5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written book
Published on 19 Dec 2010 by Leza H

2.0 out of 5 stars I did not enjoy it then
I had to study this book for my English Lit O level many years ago. I did not enjoy it then, and, with my son doing his English Lit GCSE I was prompted to re-read it - or rather read it for the first time, I never did finish the first time around.

Published 1 month ago by The Jester's Tear

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written book, 19 Dec 2010
This review is from: Crick Crack, Monkey (Caribbean Writers Series) (Paperback)
A wonderful book. Read it in one sitting because I couldn't put it down. Beautifully written left me wanting to read more by this writer. If you like Toni Morrison, Jean Rhys and Maya Angelou, you will love this book. Warm, moving, funny, evocative and deeply heartfelt. A beautiful experience of West Indian culture through a young girls eyes. More people should know about this book,it's one of the best things I have read in a long time.

2.0 out of 5 stars I did not enjoy it then, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Crick Crack, Monkey (Caribbean Writers Series) (Paperback)

Unlike other readers I did not enjoy this book. I felt it starts out well, but for such a short book it seems to me to get very bogged down with many anecdotes that don't really seem in anyway connected with one another. The story line picks up again about two-thirds of the way through the book. But even then, I found I could not relate to the characters - they all seem to be really quite self-centred and I found myself thinking more and more, oh just grow-up. For me the end of the story comes rather suddenly and is unsatisfying. As a result I found the whole story somewhat unconvincing.

The net result, I struggled through this book the second time around just as I did the first time - which is quite an achievement for little more than 100 pages. Maybe I just don't enjoy this kind of human interest book so others may enjoy it a whole lot more than me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every bit as good as I remember, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Crick Crack, Monkey (Caribbean Writers Series) (Paperback)
I'm eternally grateful to my English teacher, Miss C, for introducing us to this wonderful book. It made more of an impression on me than any other text I read at school. (More so even than Macbeth, read in the round by us inexperienced 5th formers: " Go _get_ him, surgeons!").

After years of struggling to recall the title, it came to me out of the blue a few weeks ago and I was able to order (thank you Amazon for stocking!) and relish it all over again; it did not disappoint.

Wonderful characters speaking rich West Indian dialect, and a humorous anecdotal style of storytelling, combine beautifully with a darkening social narrative which explores a universal theme of painfully shifting attitudes and the divided loyalties experienced by a child who, as she matures, finds her horizons suddenly and bewilderingly expanded.

Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting and educational, 9 July 2009
K. Bailey (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crick Crack, Monkey (Caribbean Writers Series) (Paperback)
Crick Crack, Monkey (Caribbean Writers Series)
The human, interesting and often humourous story winds its way irresistably, holding the reader with its honesty, colour and clear character portrayal. This book educates the reader, entertains the reader and takes the reader on an adventure. Sometimes intense, often irreverent, but always direct, this book evokes emotion and cheers the heart.

Crick Crack, Monkey (Caribbean Writers Series)
Crick Crack, Monkey (Caribbean Writers Series) by Merle Hodge (Paperback - 22 Mar 2000)
6.80