Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 January 1999
My son is a typical 8 year old boy. Passing gas is the hit of his life. Up with recess! Down with studies! How can you get through to a kid like this? Let alone get him to want to read?
ANSWER: Buy and read THE ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS!!!!! Just with that name and the cover picture alone, I knew he would be interested. But I never expected him to read it COVER TO COVER, BY HIMSELF, THREE TIMES, IN THE FIRST SITTING!!!!
I took this book with me to my son's gymnastics team practice to praise it up and down to the parents of the boys on his team (quite a few were reluctant readers too). Some parents raised an eyebrow, but as the book made the rounds, and even the toughest to please kid shouted, "GET ME THIS BOOK!!" all the parents were convinced.
My son is now an excellent reader who has moved on to great books, but he returns to Captain Underpants regularly, and I still hear him giggling to his friends, "HAVE I GOT A BOOK FOR YOU!!"
on 26 April 2000
An epic novel that's about two boys who order a hypno-ring and hypnotize the headmaster. It doesn't go down very well.The headmaster turns into captain underpants-The hero of a lifetime.He flies through the town until the worlds biggest gem is stolen. I would recommend this book for 7-9 year olds.
on 3 January 1999
This book is the best kind of silly. It moves at a good pace, the pictures are enough to keep a kindergartner interested and the text is "advanced" enough for my second grader to read with a bit of a challenge. We have read it several times, most recently in one sitting, and laugh and laugh all the way to the end. Mr. Pilkey has a writing style that is fast-paced, exciting, and enjoyable. We are becoming fans, having reading a "Dragon" book and now "Capt. Underpants," we are ordering a few more of his titles. Enjoy, we certainly have!
on 29 August 1999
I think that Captin Underpants's weggie power is pretty funny! I can't wait to read Captin Underpants and the attack of the Talking Toilets! I'm ordering it right away!
VINE VOICEon 27 November 2003
The first in a series of epic novels for tykes. Readers may identify with the characters in this novel. As with the concepts in Mad Magazine, there are some diversions to add interest, such as “FLIP-O-RAMA.” The book even contains a warning from the “Sturgeon General.”
Stephen King started out writing a comic book at school. Evidently a similar action lead to the origins of the great red caped slightly clad hero.
This book reveals the origins of “Captain Underpants” whose true identity is so secret “that even HE does not know who he is.”
TRA-LA-LAAAAAAAAAAA!
on 17 March 1998
The first time my five year old son and my three year old daughter read this, we could not put it down! This is the first chapter book that we read together and still read about once a month.
I find it amazing that the author has been able to capture and maintain the attention of my young children. We have also been enjoying shooting underwear at each other, especially in those tense times where we could use a little laughter!
My son says, "I like the part where he said 'I will have to resort to WEDGIE POWER!' "
My daughter says, " I like Dr. Diaper . . . he's pretty funny!"
on 19 November 1997
My son has been running around in a cape since *before* he graduated from diapers to (superhero) underpants, so I picked this book based solely upon the title, and the fact that the hero wore a cape.
This book (I now see) is for 9-12 year-old readers. My son is 5. But we read it straight through (all 122 pages!), and we laughed and laughed! The silly antics of George and Harold, and especially the Amazing Captain Underpants (Tra La Laaaaaa!) made me feel like a fourth-grader again. What better comment on a book than it allowed me to hear my 5-year-old giggle?
on 20 May 1998
George and Harol's principal, Mr. Krupp, hates them and their pranks (inflating the team's football with helium, peppering the pom-poms, filling the parade's trumpets with bubbles, and making up their own silly comics - Captain Underpants). When Mr. Krupp catches the boys on videotape doing their things, they're busted. Either George and Harold have to clean and work for Mr. Krupp or Mr. Krupp will show the video to the football team. So George and Harold choose to work and clean for Mr. Krupp. When George and Harold think their lives are over, their prayers are answered. George orders a Hypno-ring. One day George and Harold are late for cleaning and Mr. Krupp is furious. So George and Harold pull out the ring and hypnotize him. Soon they're snapping their fingers and turning him into a monkey, chicken and a cow. Then George has a good idea - he turns Mr. Krupp into Captain Underpants. Soon Captain Underpants is jumping all over town fighting crime. I give the book two thumbs up!
on 20 December 2013
Too expensive for what it is. My son finished it in twenty minutes so it really is not worth spending £3 on
on 2 February 1999
This is one of the funniest books that I have read. My favorite part is when Captain Underpants jumps out the window then he goes to the bank to stop the robots and when he gets there he said to Dr.Diaper's robots "Stop in the name of underpants" and the big chase happens. The two robots get in the get-away car. But captain underpants cape( known as the window shade in Mr.Kummps office) gets stuck in the door and the two robots start to drive off. Now Harold and George get on their skateboards and go skating off after them. My suggestion is to read the book. It's very funny. Oh, and don't forget to read the second one Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets. Happy reading!