4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic textbook

Published 2 months ago by Sunil Tanna

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic textbook, 27 Aug. 2009
Karen Baker (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edexcel AS and A Level Modular Mathematics - Further Pure Mathematics 1 (Paperback)
An attractive and well-explained textbook with plentiful worked examples and admirably clear explanations. The Live Text CD has been really helpful, especially the worked solutions to all the questions in every exercise. This works perfectly with the Mark Rowand FP1 textbook which is less attractive, and with too-brief explanations, but sometimes uses a different approach and definitely extends knowledge more with many harder questions.
I used the Pledger text to teach myself/revise the topics, then the Rowland book to fully develop and consolidate my knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars brill for independant learning!!!, 14 Nov. 2010
Mrs. G. Teasdale (whitby, uk) - See all my reviews
I am a mature student who does not have the support offered at school/college, and I have found this book excellent as the solutions to problems are given, via the CD, not just answers! I will be definately buying the FP2 book for my next module and S2 if it is available. Buy it-it is great. (PS I am NOT on comission)

4.0 out of 5 stars Book much improved by DVD-Rom, 13 Oct. 2009
A. J. HAWKEN "Tony Hawken" (London - UK) - See all my reviews
I spent a week going through this book, to brush up my mathematics. Most of the text is made up of annotated worked examples and numerous exercises. the text which precedes this is extremely brief - mostly a bullet-pointed summary. This format, whilst useful in a classroom setting, can be inadequate if you are teaching yourself.

I have a few problems with the way some of the content is presented. For instance in chapter 2 (Numerical solution of equations) for problems involving linear interpolation, I found that the choice of similar triangles chosen only made the arithmetic more difficult. I also felt that this type of presentation was teaching procedural techniques, and that weaker students would be learning this method parrot fashion. You have the same sort of thing for finding the inverse of a matrix in chapter 4.

Overall I found the book easy to follow using the worked examples. In my case, I skimmed through each chapter doing a few problems on the way, and then did the mixed exercise for each chapter. I found the CD-ROM extremely useful, as there were some occaisions when I obtained the wrong answer. Checking on the disk is a lot quicker than finding my silly mistakes. Also, it occured to me that if I were to teach this unit, the CD-ROM would be brilliant for displaying examples on the board, and so would dramatically cut down what I would have to write on the board.

The inclusion of the CD-ROM much improves the product and gives the buyer a feeling that they have much better value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only Further Maths Student!, 1 Feb. 2010
L. Loveridge - See all my reviews
Hey, Im a student studying for my A level's at Sixth Form and have started Further Maths as an extra AS in addition to my other A levels. As Im the only one out of my sixth form doing further maths, the department didn't have the right books to support me so I bought this book in hope it would help. And I have no problem in saying it absolutly does!
The diagrams are clear and colourul and its really useful if you want to teach yourself (although some guidance is useful)
The exercises are varied and provide examples for any types ofthe question. Some of the answers in the back of the book are wrong but they are obviously wrong so you dont worry about it!
Overall, Im really please I bought this book,I know its going to help me immensly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for purpose, 3 July 2012
I sat my FP1 exam in June and this book covered absolutely everything that I could have needed to know. The solution bank on the included disc has been invaluable in times of doubt, as it clearly provides and explains the solutions to problems within the book (including proofs - from what I remember).

5.0 out of 5 stars The best out there..., 8 Jan. 2014
I found this book really good! All the different sections are explained in full, and then examples are given for you to see how it works, then at the end of each sub section there are practice questions with the answers at the back of the book so that you can check that you got it right! There are some practice exam questions and end of chapter 'mixed' questions as they put it. My only complaint is that the answers at the back of the book literally just give you the answers. This isn't as good as you can't see where you went wrong checking it over and it could just be a simple mistake that having seen a 'full' marking answer would have settled! Although, I've found that because there isn't this 'luxury' I double check my answers and can find the mistakes myself which has helped my learning.
In summery, this is the best book to get if your studying Further Maths!

5.0 out of 5 stars Edexcel AS and A Level Modular Mathematics - Further Pure Mathematics 1, 1 Jan. 2013
Bought as a present for my granddaughter in Thailand, at the request of her parents. It seems well laid out and I expect that it will prove of great value as she proceeds through secondary school

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the course, 16 Jun. 2014
I chose this rating as, while the book does exhaust the specification nicely, I cannot pull myself to give this a perfect 5/5. This is because as someone who is in the middle of learning the module, have found mistakes in the answers, although seldom do they come. The mistakes are especially horrifying for one whose tenacity on the knowledge of the difficult mathematical concepts is, without saying, precarious.

I would not, however, cause this to hinder your purchase of this book; It does provide excellent examples in solving the questions that are posed, and contains a solution bank in a CD which is very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for A Level Further Mathematics Studies, 19 April 2013
It covers everything you need to know inside out and from top to bottom. It is also simple to follow with no ambiguity.

3.0 out of 5 stars The book is pretty good, does what it says on the description ..., 30 Jan. 2015
Sunil Tanna - See all my reviews
The book is pretty good, does what it says on the description (haven't checked all the math, wanted the book for reference).... but.... I bought a copy "used but as new", and while generally in good condition, was a bit annoyed to see some pages contain writing/scrawls/drawing by the previous owner in black biro - some of it math-related - and others not, such as an elaborate doodle of a fish.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›