4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read from Ms Pierce
Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice one off, pity it's meant to fit into the series
Battle Magic is meant to fit into the gap between Street Magic and Will of the Empress.

Published 10 months ago by Nicola

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read from Ms Pierce, 17 Nov 2013
Amazon Customer (Maryport, Cumbria United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle Magic (Hardcover)
I discovered some years ago that just because you're a mature adult, it doesn't preclude you from reading and enjoying fantasy books that are on the teenage shelf. If its a good storey, who cares? This is no exception. This book follows on from the opening of the circle quartet and continues the adventures of Briar, Rosethorn and Evi. It fills in the missing links covered in Melting Stones. I really enjoyed reading about these characters but I think you need to read the other books in the cycle to understand what is happening in this novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice expansion to the Circleverse, 11 Oct 2013
R. Davies - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle Magic (Hardcover)
[[Spoilers]] This book bridges the gap in which Briar, Evvy and Rosethorn end up in a war. As the title suggests, there's battles and they use their magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battle Magic, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Battle Magic (Hardcover)
Lovely book I really enjoyed this Evi meets her new friend from the mountain called Luvo. A delightful twist in the tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good fill in, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Battle Magic (Hardcover)
Covers the ground implied in The Will of the Empress so vital for anyone who enjoys the series factor. Opens up the geography of the East in this world too.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's nice to be back in the Circle of Magic universe, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Battle Magic (Hardcover)
I first discovered Tamora Pierce’s work in my first year of secondary school. I started off with The Protector of the Small quartet and was hooked from there. I devoured her Tortall works and reread my favourites frequently. I didn’t discover her Circle of Magic universe until I was sixteen and despite my love of Tortall and her characters there, my heart was truly captured by the four children who made up the original Circle of Magic books.

Battle Magic is the latest book from this universe, and fills in the gaps mentioned in The Will of the Empress and Melting Stones. It concerns Briar, a plant mage from the original four children, and his travels with Rosethorn, his teacher and fellow pant mage, and Evvy, a child stone mage. They travel to Yanjing and Gyongxe, lands similar to Eastern Asia in culture. They are caught up in a war as the Yanjingi emperor tries to conquer Gyongxe.

I loved this book from the first page to the last. Reading about some of my favourite characters and going with them on a journey of determination, pain, loss, duty and friendship. The characters were true to their previous iterations and behaved as I would expect them to. This book was my equivalent of a large duvet and a cup of hot chocolate: it comforted me and kept me feeling all warm and content.

That said, as much as I enjoyed this novel, I’m not sure how much of it would make sense without reading the previous books in the series. Much of the plot relies on previous knowledge of these characters and their skills and without this certain parts of the story would not make sense. I would urge people who think this book sounds like something they would enjoy to read the previous books. They are all considered young adult fantasy but I feel they would be suitable for any age. This book is darker than the beginning books and does deal with some rather graphic violence as well as touching upon some sexual themes.

This book has cast its magic upon me, just like its predecessors. I loved each bit of it and the way it captured my imagination. I recommend this for anyone who is a fan of Tamora Pierce’s work and the whole Circle of Magic series to anyone who enjoys good fantasy novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice one off, pity it's meant to fit into the series, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: Battle Magic (Hardcover)

While it does in terms of timeline (aside from one teeny tiny point, which isn't actually important so I'm trying not to care), all those things that Briar hints he went through, dreamed about, and generally goes 'aaaargh' over in Empress haven't QUITE made it into this book.

I think that the follow on from this to Melting Stones is slightly better. But Melting Stones doesn't have the four mains, who are the people I wanted to read about.

It's a good story. Believable characters, acting how I would expect in the situations she threw at them. But I cannot consider this to be part of the series, as much as I want to.

(This is my opinion, obviously, feel free to disagree with me, and I'm always up for a discussion on it!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Aug 2014
great read as usual

Battle Magic
Battle Magic by Tamora Pierce (Hardcover - 24 Sep 2013)
10.69