5.0 out of 5 stars Scout's story
I must have read this story at least five times in the two or so years since I first picked up a copy, sometimes returning right back to the start after closing the book. I only wish I could remain immersed in Harper Lee's bygone age and beautifully crafted characters, and not have to reach that last page.
The main thread of 'To Kill A Mockingbird' is the trial of a...
Published on 17 Mar 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Get another edition
Published on 6 Dec 2006 by Tim Riding

5.0 out of 5 stars Scout's story, 17 Mar 2003
By A Customer
The main thread of 'To Kill A Mockingbird' is the trial of a black man, the symbolic 'mockingbird' of the title, who is accused of raping a white woman, but I much prefer the subtext of a widower father struggling to raise his children with the correct values in a deeply prejudiced society. The story is told through the eyes of the eight year old daughter, 'Scout', which at once paints a more honest picture of events whilst presenting a biased opinion of the central adult protagonist. Whether or not Scout is blinded by love for her father, Atticus Finch is probably one of the most heroic characters in fiction, and a role model for fathers everywhere. Although the trial itself is a tense moment in the story, and educational from a historical point of view, it is the Finch family dynamic that has made me so attached to this story. The first part of the book, when the children are younger and still relatively blind to the world that surrounds them, provides the most enjoyable reading.
I don't know whether it is a good or bad thing that Harper Lee has only written this one story, because I doubt 'To Kill A Mockingbird' could be surpassed. Scout's narration presents both a child's world in adult terms, and an adult world from a child's point of view, providing much comic relief amidst the drama and heartfelt emotion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Get another edition, 6 Dec 2006
Before I start this review I want to say that I think To Kill a Mockingbird is a brilliant novel and it easily gets five stars. This review is of this book specifically. I happen to have both this edition and an older version printed in the 70s, and I'm afraid they seem to have strangely edited it. A couple of bits are cut out for no apparant reason - pages 191 and 280 - and I really can't fathom why they did it. The old version is far better. Footlights is changed to floodlights, another really weird and miniscule change which I know doesn't make any difference whatsoever, but why the hell did they change it in the first place? There are loads of misprints also, which don't appear in the older version. I know that normal people (unlike me) won't care, but I'd really advise you to buy a different edition if you can find one, as the changes on 191 and 280 are quite major, and neither of the changes are improvements. I want to repeat that I think the book itself is brilliant and deserves five stars, but get a different edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful story based on a true life account, 10 Dec 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: To kill a mocking bird
At first I thought it seemed like a boring old book but after getting into the first few chapters I couldn’t put it down. This book mainly covers the prejudice that coloured people face and the Harper Lee has a unique way of portraying the book. This story was based on something which happened to her in her childhood so because of this she writes the story almost as if she writing her autobiography.
This is a brilliant read no matter how old you are or where in the world you come from. I would mainly recommend this book to someone who likes to read either biographies or autobiographies even though this story is neither one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, ageless masterpiece, 8 Aug 2007
I first read this book when I was very young, too young to understand it, and then again when I was at school. But this is one of those books that becomes more profound, more accessible and more relevant the more you read it.

On the surface, it is a tale of racial prejudice in the search for justice, but in fact the story goes beyond that. It is about all prejudices, about the importance of walking around in someone else's shoes in order to truly understand them. Jem and Scout are delightfully child-like, and the effect of a hindsight narrative only adds to the many layers to be found here. Atticus Finch is the man to beat all men - he is the ideal father, the ideal man. He stands for justice, for righteousness and for "fighting back", even when you know you have lost. He is the ideal against which all men should be measured.

This is the most brilliant story of one community's injustice in small-town America, the consequences of which resonate throughout society at large. There has never been (and can never be) another "To Kill a Mockingbird", and the most amazing thing about this novel is that it can be read, re-read and read again generation after generation, and its magic only ever increases. A must-have in your collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Maycomb County comes to life....., 7 July 2010
If you loved reading the book or have seen the movie - you can't fail to enjoy this audio version. Sissy Spacek has exactly the right voice, and in particular, her portrayal of Scout Finch is mesmerising.
This masterful reading brings the world of Maycomb County vividly to life. And at such a bargain price, it is a must-have for fans of the book.
Buy it now - you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have ever read., 1 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: To Kill a Mocking Bird (Hardcover)
I loved "To Kill a Mocking Bird the first time I read it 15 years ago and I've loved it each of the dozens of times I've read it since. Scout's fragile innocence as she learns about the injustices of the world touches my heart.

4.0 out of 5 stars audio recording, 7 Nov 2010
P BORG-BARTOLO (BIRMINGHAM, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Very good Audio recording of 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. Cissy Spacek's delivery was very atmospheric, clear and very enthusiastic. 11 CDs gave about 12 hours of pleasurable listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tightly written with a message for everyone, 2 Mar 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Harper Lee was encouraged to write some of her childhood memories. What in the beginning seems like the story of three childhood friends in depression era Macomb, Alabama, turns out to be packed with insights to the makeup of human kind.

This story is intriguing on many levels from the history of the area to the stereotyping of people. Most of all every turn was a surprise as told in the first person from the view of Scout Finch. And instead of telling the story in a six year old vocabulary she uses an exceptionally large repertoire to describe the people and events. This story is not as slow passed as one may guess from first glance as every remark and every action will be needed for a future action.

A major controversial part of the story is the trial of Tom Robinson. Hoverer this is just a catalyst to help Scout understand the nature of people including her father Atticus and you will find that as important as it is it is just a part of the story with other major characters such as Arthur "Boo" Radley.

Even thought it appears that Scout is the recipient of the insights, I believe we the reader is the real recipient.

I can truly say that this book has changed my outlook in life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harper Lee's classic story, 15 Sep 2010
Great book and a genuine classic. Written with strong characters and a teasing story which will leave you wanting more and more, to the point of making some read it in one sitting!

The story is fascinating, engrossing, and utterly captivating as the drama cleverly unfolds. The narrating character 'Scout', unveils the hypocrisy of some people in a fictional American town during the Great Depression - in their attitudes towards people of a different colour, economic status and different religion as well as people with disabilities. Human nature in 'To Kill A Mocking Bird' is drawn bare as people pass judgement on others without judging themselves first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tezza, 20 Aug 2010
Having never read the book .... and havin recently discovered audio books along with my ipod ... I was blown away with this book. Stepping back to such a time seen through the eyes of a child AND read by Sissy Spaceck ... Brilliant I highly recommend it!

ARRAY(0xac47d510)

To Kill A Mockingbird
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Hardcover - 20 Oct 2003)
Used & New from: 3.48