4.0 out of 5 stars The story within the story
I originally picked up this book with low hopes for it being a brilliant book. I thought that the plot would be extremely obvious but as I read it (it took me about a day or two) it surprised me. A truely fantastic book. The main characters in Inkheart are all book lovers and lets just say that the plot esculates from there. Strangers and gangsters turn up in the story...
Published on 17 Dec. 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars The magic fails to ignite
I was really hopeful when I picked up this book. I had heard lots of good things about the story and knew that there was a film adaptation too. But, quite frankly, I was really disappointed with what ‘Inkheart’ had to offer.

Let me get this clear: the concept of the story is truly magical with the idea that Mo can bring characters out of books if he...
Published 13 months ago by Sarah Brown

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical and engaging for all ages!, 31 Jan. 2012
I must say, I picked this up thinking as they were aimed at younger readers they would be a easy and light reading - how wrong I was! Funke writes beautifully which captivates the reader into the world and the adventures of Meggie and her father, Mortimer, who discover when they read aloud the text of on the page comes to life - literally! The secrets which unfold around Meggie make her realise her talent and uncover her past, and the true about her parents. I must admit I was totally captivated by it all and thoroughly enjoyed this - I think it's quite a weighty book too for younger readers especially, but very worth the effort!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripped from start to finish, 21 May 2009
Vixta "vixta" (Aylesbury, Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
I was gripped by this novel from start to finish, in a way that no other children's novel has done since "The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips".
Funke's unique idea of being able to read characters in and out of fiction is truly mind-blowing, and her execution close to perfection. My only quibbles are a couple of stilted passages, where the translation seems a little too literal, but that is hardly Funke's fault. Oh, to be a native German speaker, just this once, to appreciate her novel as it was written.
I am now reading this book to my two children (aged ten and seven) who are spellbound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dare to read this book aloud...for the imaginary will become real!, 17 Mar. 2013
Reminiscent of `The Neverending Story' this is a book that literally comes to life wherein everything that you imagine within your dreams and within treasured stories, is magically brought to life through the page. An inspired, original work of sheer creative vision and genius `Inkheart' is my most cherished book upon the bookshelf as it is something quite special. For those readers who want to be able to `jump into' a story and loose yourself within a thrilling adventure, then this has to be the only exclusive book that I have read which has transported me mind, body and soul into an otherworldly tale.

"Inkheart is a novel for everyone who loves to read, and dares to dream about stories that can come to life in more ways than one..."
- Barry Cunningham, Publisher (Chicken House)

This breathtaking, fast-paced and action packed tale will have you sat on the edge of your seat in suspense throughout as you revel in the joys, pitfalls and sheer terrors of reading. Cleverly crafted and indisputably exceptional this darkly comic, supremely singular story is one that will be forever etched within your memory for years to come. Suspenseful and beguiling I was completely engrossed within Meggie's journey and her father's unending search for that elusive volume...

Mo has the special talent to bring characters out of books. One night he brings out three characters from Inkheart, a story set in medieval times and filled with magical beings; Capricorn and Basta (two villains) and Dustfinger a fire-eater.
Bookbinder Mo is seeking `Inkheart' a very rare book that contains such a terrible secret, which is revealed to his thirteen-year-old daughter Meggie one day when a stranger appears.

This is an adventure of a father and his young daughter, searching for a long lost book that will help reunite Resa (Meggie's mother). A fantasy that takes a darker side whenever we hear Mortimer 'Silvertongue' reading out aloud from books. His ability to rise to life, to export, to release figures out of the page and into the real world is only relevant when the darker side of his stories appear to reek havoc and destruction. Taking sanctuary in Italy with Meggie's aunt Elinor Loredan is perhaps not the best option, as Capricorn will stop at nothing to capture the entire family so as to release a dark and terrifying evil

Containing exquisite illustrations within and beautiful quotes, this is a story within a story (or a book within a book) that is as real as you or I and one that will never be forgotten!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 10 Feb. 2011
realovesbooks (South east London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I am sure I am not the only one that seemed to have Harry Potter withdrawals once I had finished ready the last book. I wasn't sure what I was going to do not having this little bit off magic in my life! I read so many reviews to try and find another book which gave me the same thrill I get when reading Harry Potter and nothing seemed to come close no matter how many books I read. Until a trip down one of the backstreets in Hastings brought me to a little book shop and in the young adults display area there was Inkheart. After reading the synopsis I decided to give this a try.

***PLOT***
Inkheart is the story of 12 year old Meggie and her father Mo who is a book doctor with a gift. Meggie loves her books but unfortunately she has to read alone as Mo will not read aloud to her as the last time he read aloud Meggies mum mysteriously disappeared.
Mo's secret gift soon becomes clear to Meggie, Mo cannot read aloud because if he does something or someone from our world goes into the story he is reading and someone or something from the story comes to our world. This is what had happened the night Meggie's mum had disappeared but in her place are now three characters from the story Capricorn, Dustfinger and Basta.
The story follows the three characters trying to trace Mo for different reasons, Capricorn and Basta who are evil characters want Mo to read the rest of his village out of the book where as Dustfinger just wants to go home. Mo is trying throughout this story to escape him being captured and to protect his daughter.

***Characters***
I loved little Meggie, I think it is because she reminds me of me when I was younger with her passion for books. She clearly loves her father very much. I think any young adults reading his book will have no problem warming to our main character. Her father Mo's character doesn't come to light really until half way through the book. In the beginning of this book he seems a little mysterious but once the story moves on we see his warm nature and see all that matters to him is that his daughter is safe. My favourite character of this book is Dustfinger. Dustfinger has the ability of fire eating so he comes across as a very magical character. He is a good character in this book but he always has number ones best interests at heart. He wants to get home and is willing to do anything to make this happen. Capricorn and Basta are the evil characters of the book and are very much like Voldermort and Wormtail in Harry Potter. Their presence in the book always gives you a chill and has you on the edge of your seat as you are not sure what they will do next.

*** My Opinion***
I loved this book and I can now say I have found a new set of books which keep me gripped in this magical world just like the Harry Potter books. I found that throughout the whole book you are continually wondering what is going to happen next. The book is in no way predictable so I enjoyed the suspense factor. I would defiantly say this is a young adult's book as some places in this book are very dark which I feel would be a little too frightening for younger readers. I could not put this book down and I cannot wait to read the next book as there are three books in the series Inkheart, Inkspell, and Inkdeath. The way the author has written about the Inkheart world makes you feel as if you are part of the story. You seem to know every smell and every touch to this magical world as the way things are described in this book makes feel as if you are falling into this book.I also loved the extra little touch on the start of each chapter of the little drawings.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a magical element to their reading. Harry Potter fans I am sure will love this as it was exactly the kind of book I was looking for. I have also heard that they have made this book into a film which I will have to watch but I am unsure how good the film will be compared to the book as I do not see how they will be able to bring some of the magical parts of Inkheart world across on screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inkheart, 30 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Inkheart (Hardcover)
This book is beautiful! The only problem I have with it is that it had to end! Meggie is the sort of girl that younger readers can relate to and the way the other characters are described from their looks to their habits is so inventive and original that you end up feeling like you have met a whole host of new people by the end of the book. The story line is far fetched but fantastic, being set in modern day, but using characters from another place creates a charasmatic combination! So in short if you are eleven years or plus i recommend you read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inkheart, 25 Aug. 2005
By A Customer
Inkheart is about a girl called Meggie who finds a stranger knocking at her door in the middle of the night, one day. Her Dad, Mo seems to know this strange man from long ago, and they bring a warning with causes them to flee to an aunt Meggie has never heard of. The story carrys on from here with a secret and a very important book, dangerous traps and feirce enemies. This book is well worth reading, and you'll soon find you can't put it down! The first in a trilogy, soon to be followed by Inkspell, well worth reading. I can't wait to read the second book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bad beginning, excellent ending., 23 Feb. 2008
S. yoon "Borim Yoon" (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
I've heard of 'Inkheart' from my friends many times and decideded to try it.
It was very disappointing in the first 200 or so pages.
I thought that perhaps, this was a book for younger children.
When it spoke of Capricorn and his men (the villains of the story)
it wasn't scary at all! And that's a wonder because usually I get too
carried-in with books that I like.

However, in the last 150 pages or so, it made a drastic change,
which made me read on without stopping.

Overall, I reccomend this book to children around Meggie's agee: 11-12

4.0 out of 5 stars Literary adventure, 7 Sept. 2007
Mikko Saari (Tampere, Finland) - See all my reviews
Have you ever wanted to have your favourite characters from your favourite books alive in our world? In Inkheart, that's exactly what happens when Mo reads aloud from books: he makes things appear from the books, while other things in our world get sucked in the books. Years ago, Mo read the evil Capricorn and his henchmen out of the book Inkheart, while his wife got trapped in the book.

Now, Capricorn comes back, looking for Mo and his 12-year old daughter Meggie and the one copy of Inkheart they possess. They must flee the evil mastermind, who wants to find Mo so he could read things for Capricorn. It's a start of a dangerous adventure! Meggie, who is the charming main character of the story, must use her wits and the support from her friends to triumph over the evil forces.

Inkheart is a lovely story that will please anybody who has a passion for books and stories. The book seems written for young adults, but it's certainly dark and dramatic enough for grown-ups as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting reading, 11 May 2011
Inkheart is a great first book in the Inkheart series, the plot of magically reading characters out of books is a wonderfully inventive idea for a fantasy novel and the author writes it in a way that enchants you as a reader. Along with suspense and magic, the story also gives a passionate accolade to the written word. Bringing books to life before your very eyes.

I highly recommend with for young adults and fans of fantasy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book for book lovers, 8 Oct. 2004
Timbertwig (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Inkheart is a book about book lovers written for book lovers. The central characters, Meggie, Mo, and Elinor live and breathe books. Bookworms like me will find themselves in good company and will relate to the way every aspect of these characters' lives are influenced by their love of books. Meggie turns to fairy tales for comfort when feeling sad or anxious; her father Mo makes a living as a "book doctor" who repairs and reconditions books; and aunt Elinor relies on books for companionship and treat them like the children she never had.
Spanning over 500 pages, Inkheart is lengthy for a children's book. But the entertaining plot unfolds in a mesmerizing way and you will find yourself turning the pages well into the night. The premise is delightful: Meggie and Mo can read characters out of books into our world and vice versa. This ability, however, comes with a price as it can be unpredictable.
Each chapter is introduced with a quote from a well known children's book and readers will enjoy recognising these quotes and remembering the first time they read them. Within the story itself, the characters make constant references to classic children's books as they liken the situations they are in with the adventures of famous characters such as Peter Pan and Aladdin. (A few, such as the Tin Solider and Tinker Bell, even make appearances in the book.) I particularly like Elinor's reference to The Lord of the Rings, which she describes as "the hairy-footed people's quest".
Inkheart is not without its shortcomings. The "original" characters often seem more like cardboard cut-outs than the storybook characters that they read about. Mo is a passive, two-dimensional character while Meggie can be feisty one minute and helpless the next. I also had problems distinguishing between the villains: Capricorn and his right-hand man, Basta, could have been one and the same character.
But these are minor flaws. By the time you get to the expected but well executed happy ending, you will find yourself eagerly awaiting the sequel.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

Inkheart (Inkheart Trilogy)
Inkheart (Inkheart Trilogy) by Cornelia Funke (Hardcover - Oct. 2003)
Used & New from: £0.77