4.0 out of 5 stars Two out of three ain't bad - but full marks to Mr. Harris!
Published on 29 Nov 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent thriller let down by a rushed ending
I bought the third instalment of the Hannibal Lecter saga in France and read it within 5 days, such was the intensity of the storyline, although some mini-plots including the pickpocketing of Lecter for fingerprinting purposes go on way too long.
Published on 9 Aug 2000 by chrishyams

4.0 out of 5 stars Two out of three ain't bad - but full marks to Mr. Harris!, 29 Nov 2005
By A Customer
Ok, ‘Hannibal’ has been hailed the worst of the Hannibal Lecter trilogy, but I am here to disagree. It is just a slightly different genre, and may not appeal to all you pyscho lovers out there! It is nowhere near as thrilling as the first two books (‘Red Dragon’ and ‘The Silence Of The Lambs’ for all you Hannibal virgins out there!) however; I think it is the most essential. After reading the first instalments, I wanted to find out more about Dr. Lecter himself, and not just focus on another hero/heroine that saves the American public from an evil serial killer. Don’t get me wrong, ‘Red Dragon’ and ‘Silence’ are quite possibly the best novels of the century, and subsequently great films, but they do not capture my imagination as thoroughly as the third of the series. If you have seen the movie version of ‘Hannibal’, do not be discouraged. Surprisingly I found the film terrible as it did not incorporate the most important aspects of the plot (and changed the ending, which was vital to the storyline).
I absolutely loved how Thomas Harris delved into the character of Hannibal, and gave us a taster of his history. I also love how this scarily intelligent and eloquent doctor actually has the views of a 5-year old (see Mischa and Clarice). After ‘Silence’ I was eager to find out what Hannibal actually felt about Clarice, and it is all answered in this book (I LOVE the ending!). It emphasises the characters more than a murderous plot, as seen in the previous two, which I felt gave more depth to the novel and made it so much more interesting. However, the best part of this book is how Harris encourages and builds a relationship between the reader and Dr. Lecter, and by the end I found myself actually liking the vile serial killer! Then I started thinking, what is so bad about eating people anyway?!
(Disclaimer – I am a vegetarian!!!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost A Silence Beater, 29 July 2000
Having read all of the Lecter Books, I was expecting something amazing here, but having read some of the other reviews my expectations were lessened somewhat. Having read the book (twice) I can say that I am definatly not dissapointed and found it to be a riviting read from cover to cover.
The average rating in my opinion does not do this book justice, this I feel is because of what preceded this book. Silence of ... was a a clasic, and the film brought the book to a wider audience, in the respect of wanting a story, written in a similar can-and-mouse format then this story will not delevier what you want.
What it does do is expand on the concepts and ideas that surround Lecter, allowing you glimpses into his mind allows you to both reach him, and respect him as a person, and yet be chilled by his actions.
The ending has been a source of much debate in the reviews I have read thus far, I do not feel it is any way a let down to the book or the series. I think it is excatly inline with the Dr's personality, and makes sense as a form of tempory insanity as a result of the depression which was enveloping Starling throughout the book, and was in my opinion cleverly built up throughout. This leaves the possibility of further sequels, which I hope mr Harris sees fit to bestow upon us, or as an ending to the series in its own right.
Read this book but approach it with an open mind, and I doubt many will be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone read this!, 4 Jun 2001
...This is genius, pure and simple. Harris has not only created a novel of extreme trauma and terror, but one that is also literally brilliant. To be honest, there are not many contemporary novels that even come within touching distance of this masterpiece. Harris is miles out in front.
Of course, by now, having read an enormous amount of reviews of this book one comes to see a slight conflict in the criticisms. People either love or hate the ending. Those who hate simply despise and feel cheated and those who love the conclusion generally feel the opposite. Well, personally, I believe that the ending that Harris portrays is the only real ending that the book could have had. Yes it is twisted, and yes it is evil. But it is also surreal, equally matching all that has gone before in the novel. Harris does not take the usual path through his books and he hasn't now. It is certainly not dreamt up in 5 minutes as some would believe. It is carefully placed. Yes it does add considerably to the shock factor, but that I feel is merely a bonus. It shows how a novel such as this can end against normal convention.
It is a book like all of Harris', well written, researched and utterly gripping. [Who] knows how he will carry on having produced such a spell binding tapestry.

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent thriller let down by a rushed ending, 9 Aug 2000
Again, Harris plumbs the depths of human evil with some of the most twisted, unsympathetic characters ever put into print, while the gore factor is only used in moderation. However, we find out a lot more about the two key characters in this volume, all of which is relevant to the plot, unlike Stephen King's unbearable twenty-page monologues on minor characters and background incidents bearing no real relation to his stories.
The ending, as many reviewers have noted, is somewhat disappointing and a little over-the-top even for Harris, but of course Harris has left the ongoing plot open-ended and ripe for another sequel to the Lecter franchise.
We'll have and see what fate has in store for Dr Lecter and Agent Starling in the next episode of this gripping saga, and let's hope for a more fitting finale next time around.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, 15 Oct 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Hannibal (Hardcover)
I got this book as a present since, as many people, I dont like publicity machines and so refused to get it, particularly in hard-back. As fate would have it I got it in hard-back. I had read Red Dragon and Silence Of The Lambs and thought Red Dragon to be the better book in terms of pure suspense, I literally couldnt put it down. So I expected the same type of content from Hannibal. I was wrong, it's not the suspense filled terror that we're used to instead Harris goes to great lengths to, in some way, humanize Lecter to the reader, and from the outset of this look back to Lecters past it was obvious that Harris was killing off Lecters legacy (i.e. I'd be very surprised to see a sequel). It's unfortunate that the book lacked momentum because it WAS written very well. I was particularly impressed at the detail given to the inner workings of Lecters mind which was beautifully constructed and well researched, even if only for the references to The Memory Palace. Worth an open minded read though

3.0 out of 5 stars Be patient with it., 23 Aug 2000
By A Customer
Hannibal is by no means the worst book ever written but it is far from a masterpiece. Thomas Harris has left out vital aspects in this book that made Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs so excellent, most notably the terror. Hannibal has some delightful and unpredictable twists, particularly when Dr. Lecter's whereabouts is discovered, but the lead up to them can be disappointingly slow and the reader can have a tendancy to wonder why they're bothering. With patience, Hannibal turns out to be a good read; what one could describe as gripping reading in this book all happens in the second half, and it is a shame that it is let down by the first half. The ending is somewhat unpredictable. I had been told before reading this book that it had a dodgy ending, but there is something strangely disturbing about the ending which, after all is what horror is supposed to do: disturb. All in all, this is something of a missed opportunity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love story with a chilling twist involving Lecter, 4 Aug 2000
L. S. Sinclair "louise318" (London) - See all my reviews
Hannibal is charismatic, charming, courteous and intelligent. The twisted genius of the infamous Hannibal the cannibal is starkly illustrated by the torture suffered by Mason. This unlikeable victim of " The Good Doctor" has no redeeming characteristics and sympathy for Dr Lecter is easily invoked. Lecter and Starling are drawn together in a chilling mating ritual as outside forces and the innate fascination they feel for one another pull them together. This masterpiece is a true love story between fascinatingly drawn characters. Harris demonstrates an uncanny understanding of the human psyche and the evil that men do.Truly this author must have made a serious study of Forensic Science and criminology.Hannibal (the charming pyschopath) never disappoints and always enchants the reader with his dark charm and wry black humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gruesome masterpiece!, 12 Sep 2001
By A Customer
What an outstanding book, Hannibal had me gripped all the way through. I had seen the film before reading the book, but I thought that the book may turn out better than the film, and it did. Some parts were a little drawn out and perhaps even boring, but they were often made up for by the next grisly and shocking stage of the story. A good read for anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inside Hannibal's head, 28 Feb 2001
A. M. Hendry (Scottish Borders) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
'Hannibal' was certainly written as a piece of literary excellence, but something gets lost between the intention and the page. It doesn't have the same frisson as the first two Lecter books, 'Red Dragon' and 'Silence of the Lambs'; but don't let that put you off. It really is a good read - gripping and insightful. The first two books were less pretentious, but then of course this one is about Lecter himself, not serial killers he has an interest in, and Lecter IS pretentious. He is also very scary. In 'Silence of the Lambs', Jack Crawford told us not to let Lecter inside our heads. But 'Hannibal' insists that we do that. And it's a fascinating, grisly place to be. Pity about the ending - I preferred the one in the film, despite its goriness - but this book is still shocking, well-written, and totally compelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doubtlessly a work of masterpiece - unrivaled, 3 Sep 2000
By A Customer
The book is doubtlessly a work of masterpiece, unrivaled by anything I've ever experienced before. Harris has mastered the sexual suspense between the monster and his pursuer to the point where the reader is left wondering if Hannibal wants to f**k, kill or eat her. Perhaps he wants to do all three but maybe not in that order. This level of intensity creates an all-consuming addiction in the reader to devour every last page. To this point the ending of the trilogy is a disappointment. Having pushed the intellectual boundries possible by mere text, Harris closes by indulging the reader in a manner they expected when they first bought the book. Left feeling empty and wholey unmoved by the last few chapters the reader mentally contrasts to fully apprecieate the brilliance of the book preceeding it. WOW!

Hannibal
Hannibal by Thomas Harris (Hardcover - 8 Jun 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01