5.0 out of 5 stars A bad influence?, 7 Jan 2012
This review is from: David Gets in Trouble (Paperback)
Yes - but admit it - we all love a bad influence once in awhile :)

We first read about David in David Shannon's award winning book "No David" roughly 5 years ago. This book was so well loved I just had to get the next one "David Get's in Trouble". The first book has a monologue by David's Mother which primarily consists of the word "No" with a few variations. This book tells David's side of the story, but once again David is in trouble from the word go --- or should I say no?

This book begins with a crude childlike drawing of David with small eyes, sharp teeth and a halo over head and text telling us what David says when he gets in trouble. Now David is really not a bad a child, at least not in my opinion - but trouble is his constant companion. It all begins with a quick trip on his skateboard across the front room - and naturally a few accidents along the way. Most of David's trouble is accidental - or just forgetfulness - he even forgets to put his trousers on before school one day. The one truly naughty event is when he pulls the poor cats tail saying "But she likes it"! The illustration makes quite clear that the cat most certainly does not enjoy this treatment, and I made a point of telling my children - we don't really pull animals tails because it would hurt them. But for the most part the book shows the types of problems most children get into - making messes, saying bad words, and not wanting to eat what Mom has cooked for tea.

The text is also very simple. except for the first page - which has two lines each page has only one very simple sentence written in large black crayon letters. My children have both had this memorised by the age of two and can point out the words as they "read" the book along with me. Of course the oldest really can read it now, but this book was great book to get them starting with reading. I think this book is perfect to encourage young children to start reading. Best of all though, this book will convince any child that reading is fun. It's the perfect book to encourage the most reluctant reader, or just to share with your little one at story time.
I recommend this for ages 1 -7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud!, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: David Gets In Trouble (Hardcover)
I discovered this book in the library and laughed all the way to the end. Despite the book 'first impression illustrations' (that the book is aimed at early readers), I shared it with year 3/4/5 children and they loved it. The story prompted a discussion re thoughts and feelings 'when we get into trouble,' which concluded in reflective acceptance that children 'gradually learn from their mistakes'. I had to buy my own copy and look forward to reading more of the David series...

5.0 out of 5 stars Rating books, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: David Gets in Trouble (Paperback)
Did not realise they were in different language apart from that they are in very good condition will have to look at pictures to tell the story

David Gets in Trouble
David Gets in Trouble by David Shannon (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2002)
Used & New from: £0.65