5.0 out of 5 stars My students love it
Pupils find this series attractive and helpful, and teachers will be grateful for the scope and variety of its approaches. Especially to be appreciated is the fact that it informs learners themselves at what level they are achieving - or need more help. Highly recommended.
Published on 11 July 2009 by Ms. J. L. Budenz

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for enrichment or extension maybe...
Published on 13 Mar 2010 by Christopher Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for enrichment or extension maybe..., 13 Mar 2010
This review is from: Level Up Maths:Levels 4-6 Pupil Bk (Paperback)
I started this year at a school that had just ordered this text for Years 7-9. having used the excellent Impact Maths at my previous school, I was hoping that perhaps this new book might be even better but the sample copies soon showed otherwise. True, they're nice and colourful with some interesting ideas and some good questions. The positives just about end there, however. This book is extremely congested, with far too many things being crammed in on each page. The result is a mish-mash of colour and text that lacks clarity and is downright intimidating, particularly for the less able student. Progressions are brutal, with little opportunity given to establish the basics in a topic before moving on. Did somebody say steep learning curve!? After just a few simple examples, this text whisks students up and away at warp speed. OK for the very, very brightest, perhaps, but leaving the mere mortals in the class gasping for breath ...and pleading for help!
Maybe it's unfair but this book seems to have been written by somebody who loves Maths but has never taught in a classroom. I'm afraid it stays on my shelf while we use the Impact series to master the concepts. Then in April or so, we'll use it as a review tool. Other than a doorstop, that would seem to be its only use, I'm afraid.

3.0 out of 5 stars No answers - and where's the CD?, 28 July 2013
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Level Up Maths:Levels 4-6 Pupil Bk (Paperback)
I bought this to support the work of a very bright Year 6 child who is working towards Level 6, in the hope that I would be able to use it to develop her skills further; however, it is not what I'd hoped for! I already have the much cheaper homework book Level Up Maths: Homework Book (Level 4-6) which came with an accompanying CD - and the school already had the licensed answer section for these books, which I was able to print off.

This book is over 3 times dearer and, in spite of the reference to 'live text software', does not come with a CD (unless mine was overlooked!) I'm also not sure how to get my hands on the answers.

Over all, I'm afraid I don't think this book will be as useful as I had hoped. I may well stick to using the homework book as extension material to my normal maths scheme (much as I did last year) and just dip in and out of this one accasionally.

Sadly, not really worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars My students love it, 11 July 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Level Up Maths Lvl 4-6, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Level Up Maths:Levels 4-6 Pupil Bk (Paperback)
Used with pupils who are aiming for level 6 maths - they really enjoyed the layout and the fact that questions are levelled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what we needed, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Level Up Maths:Levels 4-6 Pupil Bk (Paperback)
Shows at each stage what level is achieved, gives sufficient practise and gives real life examples of why the certain of area of maths is useful in the real world

4.0 out of 5 stars Level Up Books in school, 31 Jan 2012
This review is from: Level Up Maths:Levels 4-6 Pupil Bk (Paperback)
I have been using the Level Up books now for a couple of years to teach KS3, before this I used Impact books and other resources. I think the Impact books provide plenty of practise for students but it is very old fashioned and doesn't appeal to a lot of learners in the classroom. The Level Up books provide guidance for planning and provide good levelled (which the Impact books didn't have) questions for them to answer. However, each page can take 3 lessons to go through or three pages can take one lesson; I have to judge by how much my class will need. Also, I still use additional resources but find the activities at the end of the page, interactive activities and the levelled end of unit tests extremely useful. Overall much happier using the Level Up books over Impact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Nov 2014
This review is from: Level Up Maths:Levels 4-6 Pupil Bk (Paperback)
Excellent, well laid out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Aug 2014
Fab

Level Up Maths:Levels 4-6 Pupil Bk
Level Up Maths:Levels 4-6 Pupil Bk by Keith Pledger (Paperback - 24 Jun 2008)