5.0 out of 5 stars Ripping, gripping stuff
This is a fantastic follow-up to the previous two Sally Lockhart books, and the best of the three (I'm excluding the Tin Princess because Sally is hardly in it). Philip Pullman again shows us that he can write a childrens' book that is also perfect for adults... and in a truly adult way, as opposed to the childhood nostalgia that Harry Potter can evoke.
During the...
Published on 27 Oct 2001 by HLT

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not the best of the four
It is 1881 in Victorian London and Sally Lockhart is faced with solving a mystery that could cost her the one thing most dear to her: her own child. On her doorstep is a man with a piece of paper telling her that a man she has never met is petitioning her for divorce for her cruelty and immoral behaviour. With her business partners Jim Taylor and Webster Garland away on...
Published 15 months ago by Jo Bennie

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST!!, 8 May 2001
funkyflowerz15@aol.com (Leeds... West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tiger in the Well (Point) (Paperback)
This book was sooooooooooooooo good! I couldn't put it down! I'd read the first 2 in the series and thought that they were good but this tops them both! Don't be discouraged from ready this because Fred isn't in it! I was tempted not to but i'm glad I did!! Sally is a great character, she's so independent, which was unusual for women in those days! I urge you to read this book! You won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE DAN!, 17 Sep 2000
This review is from: The Tiger in the Well (Point) (Paperback)
This is definetely the best book in the series. When I started reading it I thought it wouldn't be as good without Fred but then Dan Goldberg came in and he filled the place perfectly. I never thought it was possible to actually feel emotional about a book or a character in it untill now. This book made me physically laugh and cry, and i loved the bit at the end when Jim came back and became like the hero of the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars strong characters, gripping plot, well worth a read, 24 April 1999
This review is from: The Tiger in the Well (Point) (Paperback)
Having read the first two in this series, the villian's identity might be expected, but again the lead characters are strong and you know Sally will fight against her enemies all the way to the bitter end. It was nice to have a new romantic interest having killed off Sally's lover in the last book; also knowing that these heroes can die makes the outcome more uncertain and the plot more gripping as a result.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Philip Pullman book I have read, 11 Aug 2001
This review is from: The Tiger in the Well (Point) (Paperback)
Of all the P Pullman books (His Dark Materials, the other Sally Lockhart books), this is the one I have enjoyed the most. It is very tightly plotted, the twists and turns making the book totally un-put-downable. At another level there is a lot of psychological depth - in facing her enemy, in seeing him as a human being (pitying him, trying to save his life), Sally is also facing her Shadow. As part of her awakening she looks more closely at her own actions, at things she had taken for granted or chosen not to see, and as a result understands the true purpose of her life, and how she must transform it. Jung would have been proud of you Philip!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as usual, 2 Jun 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Tiger in the Well (Paperback)
I often find it hard to get started in Pullman's novels and this was no exception. However once hooked I could not put it down. I loved how it tied in lots of detail from the previous two stories. I loved how lots of seemigly unrelated stories all came together. I was dying for characters to get together and pool their knowledge to solve all poor Sally's problems.
It kept me quiet for a couple of days anyway!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fabulous!!! One of the best books I've ever read!, 2 Jun 2001
This review is from: The Tiger in the Well (Point) (Paperback)
I've read Philip Pullman's Northern Lights and Subtle Knife, but Tiger in the Well tops them all! I love Sally's character coz she's so strong and I ADORE Goldberg's coz he is so dashing, tough and cool. I soooooo suggest that everyone reads this book, it is one of the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars it just gets better and better!, 27 Aug 2000
This review is from: The Tiger in the Well (Point) (Paperback)
I thought that this was the best of the trilogy even though Fred wasn't in it. I think this series was as good as Pullman's Dark Materials because it is so different. I like the way he shows the main character, Sally, as a strong female in a hard time for women. Great, exciting plot. Couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philip Pullman has yet again managed to out-do himself, 6 Oct 2000
By A Customer
The third book in this stunning quartet was just as briiliant and impossible to put down as the first two, if not more so. After the death of the courageous Frederick in "The Shadow in the North" we are introduced to Dan Goldberg who becomes quite a central character. He is a socialist politician who helps Sally to win back her daughter, money and freedom. Sally is reintroduced to an old enemy who is determined to make her suffer at all costs. There are still the old favourites such as Jim and webster as well. Philip Pullman has managed to keep the feeling of anticipation going all the way through and it is thoroughly exciting. This book is a must-read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining and exciting book, written brilliantly., 16 April 2000
This review is from: The Tiger in the Well (Point) (Paperback)
The Tiger in the Well was one of the best books that I have ever read. It was the kind of book that had you reading for hours on end. I really loved this book and would suggest it to anyone and everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly dazzling, 3 Jan 2001
This review is from: The Tiger in the Well (Point) (Paperback)
Previously I have read Philip Pullmans dark materiels series, but I indefinately find this book even better. The story plot is so cleverly depicted in my mind, I always seem to be in the scene of action. From the first chapter i was addicted. It's not surprising that I read the book in 2 days! The story of Sally Lockharts desparate struggle in Victorian London infineately surprises and excites me. The suspense is unmeasureable and the enjoyement of reading this book will last forever. I recomend this book to any willing reader.

The Tiger in the Well (Point)
The Tiger in the Well (Point) by Philip Pullman (Paperback - 19 Mar 1999)
5.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available