on 11 September 2004
I loved this book. It was so cool in bringing together all the characters from the other two books, plus some great new ones. You get to find out what happens to the earlier characters of Kherron, Rialle, Renn and Shaiala, which was great. This book had me hooked. I just couldn't put it down, and I couldn't stop thinking about it either. I admit the main reason was because I wanted to find out what happened to the earlier characters, especially Kherron, my favourite character, but also beacuse the action and excitement of the book was breath taking. The storyline was fascinating, with a lot of complex ideas thrown in, which only adds to the excitement. The way the writer brings it all together is full of pure, amazing imagination, which fills the whole series, making it one of the best series I've ever read. The echorium is in danger once again from the old enemy, and it's up to the singers, with lots of help from their friends, to stop the evil of the dark crystal spreading. The series has been amazing, and I think everyone should give it a try, young or old (and i'm 20!) you'll love it. The first one is song quest and then crystal mask. READ IT!
on 10 August 2015
I love these books, I really do - its so nice when you come across not just one, but a trilogy of books that are a gripping read - and best of all available now, with no wait for the next one, so you can devour them one after the other! I so nearly didn't read them, and approached the first Echorium book, Song Quest with a degree of reservation, but within the first few pages was hooked. The second in the trilogy, Crystal Mask takes you twenty odd years on from the first book: Roberts is not afraid to age her characters, to introduce new ones and to administer the coup de grace to a few old favourites. This, the third book takes us on in time yet again, reunites us with old friends and once more introduces some new ones. I think the titles are seriously wrong as far as making you want to pick up and read them, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the content - once you get started they are very, very hard to put down. What's more, as many adults as children and teens are likely to enjoy this sequence. Go buy!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 April 2015
It is disappointing that this trilogy has attracted to little attention. I found it original, exciting to read, and extremely well written.

As one reviewer says, the final book in the trilogy is not the best but I found it interesting and a good follow on to the previous books.

Taking the set as a whole I think of it as one of the best young teen adventure trilogies and nearly as good as the Mortal Engines series.
on 12 May 2014
Loved this when it first came out - glad to have it again for my kindle! Unusual and innovative fantasy.
on 31 May 2004
When I read the first 2 books of this series, I was surprised at how good they were. They weren't the best books ever but were quite entertaining.
I bought this book soon after I came out and was a little surprised that they'd changed the cover style, the first 2 were so cool, but obviously the cover's not omportant if the books good.
This book was very weak compared to the other two. True, it finished off the story but it wasn't nearly as gripping or interesting and seemed quite slow. You get to see Rialle again, and a few other old characters but that only made it seem worse.
It was a good enough read to conclude the others, but could have been so much better.