4.0 out of 5 stars A sick love story
Published on 7 Dec 2005 by Mr. Warren M. Fisher

2.0 out of 5 stars A big Thomas Harris fan who feels very let down.
I awaited the release of this book with great anticipation. Every time we reached another Christmas or Birthday, I would head to the book store to see if the next Thomas Harris book was ready for my perusal. I'm sorry to say that I was very disappointed.
Published on 20 Nov 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars A sick love story, 7 Dec 2005
Mr. Warren M. Fisher (East Grinstead, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
HANNIBAL is a contentious book with an even more contentious ending. The debate amongst readers and critics continues to this day. Yes this isn't as good as RED DRAGON, but about on a par with THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. The prose here is more reflective than the propulsive preceding books, the chase replaced by mediation. Starling remains a slightly tedious character (why not bring back Will Graham, Mr Harris) although she is more interestingly flawed than she was in SILENCE, and Hannibal himself suffers when granted the centre stage (he was more interesting in small doses). Humanising him is an interesting move by Harris, but it is ultimately self-defeating. Mason Verger though is a deliciously monstrous creation. Harris does continue his exploration of evil, but this is chiefly a love story, albeit a slightly sick love story. Which brings us to the ending. To dismiss (or rewrite as in the poor movie version of the novel) the ending is to misunderstand the whole book.400 odd pages build to this one ending, to dismiss it is to render the whole work redundant.
HANNIBAL is beautifully written, and Harris continues to conjure with some heady ideas, and only suffers in comparison to Harris's earlier work. A flawed, but fascinating addition to the thriller genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two out of three ain't bad - but full marks to Mr. Harris!, 29 Nov 2005
By A Customer
Ok, ‘Hannibal’ has been hailed the worst of the Hannibal Lecter trilogy, but I am here to disagree. It is just a slightly different genre, and may not appeal to all you pyscho lovers out there! It is nowhere near as thrilling as the first two books (‘Red Dragon’ and ‘The Silence Of The Lambs’ for all you Hannibal virgins out there!) however; I think it is the most essential. After reading the first instalments, I wanted to find out more about Dr. Lecter himself, and not just focus on another hero/heroine that saves the American public from an evil serial killer. Don’t get me wrong, ‘Red Dragon’ and ‘Silence’ are quite possibly the best novels of the century, and subsequently great films, but they do not capture my imagination as thoroughly as the third of the series. If you have seen the movie version of ‘Hannibal’, do not be discouraged. Surprisingly I found the film terrible as it did not incorporate the most important aspects of the plot (and changed the ending, which was vital to the storyline).
I absolutely loved how Thomas Harris delved into the character of Hannibal, and gave us a taster of his history. I also love how this scarily intelligent and eloquent doctor actually has the views of a 5-year old (see Mischa and Clarice). After ‘Silence’ I was eager to find out what Hannibal actually felt about Clarice, and it is all answered in this book (I LOVE the ending!). It emphasises the characters more than a murderous plot, as seen in the previous two, which I felt gave more depth to the novel and made it so much more interesting. However, the best part of this book is how Harris encourages and builds a relationship between the reader and Dr. Lecter, and by the end I found myself actually liking the vile serial killer! Then I started thinking, what is so bad about eating people anyway?!
(Disclaimer – I am a vegetarian!!!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever writing, 27 Aug 2011
readerman (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
I read this book when it was first released and ordered it again to re-read after seening a DVD of the film "based" on the novel.The really frightening part of reading the novel was,to me,starting to like Dr Lecter and hoping for the escape of a badly damaged and extemely dangerous person.This in my opinion is extemely clever writing on the part of Thomas Harris.Yes, the novels dealing with him and some of the other characters (on both sides of the law) are horrifying,but very clever writing.
Pity the film maker seemed to miss the point in the ending of this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gruesome masterpiece!, 12 Sep 2001
By A Customer
What an outstanding book, Hannibal had me gripped all the way through. I had seen the film before reading the book, but I thought that the book may turn out better than the film, and it did. Some parts were a little drawn out and perhaps even boring, but they were often made up for by the next grisly and shocking stage of the story. A good read for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 23 Aug 2001
By A Customer
I was expecting this to be disappointing, how could it possibly live up to Lambs & Red Dragon? I wasn't disappointed it's excellent, gripping, terrifying. I loved it!

2.0 out of 5 stars A big Thomas Harris fan who feels very let down., 20 Nov 2002
By A Customer
It appeared from the outset that Harris was writing this book not for his fanatical readers... but only in anticipation of a big budget movie. Harris's impeccable writing style made it easy to clearly see the movie sets and imagine those points when the actors would have their big "moment"... but in return the story failed (for me, at least). Most importantly, I simply could not buy the ending. I felt that it betrayed the original characters and strayed too far from the original atmosphere of the first books... I don't want to give away the end of the book, but I could never believe the way that the relationship between the two leads developed. The only thing that kept me going to the end was the still enticing prose that Harris manages to conjure.
Please, read all the Thomas Harris books... he is simply marvellous. I even believe that you SHOULD read this one... and find out for yourself if you agree with me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Others were better, 21 April 2008
Mrs. S. Payne (UK) - See all my reviews
I read Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs and thought they were fantastic and I couldn't wait to read Hannibal. I have seen the films but the book present so much more. I was, however, left very disappointed with Hannibal. I am aware that I was comparing it to the previous two books but this seems to be written very different. I also didn't like Hannibal and I felt he was very different from the previous stories. This was no where near as thrilling as the other Hannibal stories and the ending was really bad and totally unbelievable. I am glad I read it but would not necessarily recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars i loved it!, 19 Jan 2007
i'm sorry to say that yes i really did love this book. I love the character of Dr Lecter and in this book we see another side to him, other than the monster, and begin to understand why he is fascinated with clarice. Mason Verger is also another excellent character and is possibly worse than Dr Lecter in the gore stakes. I couldn't put this down and read it in 4 days straight after reading the new 'Hannibal Rising' which is also excellent. The ending of Hannibal is great and nothing like the film and I was so disappointed in the fact that i had finished the book so quickly, i turned back a few chapters and read them again. Hannibal is completely different to silence and red dragon, but is an excellent book. The only downside is that could this be the last time we read about Dr Lecter

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written thriller, slightly 'out there' in concept, 21 Aug 2002
M K Battersby (Wigan, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A lot has been said and written about both the moive and book already of Hannibal. Thr book has some great character development with lots that was missed out in the subsequent movie therefore if you are a fan of hannibal the only way to really know him is through the books. I find Hannibal even more chilling out in the open and his coolness and intelligance make him one of the true great anti hero characters in modern literature. The book is written in a very descriptive way giving much knowledge to the area and environments it describes. A truly great but not perfect thriller by a meticulous author who spends time researching detail to get it perfect for his work. Fascinating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling towards the end but a bit slow at start, 22 July 2002
By A Customer
I was looking forwards to this book and was quite dissapointed at the start when i found i was not getting into it. I think the main problem with this story was keeping apart the two main characters until the very end as their relationship was a large part of the success of the previous book. In the end the book really comes together and in itself is one of the best pieces of writing that i have ever read. If you can keep with the story long enough to get to this point this i would definately recommend it.

ARRAY(0xa8094f84)

Hannibal
Hannibal by Thomas Harris (Hardcover - 8 Jun 1999)
Used & New from: 0.01