on 29 September 2001
Catherine Cookson is the most amazing writer. Once I picked up this book, I could not put it down! She explores the lives of different people, mixed into a love triangle which contains a sudden twist. She explores life of people of different status, and you can almost imagine you are in the book with the vivid and life like descriptions. It has inspired me to read many more of her books as well as other classical novels, which are just as wonderful. A truly inspiring book.
I had not really been 'into' Catherine Cookson before reading this book but now I have to admit to being a total convert.

This is a story of murder, love and also of a hatred that goes beyond the grave and much, much more.

The main characters are Mary Ellen, Hal and Roddy whose lives start off together and somehow manage to end up together again via Roddy's daughter. This was such a readable book that it took me two hours of reading to finish.

I'd highly recommend this book for its many twists and turns and also for the way that the author so cleverly portrays human nature in all its guises. Her portrayal of the characters is vivid as are her descriptions of the homes they live in and the way they live their lives.
on 23 July 2014
This is my favourite Catherine Cookson novel of all times. Although more come pretty close . It is the second time I have read it and also watched the DVD. Wonderful exciting story. The characters seem so real and involve you right from the start to the very end. Love the atmosphere of the time it is written about. I don't really like love stories but this captivated me.
on 11 May 2013
I enjoyed reading this book.....it has taken a long while to finish it as it has over 13'000 pages....I enjoy Catherine Cooksons way of writing as she goes deep into the explanation of things which makes it a more exciting read ..
on 17 April 2012
The film of this book kept appearing at very odd times on some obscure tv channel and so I would watch part but never see the whole thing so I decided to buy the book. I thoroughly enjoyed it and its a typical Catherine Cookson novel based in the North and covers a couple of generations. If you're a Cookson fan then you will enjoy it.
on 26 May 2016
I have read all of Catherine's books and used to own best part of them, which I unfortunately lost due to a house move. This is probably my favourite. I do like to go back and read her books again and this is the third time I've read dinner of herbs.
on 16 May 2015
I love all of Catherine Cookson books, but this one has to be my favourite. Really solid story, the characters are well-rounded and believable. The moral of the story is so true and wouldn't be misplaced today. A thoroughly good read.
on 9 January 2014
I have read this book many times before and really enjoyed it and wanted to read it again but my eyesight is not so good now and for such a large book the print was too small therefore i gave up.
on 23 April 2013
I love this book I have read it several times, as I have all Catherine Cookson books, so I downloaded it to take away on holiday. They are good stories & hold your interest.
on 19 October 2015
What a brilliant book. It kept me going for days! Full of life and character, intrigue and hatred that hounds to death those that live it. Fabulous. Liz