5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for Anybody Who Wants To Learn Idioms!
Published on 18 Nov. 2009 by edrm

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Again it seems to be a common denominator that the Scholastic books are not very detailed. Thank you.
Published 2 months ago by occasionalbuyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for Anybody Who Wants To Learn Idioms!, 18 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms (Paperback)
I have some dictionaries on idioms and I find this one the most helpful because it is really suitable for people who learn English as a second language. I suppose it may be really hard for them to understand idioms at first. However, they may find it useful once they get the hang of it. Unfortunately I found my several new expressions in this dictionary. However, I'm so intrigued by informative and well-organized explanations of each idiom that I would like to recommend this to those who are still struggling to learn English. The main reason is that it sure helps us reinforce our imaginations by judging the meaning from the context. Take the following sentence for example: He blew a gasket when he found out he was fired. In this case, 'to blow a gasket' is an idiom. I would guess whether the sentence means the positive or negative first. Then I would guess how I would feel if I were in his shoes. If possible, I would try to put it differently. I would express this way,"He was furious when he found out he lost his job." Now you might catch what it means; 'to blow a gasket' means 'furious' or 'very angry'. The bottom line is you will strengthen your understanding on idioms if you practice guessing what your new idioms mean from the contexts. But beware; don't overuse them. It'll make sentences unnatural or even wordy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Idioms, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms (Paperback)
Got this book for my nephew. This guide to idioms provide student with fun idioms we commonly use. Great little referece book to have for your kids to aid them in their writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 12 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms (Paperback)
This book is excellent well explained and a friend who is German wanted a copy. I will send it to her as it is easy to ready with good explanations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Idioms, 23 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms (Paperback)
Interesting and useful book, ideal for Christmas post dinner conversation. It is also useful for planning quiz nites for friends.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 17 Feb. 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile book, 22 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms (Paperback)
Excellent book with good clear definitions of commonly used idioms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Dec. 2014
very useful, well organised

Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms
Scholastic Dictionary of Idioms by Marvin Terban (Paperback - July 2006)