people think that mermaids and mermen, aka "Merfolk," are creatures of myth and legend and that they don't exist. But what if they do exist? We rooted for Ariel and her prince to live happily ever after, so with that in mind allow the fantastical aspect in your brain to take over for a moment and you have Aimee Friedman's newest book, SEA CHANGE. With an air of mystery and some romance, this book will suck you in with the cover alone. It's just gorgeous, foreshadowing things to come.

Miranda is spending the summer on Selkie Island, a small island off the Georgia Coast. She is helping her mom pack up the house her grandmother left to her mother when she died. You ask anyone who lives around there about Selkie Island and they can tell you all sorts of interesting local legends and lore.

The most interesting one is about the Merfolk. According to the legend, Captain McCloud fell in love with a mermaid, married her, and they lived on an island he named Selkie, which is the Scottish word for a creature than can turn from a seal into a human. They had several children, who took after their mother and were Merfolk - human on land and fish-like in the sea. Many of their descendants are still living on the Island today.

But Miranda is a girl of science who needs proof and knowledge to proceed forward. Did I mention she is headstrong and stubborn, as well? She is not one of the those girls that swoons at the sight of a gorgeous guy. But then she meets Leo......

There is something about Leo. He is not like the people that flock to the Island over the summer. Leo is a local - he lives on the Island year-round. Miranda is instantly drawn to him, but remember, she is a girl of science, and this so goes against her logical nature. There is just something about Leo, and no matter how attracted she is to him, it's just not sitting right with her.

Just go for it, girl! I know many girls who would love to have a guy like that. But could Leo possibly be hiding something, or is there really something to the stories Miranda has come across?

To put it simply, I liked this story because I really enjoyed Miranda and Leo and the realm of possibilities. It was the magical possibilities that drew me in. I would have been very happy leaving the other characters out and just reading about Leo and Miranda. It was implied what Leo was, but never said outright, and this just made the story all the more enjoyable. Friedman leaves you hanging at the end, too. I would like to see a second book that delves deeper into Miranda and Leo's relationship.

All in all, this book is absolutely a great summer read.

Reviewed by: coollibrarianchick

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, reminiscent of L'Engle, 31 May 2010
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sea Change (Hardcover)
Miranda Merchant is in for a big surprise this summer. She is joining her mother, prim and proper Dr. Merchant, on Selkie Island. She is going there to help her mother clean out the summer house she inherited from her estranged mother. On the way to the island by ferry she is warned by an old sea dog to be cautious of who she meets on the island. Her life is about to change in ways she never imagined, having gone to a Science Prep School back in New York City.

On the Island she starts to learn about her mother's past, as a southern belle who vacationed on this island year after year. She also meets some of her mother's friends from her youth. Miranda is also trying to get away from her past to some extent. Her ex-boyfriend and ex-best friend are both people she is trying to push from her mind. Here she meets other summer people, and daughters of her mother's friends - southern belles who pick dibs on who they will hook up with for the summer. But she also meets a strange island boy Leo, who seems different but in a good way, and maybe in a dangerous way. Good girl Miranda starts taking chances and risks she would not have done at home.

I picked up this book because I loved This Totally Bites - Poison Apple Book 2, written by Aimee under the pseudonym Ruth Ames. The cover of the book also attracted my attention. The mix of legends and myths, and a bit of mystery in a coming of age story, is wonderfully done. Aimee Friedman has written a wonderful story about love, falling in love, loss and grief and combines it all in a cohesive whole. It is a great story and we can only hope that we will encounter Miranda and the mythology of Selkie Island again.

3.0 out of 5 stars sea change, 8 May 2010
This review is from: Sea Change (Hardcover)
Ok, I'm not going to mess you around, I'll tell you honestly. the book was slow, you're left with questions at the end and you're thinking to yourself, is that if? well yeah it is, I'm sure there will be another book, but I really have to say it was different, itwas good, but not that god, read it and you'll see, I won't say not to read it, 'cause there's some pretty good kissing in it, but other than that and it'boring, seriously boring, and hard to follow, and you don't really find out if Leo is a merman or not, it just ends and one minute the girls thinking, oh he's just some guy and the next seconds she's talking to the water, thingking how cool it is to have a boyfriend who's a merman!!!!!! it's incomprehensible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Ocean of Secrets (Paperback)
Good read

Sea Change
Sea Change by Aimee Friedman (Hardcover - Jun. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01