on 6 December 2002
When I read the Harry Potter series I thought WOW no one writes books like these nowadays, I couldn't have been more wrong 'The Tiger in the Well' blew me away! Philip Pullman created a masterpiece and if you don't fall in love with this book, you're probably a highly chauvanistic male.
Sally Lockhart is a strong female character with guts and spirit, she's certainly not a typical woman of the 1880's. She has to prove herself in a male dominated society, where women have little legal rights and boy does she do that! You have to admire this girl's strength and determination. She's a great role model. What made Sally such a great character is that she is so refreshing after reading innumerable books with strong central male characters.
I thought 'The Ruby in the Smoke' was sensational and 'The Shadow in the North' was a real tear jerker towards the end. But this book beats them both even without Jim (for the most part) and Fred. We really do see Sally at her best. Well done Pullman!
If you're going to buy one book this Christmas make it this one and forget about Harry Potter because he has nothing on this girl!
on 27 October 2001
This is a fantastic follow-up to the previous two Sally Lockhart books, and the best of the three (I'm excluding the Tin Princess because Sally is hardly in it). Philip Pullman again shows us that he can write a childrens' book that is also perfect for adults... and in a truly adult way, as opposed to the childhood nostalgia that Harry Potter can evoke.
During the first part of the adventure, Sally falls very far indeed, losing almost everything she values, as her enemies twist the legal and social system of Victorian England against her. You end up really feeling outrage and anger on Sally's behalf, especially if you know her from the previous books.
As you read, you know there'll be a fight-back, but (if you've read his other books) you'll also know that this author doesn't always deliver a happy ending, or even characters who live to the last page. So, you're left on the edge of your seat, wondering what's going to happen...
The only criticism I'd level is that the mysterious identity of the villain is all too obvious (especially if you've read the other books), and Sally's inability to spot it is therefore frustrating. But even that doesn't take away from the excitement and tension that keeps you turning the pages to find out what happens next...
on 25 March 2006
Sally's world is perfect- she has a daughter, great friends and a lovely home, until she receives a letter which turns her world upside down. A man she has never met before claims they are married, and is asking for custody of her beloved Harriet (her daughter). An excellent story about Sally's battle with this unknown demon, trying to find out why anoyone would want to make up lies about her, but also trying to desperately protect her daughter. I recommend it to teenagers/adults, and suggest reading the previous books to truly understand the story.
I found that I couldn't put the book down- it was very well written, and had the beautifully vivid writing that was shown in the previous books.
The only problem was the abrupt ending- I found Philip Pullman skipped time a bit, and didn't go in to too much detail, which made the ending appear a bit rushed.
on 18 June 2000
The tiger in the well is a truly gripping story, i could not put it down! The characters are lively and believable, I especially liked Harriet. It is an amazing book and I urge people to read it. 1st and 2nd in the series The Ruby in the Smoke & The Shadow in the North.
on 17 August 2003
In Trilogys the third book is usually the worst but Pullman manages to turn that upside down.
This is the final book in the fantastic Sally Lockhart trilogy,the plot grips you and keeps you guessing what will happen up to the final page.All the characters are well written and it's easy to get caught up in this whirlwind adventure a brilliant end to a brilliant trilogy with enough twists to keep you on the edge of your seat. It contains all the mystery of The Ruby In The Smoke and all the suspense of The Shadow In The North it has everything you would expect in a Pullman book, a must have on all bookshelves.
Don't worry if you are a fan of the Sally Lockhart trilogy there is a spin off book from them containing afew familiar characters and afew new ones The Tin Princess is the final mystery to solve just as good as this book.
on 11 August 2001
Of all the P Pullman books (His Dark Materials, the other Sally Lockhart books), this is the one I have enjoyed the most. It is very tightly plotted, the twists and turns making the book totally un-put-downable. At another level there is a lot of psychological depth - in facing her enemy, in seeing him as a human being (pitying him, trying to save his life), Sally is also facing her Shadow. As part of her awakening she looks more closely at her own actions, at things she had taken for granted or chosen not to see, and as a result understands the true purpose of her life, and how she must transform it. Jung would have been proud of you Philip!
on 18 March 2001
I thought that The Ruby In The Smoke and The Shadow In The North were great books but then i read this one and this is definetly the best... Daniel Goldberg is also a great character. Sally is a brave and very modern woman. She does what she wants and is not a typical victorian woman. Philip Pullman has an extroadinary gift that kep you reading right to the very last word. I was a little confused when i got to the end but reading it again made it all clear.
I read the Shadow In the north first then the ruby in the smoke and finally this. Probably not the best way to read them but i enjoyed them all the same A must read for all pullman fans
on 2 June 2004
I often find it hard to get started in Pullman's novels and this was no exception. However once hooked I could not put it down. I loved how it tied in lots of detail from the previous two stories. I loved how lots of seemigly unrelated stories all came together. I was dying for characters to get together and pool their knowledge to solve all poor Sally's problems.
It kept me quiet for a couple of days anyway!
on 19 November 2003
Sally is a strong woman in a time of male dominance. At first this seems impossible but there must have been women like her to reach the levels of equality we have today.
Although the 3rd book in the series don't be put off, it stands on its own. Although Pullman is often cited as a childrens writer, he winds a good and believable story, developing the characters and situations to a level where you can actually see them. Good verses evil? Yes but not that black and white. The finale is almost too much. Read and enjoy!
on 24 October 2000
Before I read this, I hadn't read any books by Phillip Pullman before, but I am certain that I will be reading many more in the future! I thought that it was extremely well written and couldn't put it down! I'd encourage everyone who hasn't yet read it to do so, a.s.a.p! :)