5.0 out of 5 stars For A-level Maths textbooks, look no further
I was wary about buying this book after having read a number of negative reviews, although went with it given the lack of alternatives and I'm glad I did. I was pleasantly surprised to find very few errors and that the book met the same high standard as I'd become used to from this series. The following review is for the books for C1 through C4 and M1/M2...

I...
Published on 26 Jun. 2012 by Readie

1.0 out of 5 stars Review
Published on 27 May 2010 by Amazon1

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Review, 27 May 2010
This review is from: Edexcel AS and A Level Modular Mathematics - Mechanics 2 (Paperback)
I bought this book to help me revise for my M2 alevel exam. I already have a book which I have received from school and have been working from this year. However I have also been using this type of edexel book for my C3 exams and have found the exams very clear and the CD is especially helpful. However this M2 booklet is nothing compared the the quality of the previous books. I feel it must have been written in a hurry as it is filled with mistakes in many of the examples and questions which leads to much confusion. The CD doesn't have all the questions on it and some of the answers are put to the wrong questions. All in all this seems to be a rushed first attempt to get this book out on the shelves quickly. I wouldn't recomend buying this version but I'm sure that the later vesions will be much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars An appauling textbook, 31 Dec. 2010
Short and concise : How can a student become confident in the mathematics if he/she is right yet the book gets it wrong? Absolutely disgusted, and this can be very demoralizing to students. This book is the worst mathematics textbook I have seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars For A-level Maths textbooks, look no further, 26 Jun. 2012

I took A-level maths fifteen years ago and have now repeated the course as a mature student. This series proved an excellent resource to self-teach, leaving me able to answer all past paper questions and tackle the actual exams with total confidence. The accompanying CD's, which have worked through answers to all the questions, are an invaluable addition. There are the very occasional wrong answers printed in the textbook although these can be easily identified through the workings.

Whilst I did use other books for some modules, I found that they offered very little, if anything, over this series in terms of the A-level course. What this series does not do is stray from the A-level syllabus, and consequently the context of questions could prove somewhat limited for those seeking a more comprehensive understanding of pre-university maths. However, the absolute focus on the syllabus is ideal for those seeking no more than to pass A-level exams.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing: proof reader required, 1 Sept. 2010
Karen Baker (UK) - See all my reviews
This is potentially an excellent text: the attractive and clearly presented examples and the detailed solutions on the CD should make it easy to teach oneself, like the other books in this series.

However, the explanations of the physics concepts are cursory, maybe expecting students to be studying A level physics too. While the mathematics is easy to follow, I would like fuller, layman's explanations of what work and power actually are, and why the principle of conservation of mechanical energy and the work-energy principle are true.

Moreover, it is riddled with many misprints and mistakes in the worked examples, in the answers in the back of the book, and also the worked solutions on the CD. This is repeatedly frustrating and demoralising: have I made a fundamental error in understanding, a careless calculation mistake or is the book wrong?

How hard can it be to get a decent proof reader?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Textbook, 27 Nov. 2012
I use these books to teach both mathematics and physics-mechanics. I find them very well explained and help students become independent learners. They can read the worked examples and do similar questions on their own. The book does not have errors and the questions go gradually from easy to more complicated. I like the book. Thank you Amazon for quick and quality service.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite disappointed, 15 May 2011
I have experience with other edexcel module books and they are much better. The format is clear, easy to read and concise, but some of the mistakes are horrendous. This is ok when you have a teacher but when you are learning on your own, it can be a real pain. What I don't understand is, just a basic read through the book should have highlighted the simple and basic mistakes. Am disappointed a high level book company such as Heinemann does not do this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better, 27 April 2010
A. Varsani (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Pros - good examples, challenging questions, comes with the whole book on CD. The CD also contains questions and answers (not just the answers, shows you the full step by step instructions on how to get the answer).

Cons - some of the answers are wrong - doesn't help when you are trying to learn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, illustrated textbook, 22 April 2010
The textbook was delivered on the second day after ordering. It is illustrated in colour, easy to follow and includes a CD with fully worked solutions to the questions in the book. Worked examples are annotated to make it clear what happens from step to step.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately many mistakes and typos, 26 Mar. 2013
It seems the M2 module's book is not up to the standard of earlier modules. The text is full of mathematical errors that are not simply typos, though there are plenty of those as well.

A corrected edition is overdue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 20 Mar. 2014
I bought this book for revision and it is brilliant. Each topic is accompanied with plenty of examples and questions. There are also notes at the side to fully explain each example. The condition of the book was excellent.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Edexcel AS and A Level Modular Mathematics - Mechanics 2
Edexcel AS and A Level Modular Mathematics - Mechanics 2 by Keith Pledger (Paperback - 24 April 2009)