4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic conclusion, 10 April 2012
This review is from: Gregor and the Code of the Claw (Underland Chronicles) (Paperback)
I have got through this series so quickly it's unbelievable and I'm actually quite sad it's over, I got full immersed in the world and don't really want to leave it yet.
This book is the last one in the series and my word does it go out with a bang. Everything comes together for one last war and not everyone will survive.
Gregor finds out that the last prophecy left declares that 'the warrior' must die. He knows it is referring to him and there is no way he can get out of it. If he doesn't fight the whole of Underland could be destroyed.
I love Gregor in this book, when faced with looming death he doesn't back down and run, he steps up and acts like a hero. Of course he has his moments of panic and doubt and temptation to run but he is loyal and courageous. It just felt so real and I had to admire him.
There are so many twists in this book, Luxa and Gregor, Solevet in charge, Lizzie in Underland, just so much to keep you hooked into the pages.
I love how this book all comes together and every time I thought i had come to a conclusion as to what would happen/what the prophecy meant, something would happen and I would have to rethink.
The rats develop a secret code to transfer messages and I really loved seeing how everyone would figure it out, and there were bits in the book that were written in the code, they were mostly then translated below, but I had fun trying to do it myself with the explained code. I love that sort of thing.
Boots is still one of my favourite characters and she is growing into a proper little heroin before our eyes.
There is literally so much action in this book I could not put it down, I had to know what would happen, not just to Gregor but to the whole of Underland.
The ending isn't completely conclusive but it is a hopeful ending that hints at the future and I was actually quite satisfied with it. There was something in my head that I wanted to happen that didn't but it was a good ending nevertheless.
This series deserves a lot more attention than it currently gets, I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars /I / I/ \ \ . II\ I// \ / . /I II/ \ . I/ \ I// II\\ / \ ., 19 May 2007
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Ha! Got you there, haven't I?

The title of this review is written in the Code of Claw*, so you'll have to read the book and then listen for my scratching, scratching, scratching and the tapping, tapping, tapping, but I warn you - TIME IS RUNNING OUT!!!!

The fifth and final installment in the Underland Chronicles brings everything together in epic scale, as foretold by The Prophecy of Time. This prophecy contains two lines that everybody has been hiding from Gregor, the twelve year old New Yorker now known as the Warrior.

WHEN THE MONSTER'S BLOOD IS SPILLED,

WHEN THE WARRIOR HAS BEEN KILLED

As you can see, a grim fate awaits our hero - or does it? As readers of the series will know by now, the prophecies of Bartholomew of Sandwich are sometimes open to many interpretations, but as this one seems pretty cut and dried, Gregor has to make the decision to stay in the Underland, or return to the relative safety of the Overland.

Several factors limit his options, and this would have been a very short book had he chosen to flee, but things get even more complicated with the arrival of another member of the family down below, bearing bad tidings of those above.

Meanwhile, the Gnawers have joined forces with a long forgotten group of Underland creatures, and spurred on by the insane Bane, they have launched an all out war against Regalia. An alliance has been formed between the Humans, Fliers, Crawlers, and Nibblers, with a little help from the neutral Spinners, but the key to their survival lies in breaking the Code of Claw, which the Gnawers are using to transmit information.

Be warned that lots of blood and other fluids are shed in this final episode, but there are also lots of surprises, both pleasant and unpleasant, that neatly wrap everything up by the closing chapters. The ending may or may not be what you've been hoping for, but there's no doubt that The Underland Chronicles is one of the most imaginative and ground breaking series available in current children's fiction. You'll need to read the first four books before tackling this one, but at least now you can read them one after the other and not have to wait like those of us who have avidly followed the series from book one.

Highly recommended for young readers, and those who are young at heart.

Amanda Richards

*The simplified version straight from the Tree of Transmission

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Aug. 2014
I am a thirteen year old girl who loves fantasy and adventure books. I had already read the hunger games and loved them so I decided I should try these. Whilst reading the first book, I just became so interested in it, and found it was so easy, I knew that I would love these books. Since then, I have devoured the series, thinking like the characters, loving all the Gore and war. I would definitely recommend this series to anyone between the age of 8-15, especially for those who loves adventure and a little blood. Trust me, THESE BOOKS ARE AMAZING!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gregor and the code of claw, 21 Aug. 2014
Amazing but you need to read the other books first to understand.
Sad at the end because so many people die.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 7 Aug. 2014
i have the book about a million times i would reccomend it to every one. so sit down and to read THE CODE OF CLAW

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 July 2014
Grandson delighted with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gregor and the Code of the Claw (Underland Chronicles, 24 Jan. 2010
I. Morrill (Coin, Malaga, Spain) - See all my reviews
Yet again Suzanne Collins has grabbed the reader. This does bring a lot together from the series, it is important to read from the begining. My ten year old son was gripped!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas books, 8 Mar. 2013
This was one of the series I took to South Africa at Christmas. My son in law had the e book editions, but wanted the real thing for the family.

Gregor and the Code of the Claw (Underland Chronicles)
Gregor and the Code of the Claw (Underland Chronicles) by Suzanne Collins (Paperback - 9 Aug. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01