5.0 out of 5 stars Different but the same

Published on 27 Dec. 2010 by Katie Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Different but the same, 28 Mar. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Quicksilver (Baroque Cycle 1) (Hardcover)
I admit Stephenson, aong with James Ellroy, is one of the few authors I buy as soon as a new book is released. I've enjoyed every book he's written, even his earlier stuff such as The Big U where he was crafting his trade. Cryptonomicon is a fantastic read which goes flying off on tangents such as cryptography, politics of the Phillipines, dot com business and the perfect way to eat breakfast cereal. As a result, I waited with bated breath for Quicksilver.
I was not disappointed. Set in the reigns of Charles II, James I (of England, if you're Scottish) and William and Mary, it traces the lives of Daniel Waterhouse, Bob and Jack Shaftoe and Eliza, a freed Turkish slave. Walk-on parts go to Isaac Newton, Gottfried Liebniz, Robert Hooke, Robert Boyle, Christiaan Huygens, Samuel Pepys, Judge Jeffreys, Christopher Wren and John Churchill, to name but a few.
As in his other books, there are several stories going on at once, which he moves between regularly, but there is an underlying central theme involving the politics of Europe in that era. I read the book once and immediately read it again, the second time picking up the classic Stephenson detail about the creation of the banking system, the Puritan movement, the gigantic scientific strides taken in the period and the intrigues which took place in the courts of England, France and the Netherlands. It is not surprising Stephenson takes so long between books as the research he does in diverse subjects is enormous. For instance, he has clearly studied Winston Churchill's biography of John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, which is a humungous collection of letters, etc covering the period that could have been converted into a novel on its own. But this would have covered perhaps 10% of what this story is about.
His writing style is very clear and his use of English (as spoken at the time in England) does not cause problems with understanding. The characters are all fully rounded and their actions and reactions are plausible.
As with many of his fans, I have problems with the ends of some of Stephenson's books (for his explanation, see his webpage). This book, neatly gets over this by being the first in a trilogy and leaves you with a cliffhanger which forces you to buy the next in the series (not that I object).
In summary, Cryptonomicon this is not although it has been cited as a prequel. There are several names mentiones which appear in Cryptonomicon also and there is reference to cryptography, although this does not feature as a major factor as it did before (however there is a thread in the story which plays on the breaking of a cypher). The second part of this trilogy is out in UK next week, and I for one will be getting hold of a copy as soon as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book from an excellent literary cycle - but make sure you get what you pay for!, 11 Jan. 2007
Green Alien (Southampton. U.K.) - See all my reviews
Quicksilver is the first part of The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson, a magnificent historical romp that explores the Age of Enlightenment with a humerous, intelligent and well-researched mix of fact and fiction. When originally published it was as 3 volume hardback set; however, each hardback book contains 2 or 3 sub-books and these have been published separately by some paperback publishers such as Harper Torch, so the paperback version of the complete cycle can consist of 7 separate books! My advice would be to check what you are getting before parting with your cash as some of the paperbacks on sale aren't the bargains they seem to be.

For example, the first hardback volume of Quicksilver consists of Quicksilver, The King of the Vagabonds, and Odalisque, and runs to nearly 1000 pages; the paperback that just contains Quicksilver is only 456 pages. Buyer beware!

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertainingly Educational, 18 Dec. 2007
J. Hind "John Hind" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
It irritates me intensely that Stephenson's Baroque Cycle is frequently classed as Science Fiction, even in bookshops. It is quite straightforward Historical Fiction (or Faction as it mixes real with imagined characters). It seems if you write one SF novel in your life, you are forever tainted with that label! This cycle of books will appeal to anyone interested in history, particularly the history of ideas. Stephenson's great talent, also evidenced in his Cryptonomecon, is his ability to infiltrate a surprisingly deep and sophisticated educational experience into a really good novel.

I have just finished reading the complete cycle again and for the first time in order (more than two thousand pages in total). It is a stonking good read, with only the odd page or six tending to drag a little. It is easy to say it needs an editor, but the problem is that an editor would probably cut far too much, and the wrong bits. Stephenson can make a conversation about philosophy between two princesses in a garden into a really exciting page-turner, but his action passages tend to drag badly. These can feel like a scene-by-scene description by a nine-year-old boy of a movie he's just watched!

Stephenson's trick is to tell the story from the perspective of three invented characters who have a modern outlook on life (while not being glaringly anachronistic). This enables him to render characters like Leibnitz and Newton accurately as only partly modern figures (Newton is an alchemist and Leibnitz something of a religious obscurantist), whilst allowing them to be viewed and interpreted by characters we can identify with. Contrast this with John Banville's frankly unreadable novels about Copernicus, Newton and Kepler in which the accurately rendered thought processes typical of the times are alien and incomprehensible to the modern reader. We forget that science has selected the stuff these early scientists got right and edited out whole bodies of nonsense.

Read these books for their exciting narrative, great characterisation and lovely, flip humour. But you will find that you have absorbed an amazing amount of knowledge, both traditional historical knowledge and also the foundations of modern science and capitalism. This experience left me viciously angry about the lousy standard of history teaching in schools. When I was taught this period, nothing happened that did not involve the British, and history was the tedious machinations of kings, politicians and religious nutters. Stephenson's history is global in scope and unashamedly emphasises the origins of the ideas that have lasted to shape the modern world.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the effort but consume in small doses, 27 Dec. 2010
Katie Stevens "Ygraine" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
When I first started this book I found it opaque and thought it had too many storylines which seemed completely unconnected with too many characters that I didn't particularly like. I ended up setting it aside for several months and only picked it up again in order to finish it so that I could get rid of the terrible thing. However, evidently the break was exactly what I needed, as this time around I found it fascinating and everything clicked into place, and now I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the Baroque Cycle.

The book was still confusing and was by no means an easy read. It is written in several different forms: regular prose, playscript style and in letters where the real message is hidden in italics among the main body of the missive. The narrative skips about from one character to another, in between countries and passing over chunks of time, so Stephenson keeps you on your toes constantly. But this time I enjoyed the challenge rather than being frustrated by it. I think part of the reason that it feels so difficult is that it's such a large book that it can be easy to find it overwhelming. I noticed that the novel is in fact divided into three books, and I think that when I approach The Confusion, the rather appropriately named second volume of the Baroque Cycle, I will take a break to read something palate cleansing in between the composite books so that I don't become fatigued and disillusioned as I did with Quicksilver. This seems a far more sensible way to tackle these massive, dense books and I would recommend this approach to anyone else.

Although there were lulls in between the good bits, when Stephenson gets it right his writing is perfectly pitched, wry, deadly accurate and very quoteable. It is full of encoded stereotypes, contemporary and modern, and biting satire. He has an impressive way with words, and hopefully I'll be able to appreciate this a bit more in future volumes now that I've learnt to stop fretting about the plot(s).

I've been a bit nervous about reading alternative history in the past, primarily because my historical knowledge of any given period isn't sufficiently complete for me to be able to distinguish exactly what is history and what is the author's own deliberate departure from it. In order to verify everything that went on in Quicksilver I would have to research for years, and I have a huge respect for the effort that Neal Stephenson has obviously put into crafting his slightly off-kilter seventeenth century, but at any rate the events of the book were so bizarre (I seem to recall chasing ostriches in Vienna, although that was in February's section so I may well be wrong) that I decided to throw caution to the winds and just to go with it. I think that is the best attitude to have when reading this book, as its wonder doesn't rest on what is accurate and what isn't but on the world full of intrigue, real or not, that Stephenson has created.

Quicksilver is hard work to read, but ultimately I found it to be worth the effort. The story is very tangled, but cleverly so, and the rewards for the reader who is prepared to sit and unpick the knots are great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long enough to last, 19 Dec. 2006
How many times have you read a book and you are half way through and you realise that within a few days it'll all be over... and that thought depresses you. You want to continue exploring the world the author has created, to read more about the characters within and find out all the small bits that have been hinted at. Well, most of the reviews of Quicksilver on here complain of the length of the book and talk of it as a weakness. Personally, I see it as a strength. You get hooked into the story Stephenson weaves and the length of the book ensures maximum satisfaction. There are two more after this and both are bigger. It's a sprawling magnum opus for Neal Stephenson. The culmination of years of work and deserving of every accolade the industry throw at him.

The story is 90% fiction with a liberal dashing of fact thrown in for good measure. Set in the 17th century, we follow the predecessor of Neal Stephenson's other heroes (the Waterhouses and Shaftoes of Cryptonomicon) as he becomes a narrator for a tale of royal intrigue, scientific warfare waged between Liebniz and Newton and the beginnings of the fictional Shaftoe legend.

This truly is one of the very best books I have had the pleasure to read in the past ten years. The inclusion of real historical figures, such as Robert Hook, Isaac Newton, Liebniz and various Kings of Britian and France just added to the whole atmosphere of the book. My particular favourite character is the enigmatic rogue, Jack Shaftoe. Deserter from the English army and turned mercenary he sets out with fortune hunting in mind and ends up becoming King of the Vagabonds. The story of his rise, fall and rise again and the clever way that Stephenson has weaved all the pieces of his puzzle together makes for the best reading of a not-really-that-sciencey fiction story I've encountered. Read it and rejoice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 8 May 2008
I think Neal Stephenson might be my favourite writer. Friends that came to this after Cryptonomicum or his cyber punk novels have sometimes found it heavy going - you need to be able to read it in big chunks to really immerse yourself, especially at the start when you need to get into the style. But it's dealing with the same Stephenson ideas as always: loyalty, the individual vs the system, and above all information: how to handle it, think about it, and that in the end everything including money is based on information.

It's an extravegant slice of history - Restoration in England, religious settlements in America, the founding of modern currencies and stock markets, the shift from alchemy to modern science and technology, colonies, world trade, - even Peter the Great and the sack of Vienna make appearances.... Plus laugh-out-loud humour and characters that live on in your head long after the books are over. Fantabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baroque Masterpiece, 14 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Quicksilver (Baroque Cycle 1) (Hardcover)
Going beyond what William Gibson and Bruce Sterling managed with The Difference Engine, yet again Neal Stephenson stretches the boundaries of what we consider to be Science Fiction. The first book in the Baroque Cycle is a deeply compelling read, taking us back to when Natural Philosophy emerged and began its evolution away from its Alchemical roots and into what became modern Science. Starting with Daniel Waterhouse, progenitor of the Waterhouse family of Cryptonomicon fame, Stephenson not only makes history real and also exciting, blending his fictious characters in with the political, social,and intellectual giants of the age, he casts a light on metaphysical and scientific debate which we take for granted almost 400 years on. Despite the apparently serious content, the writing style is once again very funny and extremely witty, creating a marvellous world in which historical facts form only a part of the tapestry, offset by the all too human actions of the protagonists. This book shows that Neal Stephenson is in a different league from his SF contemporaries. I for one can't wait for Book 2

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of sheer class, 30 Nov. 2004
Richard (Sapporo, Japan) - See all my reviews
I stumbled upon this book in a Japanese bookstore and bought it on a whim, mainly because English language books in Japan are pretty expensive. I thought given its weight, this one might last me a while. I'd already read Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash" some 10 years before and remembered how much I had enjoyed it back then, so I was curious to see if he could write as well about past history as he does about the future.
Quicksilver is an absolute treat. The characters are richly detailed and really draw you into the story. The way Stephenson cleverly weaves their lives together from different directions, jumping backwards and forwards in time on occasions to contrast different stages of the overall story makes me realize why this guy is a bestseller, and I could never be. The sheer consistency throughout the book (despite its length) at times almost makes you want to sit back and gasp. There are simply no weak, or boring parts.
Other than pointing out that the book largely takes place in the late 17th century in Europe I'm not goint to spend time outlining the plot (there are other reviewers who have done that already). But don't be put off if historical novels are not your thing. I was a little unsure about whether I'd be interested in this period of history until I read Quicksilver, and now I have to say I'm absolutely hooked.
Quicksilver itself is divided into 3 "books" (although these are contained within a single volume). At the end of the first book I had grown quite fond of Daniel Waterhouse (the main character) and was disappointed to leave him behind for a while. However Stephenson quickly introduces the hilarious double-act of Jack and later Eliza in book 2 and the story just gets better and better.
As a portrayal of history I can't say clearly how accurate the story is - clearly a good dose of artistic license has been taken, but as a thrilling, exhilarating (and at times laugh-out-loud) journey into the past, it is simply faultless. One word of warning... This is an intelligently written work and at the risk of sounding snobbish, probably won't be your cup of tea if you're more at home with Chris Ryan or Jeffery Archer. However if you like to read something which leaves you feeling genuinely more enlightened than when you first picked it up, you can't go wrong with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than we deserve, 5 July 2004
This review is from: Quicksilver (Baroque Cycle 1) (Hardcover)
I must confess up front that I love this book, I love the next one (The Confusion), and I love everything else (in greater or lesser amounts) that Neal Stephenson has written. Cryptonomicon was fantastic, an effortless weaving of multiple strands. The Baroque Cycle (of which Quicksilver is the first) is more ambitious but just as successful.
I cannot understand those who complain that there's no plot. Apart from the vast, overarching plot of the development of the modern world, Stephenson chucks out a multitude of plots, schemes, machinations and ideas, any of which would have served as the basis of an entire book for his lesser contemporaries. It's true there is no simple dramatic thread, but that's like complaining that there's no disco beat in Mozart (though a more resonant comparison would be Bach). Anyone with any interest in this period of history would appreciate that allusion and discursion are part of the mechanics of telling a story, their initial irrelevence merely a way of determining the most critical distinction of that time: who understands what is really going on and who does not. If you like Tom Stoppard, you'll like this.

Similarly, there seems to be a moan from those who want it to be more like Snow Crash - you know, proper SF. Grow up - Stephenson has. This has all the intellectual thrills of Snow Crash, but made far more resonant by being embedded in a time of true intellectual discovery. Yes, there are contrivances galore, but they are so charmingly lobbed in that they produce something that does not fit an any pigeonhole I would care to define.
Like Stoppard's plays, this book makes you feel cleverer than you are. However, Stephenson's huge range, his wit and clarity of vision make this one of the most humbling books I have ever read. In this dumbed-down world we do not deserve this man.

3.0 out of 5 stars When science was fiction..., 29 Jan. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Quicksilver (Baroque Cycle 1) (Hardcover)
This first book in Stephenson's "Baroque" cycle starts brilliantly, timehopping chapters introducing a complex brew of early science, religious descent and dynastic politics in late 17th England.
Things go horribly downhill in the middle section with the introduction of two very annoying characters, Jack the Vagabond and Eliza, the slave-girl he rescues from the siege of Vienna. Jack's only there to set up implausible comedy-action setpieces which might work in a movie but fall flat on the page. Eliza's role is to meet all the major characters in the book and write them interminable letters updating them on the plot.
Not that it's clear that there is a plot, but the book marches happily along to the drumbeat of 17th century history, and there's two more books for Stephenson to work out his grand design. It all passes the time agreeably enough, particularly once you learn to skim read anything involving Jack and Eliza.
Not one for the fan of the traditional historical novel, nor if you're expecting the depth of Barthes or Pynchon. But if you like to see a science fiction sensibility brought to bear on an era when science itself was more imagination than dogma, then this is for you.

Quicksilver (Baroque Cycle 1)
Quicksilver (Baroque Cycle 1) by Neal Stephenson (Hardcover - 2 Oct. 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01