on 25 May 2005
I am half way through my NVQ and i must say without this book to guide me through it would be much harder. The language is easy to understand and it gives you a starting point to each unit. The end of unit work and the case studies help you in more ways. I woulod recommend this book to any who is starting their NVQ.
on 31 December 2002
I have been eagerly awaiting delivery of this book which has just become available. It will certainly be a great help for anyone doing the new NVQ3 for Teaching Assistants or other Teaching Assistants who just want to increase their knowledge. I started the NVQ3 in September and although I have only had the book a few days I have already read it from cover to cover: it gives lots of tips and information on how to meet the standards. The language is clear and easy to understand. It is highly readable and an excellent resource.
My only reservation is that there is little guidance on how to present evidence which is a central part of NVQ courses. However it should be noted that the course is very new and this may be the reason.
I have recommended the book to my fellow NVQ students.
on 22 May 2005
I have now completed the NVQ level 3 (Teaching assistant) and I could NOT have done it without this book. Thank you Louise and Helen for the clear and easy to use way you have put this book together. Some of the questions in the "Standards" are writen in such a way that you just don't know where to start.This book gives you the starting point, for you to then draw on own experiences to fufill the "Standards". I can now wave the bits of paper that say I have completed the NVQ 3 but I must give the credit to this book. If you are thinking of doing the NVQ or just wanting help in how to do your job (TA) better then this is the book I would recomend. All the people on the course with me had this book. I only wish this had been the book that the course provider had recomended. The previous reviewer said that it didn't give advice on how to present your portfolio but your tutor sould do this as they are the ones marking it.
on 27 May 2014
I bought The Teaching Assistant's Handbook as I was about to start my Level 3 course, and needed a good reference book. Louise Burnham gives an excellent insight into STL at Level 3 and her book is useful as a supporting resource for the course. I would recommend, however, that the newest edition be obtained, as this has more up-to-date legislation and information.
on 18 August 2011
this book I purchased because of its raiting 39%,this book is great!!! it cover alot of your course an its practical when your working with young children.I would recommend this book,oh an please look in to the book before you buy as like myself being so confused I was assured that this book was good.Spend wise,Think twice,Choose right.....
on 23 June 2013
the book was somewhat useful for my course but as described as used but like new this was not the case. it had a rip down the back cover, the spine was weak and inside some of the pages it was grubby with food etc stuck to it!
on 1 March 2015
Good book gives hints and tips on how to become a TA. I think there's a newer version but this one gives ideas on what to expect in a classroom.Has questions after section for you to reflect on your learning.
on 2 April 2014
This book was so so helpful when I was qualifying for my NVQ 3. It goes through the Units clearly, helping you with your notes.
It is that must buy for any Teaching Assistant.
on 30 December 2011
I used this book as though it was a bible. It is an essential book for my chosen course and found it extremely vital. Delivery very prompt many thanks
on 22 November 2012
The book arrived very promptly, it was in very good condition and provided many hours of study. Exactly as described and at a fair price.