5.0 out of 5 stars ATTENTION PARENTS OF RELUCTANT READERS!!!!:
My son is a typical 8 year old boy. Passing gas is the hit of his life. Up with recess! Down with studies! How can you get through to a kid like this? Let alone get him to want to read?
Published on 29 Jan. 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth purchasing, my son finished it in 20 mins.
Too expensive for what it is. My son finished it in twenty minutes so it really is not worth spending £3 on
Published 13 months ago by Margaret Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars ATTENTION PARENTS OF RELUCTANT READERS!!!!:, 29 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
ANSWER: Buy and read THE ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS!!!!! Just with that name and the cover picture alone, I knew he would be interested. But I never expected him to read it COVER TO COVER, BY HIMSELF, THREE TIMES, IN THE FIRST SITTING!!!!
I took this book with me to my son's gymnastics team practice to praise it up and down to the parents of the boys on his team (quite a few were reluctant readers too). Some parents raised an eyebrow, but as the book made the rounds, and even the toughest to please kid shouted, "GET ME THIS BOOK!!" all the parents were convinced.
My son is now an excellent reader who has moved on to great books, but he returns to Captain Underpants regularly, and I still hear him giggling to his friends, "HAVE I GOT A BOOK FOR YOU!!"

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book - you never know what will happen next, 26 April 2000
By A Customer
An epic novel that's about two boys who order a hypno-ring and hypnotize the headmaster. It doesn't go down very well.The headmaster turns into captain underpants-The hero of a lifetime.He flies through the town until the worlds biggest gem is stolen. I would recommend this book for 7-9 year olds.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book Mom doesn't mind reading with the kids, Tra-la-laaa!, 3 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
This book is the best kind of silly. It moves at a good pace, the pictures are enough to keep a kindergartner interested and the text is "advanced" enough for my second grader to read with a bit of a challenge. We have read it several times, most recently in one sitting, and laugh and laugh all the way to the end. Mr. Pilkey has a writing style that is fast-paced, exciting, and enjoyable. We are becoming fans, having reading a "Dragon" book and now "Capt. Underpants," we are ordering a few more of his titles. Enjoy, we certainly have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Y3 book reveiw MS, 18 Mar. 2009
This review is from: The Adventures of Captain Underpants (Paperback)
Captain underpants is a fantastic book. George and Harold get a three D hypno ring and hipnotise Head teacher into Captain underpants.He can fly and also he can fight monsters. George and Harold are very naughty and they are best freinds there are lots of books in the series and they are very funny.

Get started and read them. They have fanstic pictures By Dav pilkey.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't stop laughing and nither could my mom!, 29 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
I think that Captin Underpants's weggie power is pretty funny! I can't wait to read Captin Underpants and the attack of the Talking Toilets! I'm ordering it right away!

5.0 out of 5 stars From the author of Kat Kong, 27 Nov. 2003
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The first in a series of epic novels for tykes. Readers may identify with the characters in this novel. As with the concepts in Mad Magazine, there are some diversions to add interest, such as “FLIP-O-RAMA.” The book even contains a warning from the “Sturgeon General.”
Stephen King started out writing a comic book at school. Evidently a similar action lead to the origins of the great red caped slightly clad hero.
This book reveals the origins of “Captain Underpants” whose true identity is so secret “that even HE does not know who he is.”
TRA-LA-LAAAAAAAAAAA!

5.0 out of 5 stars Contagiously Funny!, 17 Mar. 1998
By A Customer
The first time my five year old son and my three year old daughter read this, we could not put it down! This is the first chapter book that we read together and still read about once a month.
I find it amazing that the author has been able to capture and maintain the attention of my young children. We have also been enjoying shooting underwear at each other, especially in those tense times where we could use a little laughter!
My son says, "I like the part where he said 'I will have to resort to WEDGIE POWER!' "
My daughter says, " I like Dr. Diaper . . . he's pretty funny!"

5.0 out of 5 stars We loved it!, 19 Nov. 1997
By A Customer
My son has been running around in a cape since *before* he graduated from diapers to (superhero) underpants, so I picked this book based solely upon the title, and the fact that the hero wore a cape.
This book (I now see) is for 9-12 year-old readers. My son is 5. But we read it straight through (all 122 pages!), and we laughed and laughed! The silly antics of George and Harold, and especially the Amazing Captain Underpants (Tra La Laaaaaa!) made me feel like a fourth-grader again. What better comment on a book than it allowed me to hear my 5-year-old giggle?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superhero For The 21st Century, 23 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Adventures of Captain Underpants (Paperback)
I have just read this chapter book out loud to my five-year-old son, though its reading age is really 8+ years. It is illustrated with big, bold pictures and graphics on every page, including lots of "Kar-Boom!" and other sound effect words; it has a section written like a classic old-style comic book ("Look! Up in the sky!" type of thing); and it has a short flip-a-rama section, though I couldn't get that to work successfully. It's very originally presented. My son loved it.

Two naughty schoolboys create a comic book called "Captain Underpants" while ducking the attentions of their stern headmaster. (He has a sign saying "Kneel Here" on the front of his desk.) After being given a lifetime of detention, they order a hypnosis gizmo through mail order, and hypnotize their headmaster into believing that he is actually Captain Underpants. While he runs around town in a red curtain and his underwear, misguidedly trying to fight crime, the trio accidentally stumble on the world-domination schemes of Dr Nappy and his robots. Only slingshots, skateboards, plastic dog poo, and the trio's ingenuity can save civilisation now.......!!!

My son roared with laughter during every chapter. I'm just starting him on chapter books, and because this relies so much on visual imagery as well as text, it's a good bridge between picture books and chapter books.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have to buy another copy because we wore ours out!, 28 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
I wrote a review a year ago about this captivating book. My children, now six and four, still enjoy this favorite book so much that I need to replace our first copy because it is falling apart from our many readings. My husband came home one evening being ambushed by flying underwear (clean) and joined in the fun and laughter. Thank you Dav Pilkey for letting us enjoy your book and many days of flying underwear! Here's to Wedgie Power!

The Adventures of Captain Underpants
The Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey (Paperback - 2 July 2013)