5.0 out of 5 stars Wilt by Tom Sharpe
Published on 8 Dec. 2003 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny
This is the 2nd Tom Sharpe book that I have read. He is very funny though sometimes crude. I will probably not read anymore of his books.
Published 9 months ago by Stanley Evers

5.0 out of 5 stars Wilt by Tom Sharpe, 8 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Wilt: (Wilt Series 1) (Paperback)
I first read this book some twenty years ago on a train to London about to embark on my career in Higher Education. For the first time in my life I laughed out loud at a book. I sat on the train in public and could not help laughing at nearly every page, until tears streamed down my face. Tom Sharpes sartorial humour had not been surpassed since. Plumbers four, blow up dolls and further educationalists have never been the same since. Hugely funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wilt, Tom Sharpe - Sharpe's finest hour, which, considering the comepetition is quite an achievement!, 3 Sept. 2010
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wilt: (Wilt Series 1) (Paperback)
This is an hilarious book that will have you curled up in stitches for hours. It tells the story of one Henry Wilt. A nobody, unnoticed by the world and lumbered in marriage to the formidable Eva, he spends his days as a college lecturer trying to keep day release students quiet for an hour and dreaming of being `someone'.

Into his boring life explodes an American couple, who befriend Eva. Suddenly Wilt's life will never be the same again as he finds himself involved with a rubber doll and accused of a triple murder. In typical Sharpe style we start with a set of innocuous circumstances, then gradually via a series of entirely plausible small steps we are suddenly launched into a bizarre and hilarious circumstances. Wilt's world is turned upside down almost without our noticing.

The results, as Wilt tries to find his way out of his circumstances are a joy to read. I cannot even think of his police interviews with Inspector Flint without curling up in laughter. Wilt calls on all his experience dealing with day release classes to run rings round the police, and confound them at every turn. And when he comes to make up a confession, his years of daydreaming suddenly have a use.

It's a screamingly funny book, not as anarchic of some of Sharpe's other works, but the series of character studies work wonderfully, giving a series of well drawn people. This attention to the characters and the clash of the various personalities is the source of much of the humour and works extremely well.

A classic tale and one that will definitely have you laughing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly funny novel - a classic, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Wilt (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is a classic. It is such a good satire on the dumbing down of education and the mickey mouse degree culture, plus it skewers the pretentsions of the middle classes; however these days colleges are so female-dominated it is unlikely Wily would be a lecturer in an English department because many are male-free zones. It is a bit dated, and some women think this book is sexist (i do not though); a modern and darker version would be 'Crump' or 'A Campus Comedy', those there are not so Wodehousian as Sharpe. The novels from the 70s that Tom Sharpe wrote are classics - I love them all, but love this one especially because I am involved with education.

5.0 out of 5 stars great campus comedy farce, 18 April 2010
This review is from: Wilt: (Wilt Series 1) (Paperback)
I always like campud novels whether it's The History Man by Malcolm Bradbury from the 1970s or Crump by P.J.Vanston from 2010 (both recommended), so I was bound to like Wilt - also I have read other Tom Sharpes such as The Throwback.

And I would call Wilt a campus novel - like Sharpe's Porterhouse Blue - because Further Education colleges are, often, the same of the worst universities - and really hodge podge kind of places for low achievers, amongst many other things.

Of course, I work at colleges and universities, so will often see the parallels with my own working world in Wilt and other campus novels. Probably, things are far worse now than when this book was written! Both in terms of worse pay and conditions, but also in the way the mad feminists lampooned in Wilt now seem to run the entire British education system.

Tom Sharpe is essential reading - and fun - and his books are always well-written too.

5.0 out of 5 stars thigh slappingly hilarious, 8 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Wilt: (Wilt Series 1) (Paperback)
Henry Wilt hasn't been promoted in ten years of work in further education. He is also down trodden somewhat by his wife Eva... or so it seems. Then the pair go to some pseudo intellectuals party (the Pringsheims) and all hell breaks loose after the hostess sets Wilt up in a compromising position with an inflatable doll after Wilt refuses to have sex with her. Following the discovery by Eva she buggers off with the Pringsheims leaving Henry to his increasingly warped thoughts. Soon he hatches a plan murder Eva at the risk of him being made to look a fool over the doll furore... this feeling is fuelled when Eva posts him another doll. Wilt decides to use it in place of Eva in a dummy murder run dumping it down a shaft at the tech where he works. Then when the builders are about to fill the hole they spot the doll and a hilarious story ensues. A must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed until I cried!!, 22 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Wilt: (Wilt Series 1) (Paperback)
I first read this book when I was seventeen. I loved it then and I love it still. Just so funny, dry and sharp witted. An absolute classic. Now off to revisit the rest of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill!, 8 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Wilt: (Wilt Series 1) (Paperback)
'Read this years ago, in my twenties: It was almost unique in that it made me laugh out loud on London bus journeys. I went on to read other Tom Sharpe books. It was interesting reading it again 30+ years later, to discover that I still found it very funny - but also that my Life's experiences somehow added to the entertainment (I had not only been a "Liberal Studies" student, but had done the teaching - just like Wilt, himself) . It's a great read and, what's more, can be enjoyed by both genders: take it on holiday and you can pass it over to your partner when you've done with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars made a very boring summer very funny, 6 Jun. 2013
Niall Kelly - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wilt: (Wilt Series 1) (Paperback)
My sister & I were sent down to my uncles country house one summer in Athenry/Galway in the middle of nowhere at the age of 14 and 13 to be taught maths at night when he got home, exhausted. (Martin McGloin - thank you - rest his soul) I stayed in my cousins room who was away at college studying engineering. In his bookshelf, among all the boring engineering books was a small little book called Wilt. Oh how I laughed till I cried:)

I think I can admit that this was the book that got me to read books voraciously afterwards and have done so ever since, now almost 50 !! I passed on this book to my close 5 friends and we all became addicted to Tom's books...and many more since.

Suggest give this book to any 14 year old lad and change his life.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Oldie But Goodie, 27 Jan. 2015
I read the Wilt books years ago as a teen and loved them. I picked this one up in a lull remembering nothing of the plot but just remembering laughing out loud on the bus on my way to school.

I had completely forgotten just how great Tom's book are. I read the first in a couple of days. Devoured the second and I am now reading the third. And I've swapped the bus for a train and I am still laughing out loud in public.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Hilarious' prediction faltered, 28 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Wilt: (Wilt Series 1) (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me as likely to be the most hilarious book I'll ever read ! And That was my problem...if no one had said anything before hand, I might have found it so; but as it was, I'm not sure that I can say that. It was nevertheless a lovely story, with a nice ending; and, ..imaginative. Also, it had insights into what I might call a 'truer reality perspective of life'. Altogether, I'm glad I read it.

Wilt
Wilt by Tom Sharpe (Hardcover - 1 Mar. 1976)
Used & New from: £0.01