5.0 out of 5 stars Another tour de force from Louis Sachar!
I picked up a copy of Dogs Don't Tell Jokes in my local bookshop and sat on the floor reading it. I started laughing at the jokes and got a few odd glances from other customers. Months later, I bought the book. I still giggle out loud at some of the quips.
Published on 5 May 2003 by moonraker15

3.0 out of 5 stars very funny
This book was very good because it made you laugh so much. The jokes were absolutely amazing, you almost wet your pants!
Published 12 months ago by Sam smith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another tour de force from Louis Sachar!, 5 May 2003
This review is from: Dogs Don't Tell Jokes (Paperback)
Gary W. Boone ("My friends call me Goon") is an aspiring stand up comedian, but everyone is fed up with his never-ending stream of jokes, most of which aren't very funny. Everyone, that is, except his best friend, Angeline Persopolis, his old teacher Miss Turbone (Mr. Bone) and their hat-wearing croquet-playing friends. When the school holds a talent contest, Gary is determined to win...but will fate be against him?
I won't give away any more of the plot, but this is a really good, humorous and realistic book, especially in the parts where Gary tries hard to fit in with the other kids. Anybody who's been a class misfit(like me) will understand how hard it is. Then there's the jokes...and that brilliant surprise ending...
anyone who fell in love with Louis Sachar's style in Holes will love this, but I reccomend it to anyone who can read.
And why did the guy eat a dead skunk for breakfast?
You'll have to read it to find out....

4.0 out of 5 stars "This is a pretty funny book," says Efrem., 10 May 1999
This review is from: Dogs Don't Tell Jokes (Paperback)
Dogs Don't Tell Jokes is a good book. It is about a kid named Gary W. Boone he is not popular at all. Then he joins the talent show, because he thinks he will get more popular if he wins. I'm not going to tell you if he wins. It's for you to find out. If you want a funny book, get Dogs Don't Tell Jokes. Efrem - 5th grade

5.0 out of 5 stars A tale of a lost boy in a world that doesn't understand him, 28 April 1998
This review is from: Dogs Don't Tell Jokes (Paperback)
Gary Boone is a boy in middle school. He is kind of odd. He always makes jokes. That's all he ever does - make jokes. He thinks his jokes are hilarious, but no one else does. A school talent show comes up, and he decides to sign up as a comedian. So he does, and is ridiculed by his calssmates. Will he ever be accepted? This is a classic tale of a lost boy confused at what life is about. This is a great and funny book for children ages 7 to 11.

4.0 out of 5 stars a funny but clever book, 17 Oct 2003
Stephen Dorsett (Isle of Sheppey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dogs Don't Tell Jokes (Paperback)
Dogs don't Tell Jokes is a very funny book that got me in fits with the jokes. I found them funny even though they are supposed to be very boring in the book.I thought it was very catching the way Louis Sachar added a few catches in the book. I loved the way he made it sound as if nobody thought he was funny. I don't recommend small children to read it because there are a few bits that are not suitable for undre 10's. Above the age of 10 would understand and enjoy the book alot more, and overall, i liked the book alot. It was completely different to Holes and The Boy Who Lost His Face!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable!, 9 Jun 1998
This review is from: Dogs Don't Tell Jokes (Paperback)
Gary Boone is a boy in middle school that makes a joke out of everything. After a while, though, you want to tell him to get serious for a change. I thought the story was humorous, but not as good as some of Sachar's other books. I wasn't disappointed by it, but felt it was a little overdone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not funny but interesting, 19 Dec 2009
Posted on behalf of my student, Moniera (age 11):

I don't really like reading books, but one day my English teacher asked me to read the book "Dog Don't Tell Jokes"!

I think that the title of the book wasn't suitable with the whole story. Everyone says the book is funny, but for me none of the jokes made sense.

There was another little problem: that the idioms and puns in the story were a bit hard to understand sometimes.

After reading half the book, I realised that Gary's character was hard to figure out. A part of him was weird, lonely and annoying. It wasn't easy to sympathise with him, but I felt sorry for him at the end, that he didn't know how to make friends. For me, that was was the reason the book was interesting, and I really wanted to see what happened at the the end. I felt a bit disappointed when I got to the end because I thought something more spectacular would happen.

Read the book for yourself and figure out what happens!

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 11 Jun 2014
this book was recommend to me but I read it and I was disappointed.I found it a bit depressing and uninspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars SACHAR RULES!!!!
king kong
, 15 April 2014
Best book ever i loved it and also loved all Louis Sachars other books : ) i bought this for my son who is reading it for the 1000000000th time! LOL

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed the book, it was great fun to read!, 17 Dec 2013
I really enjoyed the book as it had quite a sad plot because he had no friends and embarrassed himself at school. Then it got better when he became good at catching and made friends with Joe Reed.

The best bit was when he started telling amazing jokes and won the talent show.

Comment:
A great read with a brilliant ending!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 18 Nov 2013
I love this book it is perfect to any budding comedians and is packed with funny jokes which made me laugh a lot

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Louis Sachar
Louis Sachar by Dogs Don't Tell Jokes Edition: Reprint (Paperback - 1997)
Used & New from: 0.20