5.0 out of 5 stars Still A Great Read After All This Time!
I initially read this book for the first time in high school in 1983, the same year the movie was released. I still have that copy, which has seen better days. I remember the story and the characters drawing me in from the start. It's a classic coming of age tale of kids from the wrong side of the tracks struggling to fit in and fighting against those who view them as...
Published on 14 Feb. 2007 by Brian M. Gelinas

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Rated
I rated this book a three because it is very good but gets confusing for a little while and has no clear story line.
Published 16 months ago by Read books

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An oldie but a goodie, 6 Aug. 2007
I read The Outsiders for the first time when I was 12 years old and I think I must have read it about 20 more times between the ages of 12 and 14. I considered this the best book ever written so it was with some trepidation that I re-read my copy at the ripe old age of 24. I needn't have worried!

SE Hinton wrote this book when she was just 17 and if I am being totally honest, her age does show in some of the passages which aren't always the best written in the world. But, what this book lacks in writing skill, it MORE than makes up in heart, passion and feeling. This book still managed to floor me and take me on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. The story follows Ponyboy Curtis and his gang in the South West of America. It's a really simple story that does grab you from the beginning.

Some of the secondary charcters in the gang are a bit one dimensional because there's not enough time to flesh them out. The book cracks along at a fast pace and thankfully, the characters that are with you all the way are so well thought out and real that reading about them again was like discovering old friends.

This story has a real punch to it, a punch that after 10 years and about 20 readings, still managed to leave me in tears. This is a wonderful, heartfelt book that readers of all ages should look out.

5 STARS!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless books about growing up on the wrong side of the tracks, 5 Oct. 2011
As a young boy of about 13/14 I read Susan Hinton's books and couldn't believe how they spoke to me. Later on when I found out the S E Hinton I idolised was a woman I couldn't conceive that a "girl" could write such an insightful male book. Fantastic. So I learnt that women not only were pleasing to look at (I was such a child!) they could emphasise with us boys. What a brilliant lesson on my road to becoming a well-rounded human. Her books have been used in schools all over the western world as great educational tools not just for their subject matter but for their literary standing too.
Back to the book. Anyone who is young enough to be going through teen years or who has those horrible creatures as offspring should be forced to read her books because they are a window into how teens think act and react based on their upbringing, social standing and peer groups. They have an insight into the human condition that is very sharp yet still keeps the reader enthralled about the characters and their circumstances. I'm not giving anything away about the plot nor the characters. Just jump in and read her works. All of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly amazing book of teens from the poor side of town ..., 15 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Outsiders (Kindle Edition)
I read this as a young teen and it has stayed with me ever since. A truly amazing book of teens from the poor side of town and the rich, of hardships, growing up and teenage angst. Full of laughs, tears and tragedy and a lovely poem. I bought this for my 12yr old daughter to read and it has stood up to the test of time, she totally loves the story. Highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book EVER!, 1 Oct. 2001
This review is from: The Outsiders (Tracks) (Paperback)
I first read this book in school, me and my friends are still talking about it.I must have read it over 20 times and it still makes me cry.You can really feel the pain that 'Ponyboy' went through. I also watched the video.I have read all of S.E.Hinton's books and there all as good. i would reccomend it to anyone. At 13 it's hard to find a book that you can really get into.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for teens, 19 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Outsiders (New Windmills) (Hardcover)
The Outsiders is a wonderful story of teenage life that you just won't be able to put down. Everything in the book is wonderful, from the characters to the storyline. You will instantly warm to Ponyboy and Johnny and have a strange admiration for Dallas Winston. The story is based on the socs and the greasers who are constantly fighting eachother because they come from opposing sides of town. The story folds out into a spiral of events that Ponyboy finds very hard to cope with..It is a wonderful book that you will want to read again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dreaming of Ponyboy Curtis, 13 Jan. 2004
I watched this film a thousand times as a teenager and had many a daydream that involved Ponyboy Curtis. Written by S E Hinton when she was only 16, that knowledge in itself was enough to make me wonder at the abilities of others.
The Outsiders was written in 1967 and describes the world of Greasers and Socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back.
Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser.
I enjoyed the book greatly, it is quite obvious that the author was very young, emphasising eye colour etc, and although some of the bookclub members thought that was amusing, overall it was well received. A recommended read.
The Techie

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book, 10 Oct. 1999
This review is from: The Outsiders (Tracks) (Paperback)
I must have read hundreds of books in my lifetime but this will always be my favourite. Given to me at the age of thirteen by a friend who also raved about it, I was at first put off by a rather cheesy cover! Once I opened the book, however, I was enthralled and read it in one sitting. About a year later I saw the rather mediocre film, and I advise anyone else who has seen it not to be put off reading the book. The film doesn't come close to portraying the depth of Ponyboy's(The main character)complex feelings, and leaves out elements important to the story. I am now seventeen and must have read this book ten times and it still makes me sob (it's the only book that ever has), and I have lent the now-battered copy to every one of my friends who all share the same opinion-it is a brilliant book and everyone should experience the joy of reading it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A defining classic of teen literature, 21 Sept. 2002
S E Hinton has never bettered her first book, which turns a straightfoward tale of teen angst and turf warfare into something more: an ambitious, uncomprimising tearjerker with a keen sense of outrage and an enduring - if complex - moral. It fluently evokes the edgy dynamic of urban gangland culture with its intense loyalties and hostilities, whilst giving a startling new voice to the dilemmas of growing up in an partial and often outright brutal world. As a shy, self-effacing kid turned fugutive and reluctant hero, Ponyboy makes for a sensitive and believable narrator, and though the landscape of 60s urban Oklahoma may seem remote to some readers, the book's charisma and emotion still ring true. Like J D Salinger's 'Catcher in the Rye', 'The Outsiders' has permanantly influenced the way that young adulthood is written. It remains fresh, tough and hard-hitting. Unforgettable reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars I cant even begin to express the greatness, 4 Aug. 2001
This review is from: The Outsiders (Tracks) (Paperback)
I must say that this book led me to be so deeply envolved in the characters, there habits and I even started to speak like then. S. E. Hinton is one of the best authors, in my mind the best and with it's witty words and phrases, sad bits, happy bits and bits where once I'd read it for the 16th time i still cryed. Ive read this so many times and not once out of the 16 times have I been bored, it's an amazing show of talent from an author when there books never make you bored even after that many times reading it. I can't stress the point that you need to read this more. It is a unique and original book which should have won awards for it's greatness. A must have in any readers shelves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 13 April 2014
Mike Watkinson (Norfolk, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've not much interest in Modern Fiction as a rule; anything from post WWII. I've one or two particularly notable ones from the Penguin Classics on my bookshelf, such as A Clockwork Orange and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, but none too many. I picked this up recently for nothing, otherwise I probably would have passed it by. Lucky me; I'm glad I didn't. It's a very short novel; not better, but more impressive for having been written by a 17 year old. It is not something something that makes me want to run out & buy more "gritty, emotional, realistic" Modern Fiction, but it is well worth the time. I'm definitely glad I didn't pass it by!

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

The Outsiders (New Windmills)
The Outsiders (New Windmills) by S.E. Hinton (Hardcover - 9 July 1996)
Used & New from: £0.01