on 13 December 2002
If your planning a little domestic home re-wiring, then this book will only help a little, but will leave you with more questions than answers? That is if it does not put you off all together. I am sure the book is excellent for the professional / student, but for the DIYer (me) who wants to see simple diagrams and explainations on how to wire lighting circuits with 2 way / 1 way switches, or ring mains then this is not the book!! The diagrams shown take me back to 3rd year physics and are only loosely based on domestic wiring. To be fair examples for working out cable sizes etc can be found, but this is very indepth (for me), and in my opinion did not help.
on 16 November 2003
The book is a very useful addition when studying for the C&G 2381 course and exam. My only criticism is that all the page number references and table references are wrong. And by this I don't mean references to the regulations but the book itself. Its very frustrating. However when you have found where the book is refering to it is a decent study aid.
on 13 June 2005
I bought this book while studying for the C&G 2381 (16th edition wiring regs) exam.
Unfortunately the edition I have (2003 reprint) has a number of mistakes in it - not least of which is that a number of symbols got lost in the printing process - for example some of the greek "Omega" letters (for ohms) came out as asterisks. This is an unforgivable gaffe from a publishing house like Newnes who should be used to printing scientific material.
I was slightly less confused once I'd figured out what had happened, but even without the mistakes, I feel that the book could have been clearer. I find the writing style rather heavy going, and some of the diagrams could be clearer.
Without the mistakes, 3 out of 5, but with the mistakes, you could end up more confused than you started.
on 29 January 2009
I think Brain Scaddan's books are good (for practicing electricians)
however there are mistakes which can put you off !!
In this book page 83 circuit design calcs are wrongly printed.In the formula the value of 28 mv/a/m should read 2.8. (i think anyhow !! this is the trouble as you begin to doubt yourself !!)
The page goes on to state that after the calcs, the longest lenght of 16mm 2 core copper allowed to carry 33 amps can only be a max of 17.8 metres !!
I would not like to be running cables on this job as every cable carrying 33 amps longer than 17 metres would have to be at least 16 mm !!
Anyhow I am sure it's a printing error ??