Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 August 2013
I had only read one Captain Underpants book so far, and that was the latest one, #10. No need to add yet another review to the hundreds out there of this first one, so just giving my brief observations as a newcomer. Starting back at the beginning with the first book is fun to see how George and Harold turned their nasty, mean principal into the fun-loving superhero. This book has one flip-o-rama section and one comic book section, making the rest of the book illustrated text. It actually had a lot more text than I had expected. A fun story to start the series off with but not exactly hilarious. I much preferred book 10 than #1, good to see the series got better as it went along!
on 17 January 1998
My daughter loved this book and it is the first chapter book she has ever been able to sit through. We read it together in one afternoon while she waited for a friend who was late, and she was delighted and eager to listen the entire time. She just turned 8 and has ADD and learning disabilities. This very silly and easy to understand story is just what she needs to encourage her listening and comprehension skills! It's not classic literature, but it's honestly funny, and not offensive, and genuinely clever in its illustrations. Only the most humorless parent will not enjoy reading it with their kids. You get to say some pretty funny stuff!
on 18 March 2009
Captain underpants is a fantastic book. George and Harold get a three D hypno ring and hipnotise Head teacher into Captain underpants.He can fly and also he can fight monsters. George and Harold are very naughty and they are best freinds there are lots of books in the series and they are very funny.

Get started and read them. They have fanstic pictures By Dav pilkey.
on 28 April 2014
Got this as an experiment as rather advanced for a 4/5 year old + contains very 'American' terms/bits that need explaining. However child is delighted with this heavily censored book (in the USA) - its contents are certainly not something to be concerned about (according to his parents or us) . After numerous, repeated bedtime reads - he has now requested more of the series - we are in the process of supplying as there are a lot of them!

My 60+ wife always has hysterics whenever she looks @ one
on 21 January 1999
I just finished reading this to my 3 sons, ages 4, 6, and 8 and the four of us couldn't stop laughing. It's a wonderfully silly story. Even the flip pages were really well done. (I expected them to be lame.) As soon as the boys heard that there was another adventure of Captain Underpants on the way, I was entreated to get it. Definitely. I bought this book because the title was different and because we've read all of the Dragon books and Hallo-weiner and loved them all. We were NOT disappointed.
on 24 March 1998
I am a fourth grade teacher and used this book as a read aloud book for after lunch. The book was an instant success. Whenever I finished a chapter, they would beg me to please read another. I also had to create a lottery system so they could borrow it and take it home. I was able to get them to do some writing activities out of this book, which they usually hate to do. I highly recommend this book to all middle grade teachers or if you just have a child between 8-10. This book is a gas!
on 19 April 2014
My mum and dad came to visit and my not very verbal 6 year old read his favourite bit out loud (twice). It is the fake doggy doo-doo joke. When my husband read this bit at bedtime I had to go and find out what was causing the hilarious and wicked laughter. My son and daughter were just completely delighted. Since that bit my son is gradually reading the whole series, we are on book 6, and he is reading independently for the first time. Thanks Dav you are an absolute star!
on 6 September 2015
The Adventures of Captain Underpants is a book about a superhero who flys around in his underwear shouting 'Tra la laaaa'. Captain Underpants
was created when two boys (George Beard and Harold Hutchins) hypnotised their headteacher (Mr Krupp) to make him think he was Captain Underpants. In this book George and Harold follow him trying to stop him from doing something stupid.

Overall I think this book is good for anybody who wants to read a funny book.
on 29 December 1998
It's about a principal who is hypnotized by two boys in the fourth grade. First they turn him in to a chicken, then they turn him in to a monkey, then they turn him in to Captain Underpants. Then he runs away. They find him in front of a bank. Then two robbers run out the door. Captain Underpants says, "stop in the name of underpants!" I really liked this book. It was very funny. I would reccomended this book for five (years old) and up.
on 19 December 2012
My son is does not particularly like to read, and therefore trying to get him to read is difficult - very little catches his imagination - he loved this book, yes it's a bit silly and the humour is on the silly side - but he loved to read it, no nagging - he actually used to bring it to me to read with him which he had rarely done before.
Recommended for 7-10 - particularly boys - just be warned of the overall sillyness.